• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    I took the Dark Angel Medical course this past weekend in Chantilly, VA hosted by F3 Tactical. I wanted to write up this AAR to let any prospective students and anyone on the fence know this course is GTG. Let me start by saying I have had various training (although brief) on use of tourniquets, pressure bandages, and other first aid (ie. CPR/AED). I took this course to learn the proper use of several of the items sold in blow out kits as well as to get an all encompassing training of everything I had already learned. Despite having taken several shooting courses over the years, this is the first medical class I have ever taken.

DAY 1:

Kerry Davis was the instructor for the class. He gave a brief introduction of himself and his expertise.We then went around the room and introduced ourselves and what we did for a living. Handbooks were provided for the course.

After the introductions the first thing taught was the proper application of the CAT tourniquets. Training tourniquets were provided to each student to be used throughout the class. When then timed how long it look us to apply a tourniquet. This would become a theme throughout the course. Periodically Kerry would call out an appendage and everyone would rush to apply a tourniquet to that area as quickly as possible. We progressively became faster at the application. This would become key when we learned and were shown how quickly you can bleed out.

The course then jumps into the science behind the injury. "Blood belongs in the body, it's science" was the motto. When learning the science behind traumatic injuries that motto was key when we learned how quickly you can pass out and eventually die from hemorrhaging. A brief lesson in anatomy and physiology were given based upon hemorrhage, airway, breathing, circulation and "da brain"

Kerry went through the most common traumatic injuries seen on the battlefield and in the civilian world. Stab wounds, gun shot wounds, blast wounds, burns, the list goes on. Each injury was broken down in what it does to the body and how it harms/kills you. This took up most of the day. It may sound boring, but Kerry kept it light and broke up the power points and lecture with videos and real life stories.

At the end of the day we began to learn about the various treatment methods for traumatic injury

DAY 2:

Day 2 picked up where Day 1 left off with treatment of the injuries. Along with the proper use of the tourniquet, wound packaging, hemostatic agents, pressure bandages, occlusive dressings, nasal airway and various other methods of treatment were taught.

After treatment Kerry went into gear. He addressed the various tourniquets and hemostatic agents on the market (pros and cons). He addressed what should be in your BOK and what shouldn't.

There was a brief discussion on the difference between BOKs and Boo Boo kits. Kerry also went over first aid for various basic injuries. Breaks, sprains, snake bites, cuts, the list is too much to list.

The second half of day 2 was filled with practical exercises. Kerry provided a hands on experience with wound packing in an artificial limb and nasal airway placement in a dummy head. He also provided hands on work with various other trauma care items. We then moved onto partner exercises with application of tourniquets (eyes open and closed), patient assessment and scenario discussions.

The class ended with presentation of certifications and BOKs. Jeff Gonzalas of Trident Concepts graced the class with his presence and gave Kerry the thumbs up.

I can't stress enough how much I took from this class. I'd have to write a ten page AAR to explain everything that was taught. I highly recommend this class to everyone! You will have an eye opening experience and be better prepared to address traumatic injuries.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty much echoes all the reviews of the class and Dark Angel. Glad you had a good experience! Pretty sure Mopar doesn't have his $400 any longer and missed out.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I took it 2 years ago in Chantilly. My AAR is floating around here somewhere.

I can echo what the OP said. A great class, and probably of more value than any shooting class. Kerry is a great instructor, one of the top five I've had on ANY topics in any of my schooling, ever. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom