• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Anyone have anything like that?

Looking for a 10.5-12" SBR AR57 upper to pair with my SS Sparrow.

Hoping someone has one out there that could give me thoughts on how it performs?

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Funny you post this....

I just finished my AR57 build on Thurs and will be shooting it on Sunday. I bought the 16" to use with my sparrow and will be submitting the paperwork for a 10" in the next few days.

I'll let you know how the range went- the biggest problem is subsonic 5.7 rds are not available (at a reasonable price) to the public so it'll be quieter, but still pretty loud.

If you want to take the ride to damascus on Sunday PM me. It would be nice to catch up regardless.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    The actual company ar57 sells a 6" upper designed for the can to fit almost entirely under the rail. Slick looking little thing.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The actual company ar57 sells a 6" upper designed for the can to fit almost entirely under the rail. Slick looking little thing.

Here you go.

Attachments

• AR57-6-Suppressed.png
      AR57-6-Suppressed.png
      19.4 KB · Views: 433

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You would have to pin and weld the suppressor on, at least today.

No SBRs under 29". So about a 10.2" minimum barrel length. Or make a pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only if you SBR'd them before Oct 1. Even a pre-Oct 1 receiver will not be approved for an under 29" SBR.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Only if you SBR'd them before Oct 1. Even a pre-Oct 1 receiver will not be approved for an under 29" SBR.

Hopefully that will change.. We'll see what type of responses come from MSP and ATF shortly..... Hopefully. :)

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Wouldn't a dedicated rimfire upper not fit the centerfire CC criteria? I wonder if they would allow a rimfire .22 upper only be allowed as main configuration since it is rimfire only?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That would be an interesting one.

Might be worth a try. Someone did a 15-22 under 29" recently.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Funny you post this....

I just finished my AR57 build on Thurs and will be shooting it on Sunday. I bought the 16" to use with my sparrow and will be submitting the paperwork for a 10" in the next few days.

I'll let you know how the range went- the biggest problem is subsonic 5.7 rds are not available (at a reasonable price) to the public so it'll be quieter, but still pretty loud.

If you want to take the ride to damascus on Sunday PM me. It would be nice to catch up regardless.
    So I took it out and shot this evening. What a fun rifle!

I was in Richmond this morning for a little getaway and conveniently the Richmond gun show was today so I picked up a few 50rd standard capacity mags on the way home.

I put 70 rounds through it and it didn't miss a beat. Rapid shooting was easy to keep on target, recoil was minimal and my only complaint- it's a lot fun to shoot and ammo is about 25% more expensive than .223.

I'm looking forward to taking the muzzle device off and trying it with my sparrow.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    You would have to pin and weld the suppressor on, at least today.

No SBRs under 29". So about a 10.2" minimum barrel length. Or make a pistol.

The 10"-10.5" barrel length only applies to SBR's if that length barrel is needed to achive the magical 29" OAL.

If that AR57 modular upper by itself (w/o the barrel), meets the 29" requirement the barrel length is unimportant.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in regard to barrel length, SBR's and SB281. For SBR's the barrel length can be "any" as long as the OAL meets or exceeds 29" so for those wanting to silence their guns they can slap on a 3 1/2" barrel, screw in their can of choice (if you can get it to fit inside the rail) and go to town.

If the above is followed there is no need to permanently attach the suppressor. This will only be legal of course with a modular, (non-removable) one piece rail upper.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Uuuh, MSP and BATFE both say muzzle devices need to be PERMANENTLY installed to count towards overall length.

Yes, if the upper is that long, go for it, but I haven't seen an upper that long without the barrel. Even the .50 cal uppers aren't THAT long.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    Uuuh, MSP and BATFE both say muzzle devices need to be PERMANENTLY installed to count towards overall length.

Yes, if the upper is that long, go for it, but I haven't seen an upper that long without the barrel. Even the .50 cal uppers aren't THAT long.

That's correct but I was speaking specifically of OAL san's barrel. If the OAL meet's or > the standard you wouldn't need to worry about pinning the muzzle device that way you could have a legal SBR and your suppressor wouldn't have to add to the OAL.

A rifle length modular upper would suffice (12") or maybe even a 10" if you have a looong buttstock.

My mounted AR57 upper comes in at 28 7/8's to the end of the rail with a M/P CTS and standard buttplate (extended). Your problem would be solved with the extended buttplate M/P offers as it adds 3/8". If you used a mid-length modular upper you may have to tig weld an extension onto the upper barrel channel to get the desired OAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only if the rail or handguard is permanently attached.

"Removable muzzle devices (flash suppressors, muzzle brakes, barrel extensions, etc.), do not count towards overall length or barrel length measurements. However, permanently affixed attachments are considered part of the barrel.

The acceptable methods for permanently attaching a device of this type to a firearm barrel involve (1) using deep-penetrating, full-fusion, gas or electric steel-seam welds or (2) using high-temperature silver solder exceeding 1100 degrees Fahrenheit. Depending on he dimensions of a particular barrel, it may also be possible to permanently affix a device by drilling a blind hole through the attachment and into the barrel wall. A steel pin that is flush with, or below, the outside diameter of the muzzle attachment is then inserted, and the hole welded closed. Tack-welding is not an approved method for permanently attaching a muzzle device to a firearm barrel.

John R. Spencer
    Chief, Firearms Technology Branch
    7/18/2011"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom