• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    G&S was ruled ok by the 4CA. It has no bearing on the DC Circuit and Judge Scullin.. IMO the wording in the Judge's order will prohibit any form of G & S restrictions. I hope we're right on this.

Chief Lanier said she's not worried about street level crime, just enhanced security for the Govt because of Wash's "unique" ( her words paraphrased) role as the seat of Govt. Those folks have more protection than Ft. Knox. What else do they propose?

IANAL.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

None of the plaintiffs here has what I would say is a heightened threat. So does DC give them a permit and then say no one else meets that threshold? Or do they just flat deny everyone? Only an idiot wouldn't see through those two scenarios. But then again we do have Federal judges more than willing to buy that kind of nonsense.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    G&S was ruled ok by the 4CA. It has no bearing on the DC Circuit and Judge Scullin.. IMO the wording in the Judge's order will prohibit any form of G & S restrictions. I hope we're right on this.

Chief Lanier said she's not worried about street level crime, just enhanced security for the Govt because of Wash's "unique" ( her words paraphrased) role as the seat of Govt. Those folks have more protection than Ft. Knox. What else do they propose?

IANAL.

The question is (assuming no appeal) would Scullin have to OK this? Recall in Moore where CA7 allowed Illinois to simply pass a new law, and rule the case mooted at a point when a total ban was still in effect. I would agree Scullin's opinion makes it difficult, but if DC appeals then the DC Circuit may do what Posner did and allow for shenenigans to take place.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I believe Tom Palmer is gay and faced harassment and assault and wanted protection from that. Is that heightened enough ?

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    None of the plaintiffs here has what I would say is a heightened threat. So does DC give them a permit and then say no one else meets that threshold? Or do they just flat deny everyone? Only an idiot wouldn't see through those two scenarios. But then again we do have Federal judges more than willing to buy that kind of nonsense.

This is exactly what I would do if I were them. Nothing in that ruling forces D.C. to go shall issue. Rather than appeal a case they must lose, a sophisticated actor would revise the permit system to go may issue immediately. That would force a new lawsuit that would take years to litigate and who's outcome is unclear.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Just an FYI, I got a teletype stated that for 90 all previous laws are in effect but to be discretionary because some may not know about the stay......what this means is.....for 90 days....DONT CARRY IN DC.

I'm sure you all knew this already but just giving you the offical word!

Yes the infos late but I've been in training.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is exactly what I would do if I were them. Nothing in that ruling forces D.C. to go shall issue. Rather than appeal a case they must lose, a sophisticated actor would revise the permit system to go may issue immediately. That would force a new lawsuit that would take years to litigate and who's outcome is unclear.

I would love it if they did and it ended up backfiring on them to the degree that it also reversed Woolard

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just an FYI, I got a teletype stated that for 90 all previous laws are in effect but to be discretionary because some may not know about the stay......what this means is.....for 90 days....DONT CARRY IN DC.

I'm sure you all knew this already but just giving you the offical word!

Yes the infos late but I've been in training.

Appreciate it

The stay is done 10/22 :)

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Just read the article, and I agree... She is saying this is not going to be a huge deal. Almost as if she's conceding that carry is an eventuality in the District.

But this struck me:

I can make that really simple for her... Let the law-abiding gun owners handle their own first-level security, then you can get back to brown-nosing the "dignitaries".

I stand by my earlier assessment that they really don't care about the average citizen's safety.

Don't all those unnamed, "sensitive things" (e.g. self-important people) to which she and others refer already have their own dedicated, specialized protection forces, some complete with their own dedicated, specialized swat teams, and all of which are separate and apart from MPD?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    If Palmer goes to appellate court, and that decision is appealed... The SC just might decide Palmer is the right vehicle in which to resolve the inter-circuit split and rule on the RKBA.

That would most certainly "reverse" Wollard and resuscitate liberty.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Lanier truly ISN'T concerned about street crime, as she says. This is an inadvertent honest moment for a liberal anti-gunner. Short of confiscation, the anti-gunners could get everything on their bucket list, and still not touch inner-city gang and drug violence where 90% of gun homicides occur.

This is evidence that they really aren't sincere about public safety, or reducing gun violence. Those victims of that gun violence get no consideration whatsoever. Who is she concerned about? dignitaries, officials, politicians . . . you know, important people.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Don't all those unnamed, "sensitive things" (e.g. self-important people) to which she and others refer already have their own dedicated, specialized protection forces, some complete with their own dedicated, specialized swat teams, and all of which are separate and apart from MPD?

Of course they do, but that's hardly hand-wringing fodder for the press, is it?!!:innocent0

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Lanier truly ISN'T concerned about street crime, as she says. This is an inadvertent honest moment for a liberal anti-gunner. Short of confiscation, the anti-gunners could get everything on their bucket list, and still not touch inner-city gang and drug violence where 90% of gun homicides occur.

This is evidence that they really aren't sincere about public safety, or reducing gun violence. Those victims of that gun violence get no consideration whatsoever. Who is she concerned about? dignitaries, officials, politicians . . . you know, important people.

Ironic, because legal aliens (ie dignitaries) could carry for self defense once the stay is lifted.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Nothing will "reverse" Woollard, but hopefully we get something equivalent nationally.

Baker, Peruta, etc. loom large now.

If there is a solid Scotus ruling for bearing outside of the home, another run could be taken at Maryland's good and substantial reason requirement. At that point it might even win on a motion for summary judgment.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Of course they do, but that's hardly hand-wringing fodder for the press, is it?!!:innocent0

Right.

Is there a comprehensive list or chart somewhere of ALL the various federal and DC gov't. police and protective forces with operations in DC, along with a breakdown of their manpower, budget, and description of their duties/powers/jurisdictions? Could be interesting.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So according to a DC council member, people who carry are a threat to the first amendment? Jesus these people are stupid.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Actually couldn't Gura get the judge's attention and hold them in violation of the ruling, not requiring a lawsuit but merely court action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom