How many felons and fugitives bought regulated guns, how many prosecutions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just read this too. So there's 50 people out of nearly 130,000 WOULD HAVE BEEN NABBED BY THE FVCKING NICS... Nearly 300 folks didn't even know they were barred from firearms ownership...

Then there's that smarmy twerp Demarco saying that there will never be another backlog. The article acknowledges that sales have dropped sharply.

Eat a back of salted phalluses, O'Malley, majority of the MDGA, Demarco, and the MSP. As a matter of fact, find to bags of salted phalluses.

We will not go away quietly.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    As Lou45 pointed out:

345/128,640(per article) = .00268 or just barely over 1/4 of 1%

There is no mention of how the publicized strangely slow MSP processing rate before 10/1 may have attracted some of these prohibited purchasers to take advantage of a situation solely created by the state which then refused to extend the deadline to allow for a more orderly process.

The author also does not appear to fully understand the NICS check or how the MSP essentially prevented this effective method of screening out the more egregious prohibited purchasers. This would not have stopped all 345 because even the Feds have not dreamed up as many prohibiting events as Simmons.

Which brings me to the detail numbers:

345 - "41 felons, 10 people barred from gun ownership under federal law, and five people considered fugitives" = 289?? Who are only prohibited by MD law?

56/128,640 = 0.0435% of total applications

56/345 = 16.232% explained

289/345 = 83.768% unexplained

Finally:
    "A key gun-control advocate bemoaned the flood of firearms purchased in the state, but emphasized that it was a temporary situation.

"It's unfortunate that there were so many guns being bought that there was an overload, but it will never happen again," said Vincent DeMarco, president of the Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence advocacy group that worked to pass the state's strict new gun law. Gun sales have plummeted since the law took effect.

"This problem has been solved," DeMarco said
    ."

Why do I feel that the "problem" he was referring to was the exercise of our rights and not the processing delays?

I should not be surprised by how unbalanced this article is, it is the Sun after all.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Diet

Just read this too. So there's 50 people out of nearly 130,000 WOULD HAVE BEEN NABBED BY THE FVCKING NICS... Nearly 300 folks didn't even know they were barred from firearms ownership...

Then there's that smarmy twerp Demarco saying that there will never be another backlog. The article acknowledges that sales have dropped sharply.

Eat a back of salted phalluses, O'Malley, majority of the MDGA, Demarco, and the MSP. As a matter of fact, find to bags of salted phalluses.

We will not go away quietly.

Hahahahah that is the first, that I have ever seen for.ahhh.......salted products!! :lol2: But, if ANYONE should be the FIRST TO EAT them, it should be our Guv'ne!!! :party29:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Gun sales have plummeted since the law took effect.

We know that the major reason for this is the fact that people bought so many guns in the months leading up to the deadline. He can certainly take credit for the decrease in gun sales, but he should also take credit for the 9 "assault weapons" I purchased as a direct result of this law. If this law had never been passed, I would likely have only bought one of the 9 banned firearms I purchased for fear I could never get them again. That's 8 more guns "on the streets" than there would have been without the law. Congrats Vinnie!!!

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I just left a comment on the Sun website

This article is so full of downright lies, spun figures, wrong interpretations, etc., it might as well be considered fiction and read to kids in the back of Barnes and Noble by some high school drop out wearing a big fuzzy bear costume.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We know that the major reason for this is the fact that people bought so many guns in the months leading up to the deadline. He can certainly take credit for the decrease in gun sales, but he should also take credit for the 9 "assault weapons" I purchased as a direct result of this law. If this law had never been passed, I would likely have only bought one of the 9 banned firearms I purchased for fear I could never get them again. That's 8 more guns "on the streets" than there would have been without the law. Congrats Vinnie!!!

The street? You should keep your guns in the house, like I do!
    :innocent0

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    "Police provided more detailed records for background checks completed from October 2013 through March. During that time, guns went to 41 felons, 10 people barred from gun ownership under federal law, and five people considered fugitives."

This tells me that even with the HQL, the MSP cannot weed out all of the miscreants. O'Malley's plan really works! :sarcasm:

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Police say a team of undercover troopers has recovered nearly all of the 364 firearms sold to people barred from owning them, but four guns have not been retrieved. "To us, the danger has not passed," state police spokesman Greg Shipley said.

So once they recover those four guns we'll be, like, safe and all? Crime should really plummet then.

Dream on, Vinnie et al.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Interesting...

Dealers and gun-rights advocates contend that the vast majority of guns were released to people who ultimately cleared background checks and that the state's bureaucratic delays should not infringe on Second Amendment rights to own guns.

We're not causing you a problem... HONEST!!

Most of the guns went to people who did not know they were barred from owning them, Shipley said. Some were convicted in other states where their crime doesn't result in losing gun rights. Others were convicted of crimes years ago, long before state lawmakers decided those offenses deserved longer sentences that result in losing gun rights.

I'm altering the bargain. Pray I don't alter it any further.

--Darth Shipley

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So in other words... The State of Maryland did indeed endanger its citizens by refusing to allow the FFL's to perform NICS checks on the sales in lieu of the MSP, despite their repeated inquiries to do just that.

Who's responsible for those releases???? O'Malley and company.

Tell the truth!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    "It's unfortunate that there were so many guns being bought that there was an overload, but it will never happen again," said Vincent DeMarco, president of the Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence advocacy group that worked to pass the state's strict new gun law. Gun sales have plummeted since the law took effect.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-gun-backlog-20140409,0,587561.story#ixzz2yURGgpMf

IMO what this shyt bag is saying is we took the regulated long guns away from them and they wont get their HQL so there will never be enough regulated gun buyers in the state of md to make a backlog ever again. and sadly he may well be right. when ever the fsa 2013 lawsuit gets to court and if we win i fear that the average gun owners have spent all they are going to spend already on purchasing. i will keep on buying but some of the guys i talk to say they cant or wont for a long while after last years push. i guess we will see when it comes to pass.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-gun-backlog-20140409,0,587561.story#ixzz2yURGgpMf

IMO what this shyt bag is saying is we took the regulated long guns away from them and they wont get their HQL so there will never be enough regulated gun buyers in the state of md to make a backlog ever again. and sadly he may well be right. when ever the fsa 2013 lawsuit gets to court and if we win i fear that the average gun owners have spent all they are going to spend already on purchasing. i will keep on buying but some of the guys i talk to say they cant or wont for a long while after last years push. i guess we will see when it comes to pass.

Don't you think DeMarco's quotes could be used in the lawsuit to show the sole purpose of the legislative action was to inhibit exercise or 2A? Anyone in the "know" about the lawsuit that can offer an opinion on those comments made by the antis?

The sole purpose was to inhibit commerce!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Don't you think DeMarco's quotes could be used in the lawsuit to show the sole purpose of the legislative action was to inhibit exercise or 2A? Anyone in the "know" about the lawsuit that can offer an opinion on those comments made by the antis?

The sole purpose was to inhibit commerce!

i dont know but if i was to venture a guess they had a lawyer tell him how to say it and he or they will say that they have "streamlined" everything so there will be no more back up. a bold faced lie but they are good at that now arent they.

i just think everyone should buy all the regulated guns they can to jamb them up. thats not what i thought last year but as it stands now i believe they can surely say "look, we sped things up and now only a few are buying guns so we fixed the problem". another lie but the one they want everyone to believe, imo.

and the very few people who slipped thru the cracks during the back up is just more smoke and mirrors bullshyt to scare those who dont know better.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland

I think you bring up a good point about the sales of guns prior to 10/1. Its completely misleading for anyone to claim that gun sales plumeted after the "evil gun ban" went into effect. If you look at the gun sales in the months prior to the bill passing, yes they did. I wonder what they look like if you look at a bigger sample. In reality, when they passed that bill I'm sure gun sales went through the roof. Of course they were going to come down eventually, that type of buying isn't really sustainable.

I'm in the same boat. I was in a mad dash to buy the evil guns before they made them illegal. There is no way I could maintain my spending levels the way the were before the ban, buy my m1a and ar-15's are happy I splurged when I did.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Of course The Sun is going to spin the story. This worthless rag isn't even worthy enough to use as toilet paper in my opinion. All the talk about going after individuals that knowingly bought guns when prohibited is crap. Maryland has become more a criminals' right state than a law abiding citizens state so I'm not shocked to hear of very few attempted prosecutions.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    "Over the course of last year, dealers released 51,812 guns before a background check was completed. They could legally do that because of a loophole that allows them to give out firearms after waiting a week, regardless of whether the check is done"

Well hey, you know what? Loophole? Fu*k you! Your donkeycrat party passed that law and in pending doom of SB281, what the hell did you think the reaction was going to be, the same amount of guns being purchased?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom