• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There was an earlier thread where someone was asking if putting a 1.5 inch flash hider on a 14.5 inch barrel would give the person a legal 16 OAL barrel.

Every reply told the OP he was good to go. So I just thought I would add some food for thought in a new thread.

You need 16 inches OAL at a minimum.

Screwing a 1.5 hider onto a 14.5 barrel will give you less than 16 OAL. It will be 15.25 OAL.

If you just butt the hider up against the barrel, then yes, it will be 16 inches.

The female threads screwing onto the barrel threads shortens the OAL.

You will need longer than a 1.5 hider.

It would be 1.5 plus the length of the barrel threads for OAL (MINIMUM) hider length.

Add a 1/4 inch fudge factor to the OAL of the hider.

OAL is measured from a closed bolt face to the end of the hider. Best measured with a brass rod down the barrel.

This really makes me wonder how many illegal rifles, based on a minimum of 16 OAL, are actually out there using this 1.5+14.5 set-up .

Enjoy the pictures and stay out of FPYITA prison.

Flash hider butted up against the end of the barrel. 1.5" + 14.5" = 16" OAL

Attachments

• hider oal 001.JPG
      hider oal 001.JPG
      48.6 KB · Views: 298

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is what happens when you screw that flash hider on. It's no longer the same OAL.

If the thread length on the barrel is .750 long, then you will need (at a minimum) a 2.250 inch hider. 1.5 + .750 = 2.250

This is common sense for some, but others are just not getting it.

I hope this helps some and don't forget to have it PINNED and WELDED after you install it.

PS: Does this information qualify for a STICKY?

hider oal 002.JPG

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    Dude, I am not a lawyer but the flash hider must be permanently pinned to the barrel, such as removing it would destroy both.

Bravo Company makes a great Flashhider/Comp hybrid that is elongated to meet BATF restrictions on barrel length:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Compensator-MOD-1-5-56-p/bcm-gfc-mod-1-556.htm

EDIT: Ok I see, I though you were _asking_ us. Yes it does need to be pinned, I am not sure about wielded but yes,
    some secondary form of permanent attachment needs to accompany the pinning job.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Dude, I am not a lawyer but the flash hider must be permanently pinned to the barrel, such as removing it would destroy both.

Bravo Company makes a great Flashhider/Comp hybrid that is elongated to meet BATF restrictions on barrel length:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Compensator-MOD-1-5-56-p/bcm-gfc-mod-1-556.htm

EDIT: Ok I see, I though you were _asking_ us. Yes it does need to be pinned, I am not sure about wielded but yes,
    some secondary form of permanent attachment needs to accompany the pinning job.

YES! I was not asking a question.

Just trying to get folks to understand that 1.5 + 14.5 doesn't give 16 OAL when screwing on a flash hider.

The above math will give a person a barrel shorter than 16OAL.

And, YES, it must be welded also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom