• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    If you ever wanted proof that stronger gun control laws do not correlate with lower gun-related homicide, here you go. (Keep in mind that this is data from 2010.) I've tried fitting a trend to this mess and nothing reliable comes out. All you can really say is that most states have low Brady scores (below 20), and most of them are below the national average for gun-related homicide (3.0 per 100,000).

I made sure to highlight some of the strong gun control holdouts (including Maryland) and some of our favorites as well for comparison.

I was rather surprised by that Maryland, as a state, stands out as badly as it does. Third in the nation overall in gun-related homicides. I'm used to looking at cities in other states, not whole other states. Wow.

(Note, DC is not on the plot because there is no Brady score associated with it, plus it's not really fair to compare a city with an entire state.)

Attachments

• Brady Score vs Gun Homicide Rate.jpg
      Brady Score vs Gun Homicide Rate.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 718

Mr H

Banana'd
    Interesting you should post this...

I was just listening to a report yesterday about how bad some areas of NOLA are, we See Louisiana where it is on the chart.

And, once again, we see Illinois (even with Chitcago) besting Maryland........

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I’m always curious as to why Hawaii and Louisiana are outliers in these studies.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I’m always curious as to why Hawaii and Louisiana are outliers in these studies.

New Orleans has some VERY, VERY violent areas and I don't think the rest of the state can balance that out.

Hawaii is small, lots of US military and tourists to balance out the population.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Hawaii is the model of if you have no way to transport guns across state lines gun control works in an isolated region. Louisiana I believe has most of its population concentrated around a few cities.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    You make my head hurt man.

English please. Preferably without so many syllables and double negatives. :o

I'm reading it as: High correlation doesn't prove causation, but if you're telling me you're doing something (gun control) to have an effect and there is none (or the effect goes the other direction) it does prove that you're full of frosh.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    What are the other 2 states near Hawaii?

Plots like this are normally split into quadrants. Put another line at Brady = 20 and you can group states into 4 categories.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

The fact that Hawaii is the only island on the list means that it's going to behave differently in the distribution. It's overall homicide rate is closer to the national average, but it's fraction of homicides committed with a gun is very low (only 28%).

As for Louisiana...think New Orleans. Coupled with the fact that the New Orleans metro area accounts for a quarter of the state's population, and you get some really skewed statistics.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

One word: Culture

That's the most important factor in the gun law/gun violence rate and why both sides are able to quote data and find outliers.

But if you discuss culture, you might as well discuss mental health and by that point you're already labeled a racist.

The bottom line to all the madness: there is no broad evidence to suggest that gun control reduces gun crimes in a given location. Just ask the CDC.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    What would be more telling is the Brady score vs urban density or poverty levels instead. The two primary drivers of gun crime are living in urban blight and being poor. One of the primary reasons LA is so far right, it's got a lot of both.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    What would be more telling is the Brady score vs urban density or poverty levels instead. The two primary drivers of gun crime are living in urban blight and being poor. One of the primary reasons LA is so far right, it's got a lot of both.

Ask and ye shall receive....

EDIT: I added the poverty vs gun homicide chart. Holy cow! I'd call that a pretty strong correlation.

EDIT2: The poverty stats are from 2009, the others from 2010. So it's not a perfect comparison, but it's the best I could do in short order.

Attachments

• Urbanization vs Brady Score.jpg
      Urbanization vs Brady Score.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 546
    • Poverty vs Gun Homicide Rate.jpg
      Poverty vs Gun Homicide Rate.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 517

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    You make my head hurt man.

English please. Preferably without so many syllables and double negatives. :o

If the number of guns goes up,
    and the number of crimes goes down,
    then it is not possible for guns to cause crime.

I only use the first when I want to bitch slap a liberal that thinks they are smarter than god. :lol2: Its fun.. :)

But like I said that's only with folks that think they should know better and don't listen anyway :)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013

EDIT: I added the poverty vs gun homicide chart. Holy cow! I'd call that a pretty strong correlation.

EDIT2: The poverty stats are from 2009, the others from 2010. So it's not a perfect comparison, but it's the best I could do in short order.

Careful that can support an argument in favor of creating a high financial bar to gun ownership-- we both know its not poverty but liberals will jump all over it.

They are and always will be elitistist.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore

Thanks! Not surprised at all to see the worst Brady offenders are all in urban-dense areas. I'm guessing those diamonds on the top left are all cities in Texas and Florida...

The second chart is quite interesting, I'd always assumed higher correlation between poverty and gun crime. But I bet that chart is a little skewed since it doesn't differentiate between urban and rural poor.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

did you try rental vacancy rate (proxy for decay), youth unemployment?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    did you try rental vacancy rate (proxy for decay), youth unemployment?

You are making a case for something you may not want...

It is not our job to solve the crime problem. It is our job to refute the claim that gun control helps in any way to solve the crime problem. We have done that.

We have no further obligation. The opposition will hang you if you continue--- see for example the failure to allow 18 yo to have hand guns... you are making that case.

If you must game this out at least understand the flank you are exposing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom