• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

I was looking at these for $625 on CMP's website. Are these worth having? I mainly want an accurate M1 to shoot at the range and don't care serial numbers matching up, etc. Do you all think the $625 model would fit the bill?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Hi all,

I was looking at these for $625 on CMP's website. Are these worth having? I mainly want an accurate M1 to shoot at the range and don't care serial numbers matching up, etc. Do you all think the $625 model would fit the bill?

Good deal. The Service Grade for $625 is a great way to get a piece of history and a fine shooter. Get one along with a $98 can of HXP ammo and have a blast at the range. I have both a SA and a H&R Service Grade. Get them while you can, they won't be available forever and you can't find one for that price outside of CMP.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yes, if I hadn't gotten my hra from a board member I'd get a cmp gun

No better deal on earth

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    You cannot beat it. Just go look at Gunbroker at the prices for Garands. There is quite a premium for CMP rifles with papers. You would be hard pressed to get a Garand for $625 these days. I just got mine last week and it is great. It is almost all matching HRA parts with the exception of the SA replacement op rod. And for the $25 shipping charge, you get a nice Plano hard plastic rifle case.

So why the premium for the CMP Garands? Because you just cannot walk in and buy one unless you meet the eligibility requirements and provide proof:
    1) US Citizenship
    2) Over the age of 18 years old
    3) Membership in a CMP affiliated organization (I joined the M1 Collector's Club for $14)
    4) Marksmanship or firearm related activity (your C&R license is sufficient but there are other ways to be eligible)
    5) Be eligible to own a firearm (they do a NICS)

You must get the mail order form notarized as well.

As another poster said, make sure you also buy some of the HXP ammo. You will be hard pressed to find a better source of ammo for the Garand. Remember that modern .30-06 is not appropriate for a Garand UNLESS it specifically says it is for the Garand OR you have modified the Garand to fire it.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I think they are a great deal. I received my first one last week and it was the Springfield Armory Service Grade and it is in great condition for $625 and it has a great plastic CMP Gun Case.

I have been learning a lot about these guns with help from members on this board and it seems like the ones they are releasing now are in great shape.

Jim'sKid

Feb 14, 2013
    Mount Airy
    Definitely a good deal and a great shooter. Just make sure you take it apart completely and give it a thorough cleaning. They've been packed away awhile.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think everyone should own either an M1 Garand or an M1 Carbine - both if you can. I own the Garand, but I'm looking to pick up a Carbine at some point.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    They are a great deal.

If you do it put a sticky note on your order saying first time buyer not looking for history just want a great shooter. Please send me the best barrel numbers you come across.

Does this mean you will get a pristine barrel no but many have included stickies and they seem to come through when they can.

Just to restate the obvious YES there are well worth it, I have 3 with like new barrels that are all great shooters.

I used a hunters safety card, I would think an HQL would work. Honestly call them and ask they are great to deal with and constantly over deliver.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know about a HQL, but they accept the Maryland Police Training Commission online Firearms Safety Training certificate that was offered up until Oct. 1.

If they took that, then they should take the HQL.

I just did the proof of marksmanship form and had an NRA RSO fill it out. You can basically bring it to any range and have an RSO watch you and fill it out.
    http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    If they took that, then they should take the HQL.

I just did the proof of marksmanship form and had an NRA RSO fill it out. You can basically bring it to any range and have an RSO watch you and fill it out.
    http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf
    Yep that's exactly what I did when I was getting my first CMP Garand. The range officers at the NRA range have no problem signing the sheet off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom