• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    No, 1911 builds are tough. Definitely not a DIY gun unless you really know what you're doing. If you want to build a pistol, an AR pistol would be far easier.

If a gunsmith builds it for me from my provided parts is it still exempt from having a serial number?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If a gunsmith builds it for me from my provided parts is it still exempt from having a serial number?

No. You can build it for your own personal use without a serial number, but if you transfer it to someone else, you have to number it and do a normal 77r transfer, with HQL, waiting period, etc.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    No. You can build it for your own personal use without a serial number, but if you transfer it to someone else, you have to number it and do a normal 77r transfer, with HQL, waiting period, etc.

So leaving it with a gunsmith to work on for a few weeks is legally considered a transfer? D@mn I hate MD sometimes. :mad54:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    the "manufacture for personal use" firearm cannot include professional work on it to complete the regulated part. The gunsmith then becomes co-manufacturer, but his compensation is money, not co-ownership of the firearm. See? Does not work.

Not Maryland. Federal.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    the "manufacture for personal use" firearm cannot include professional work on it to complete it. The FFL then become co-manufacturer and thus, regulated.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. As much as I hate to hear it I guess it makes sense under MD's BS laws.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So file in a small cut for the slide rails, drill tiny holes for the hammer and sear pins, and drill out a tiny hole for the barrel seat. By that point, wouldn't you have technically "manufactured" the frame, and can turn it over to a gunsmith for "tuning?"

That's a really roundabout way to get a no HQL 1911 though. You're better off finding a C&R one like a Sistema.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. As much as I hate to hear it I guess it makes sense under MD's BS laws.

Actually, I re-edited my post because I felt it was not clear. See below:

the "manufacture for personal use" firearm cannot include professional work on it to complete the regulated part. The gunsmith then becomes co-manufacturer, but his compensation is money, not co-ownership of the firearm. See? Does not work.

Not Maryland. Federal.

So file in a small cut for the slide rails, drill tiny holes for the hammer and sear pins, and drill out a tiny hole for the barrel seat. By that point, wouldn't you have technically "manufactured" the frame, and can turn it over to a gunsmith for "tuning?"

That's a really roundabout way to get a no HQL 1911 though. You're better off finding a C&R one like a Sistema.

I don't think any gunsmith will risk a federal charge for manufacturing an unregulated firearm subject to regulations for the $$ you would give him for a "tuning". It would be he said/she said about whether he worked on the regulated part and even if he was exonerated it would be a huge legal bill and a permanent shadow over him with ATF.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    To help answer the OP's original question, the initial answer would be NO. You need an HQL to buy a stripped Glock frame. The reason is because, from what I'm aware of, Glock does not manufacturer for resale, stripped frames. Therefore, at sometime of any Glock frame's life, it was originally manufactured as a pistol (handgun) post January 1st 1985. Thus, must be listed on the handgun roster and the transferee must posses an HQL. HOWEVER, if you were to buy a frame/receiver that was never manufactured as a handgun or rifle, then YES it would be "Other" and an HQL would not be required, just like the current AR-15 receivers.

I've never personally attempted this, as it was moot up until the new laws. But, I plan on running through this law exercise after I get home from my deployment. I've been eyeballing a nice Caspian 1911 frame for a match gun. Again, this is my interpretation of the law so please don't take it as gospel, and finding a willing FFL might also be challenging.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah , but there are at least two aftermarket Glock compatable frames on the roster, Lone Wolf and CCR Raceframes ( think I have the initials right , they are in Richmond Va , and make metal Glock compatable frames) .

As noted , there is at least one complete Carbine assembly readily available , or one could combine an aftermarket 16in bbl and one of those shoulder stock thingies that fit into the same hole as "glock plugs" .

Answer #1 - I *should* be available to be transfered as a non-regulated Other.

Answer #2 - The first buyer and willing FFL to attempt to do so will cause MSP's head to explode, and a long period of vigorous discussion by all parties will follow for an extended time period.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Ah , but there are at least two aftermarket Glock compatable frames on the roster, Lone Wolf and CCR Raceframes ( think I have the initials right , they are in Richmond Va , and make metal Glock compatable frames).

Yeah I saw that, and my guess is that they were put on the roster due to long bouts of confusion over the laws. I'd be careful in using the roster as the all seeing regulating authority. The roster was originally intended as a "safey" measure against cheap "Saturday-night specials". How can you determine safety from only half of a potential complete firearm? It doesn't make any sense, of course that's my mistake, trying to make sense again :sad20:

For instance look at my previous example. Caspian Arms Ltd. it also has an entry for frames and under model number and caliber, it just has "ALL". WTF?
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...e/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18002

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Handgun Roster Board's creation and early history has been discussed frequently, but here another quick rundown :

1. Not that there is any such Sat Nite Special , but the cheap POS pistols we all visualize had already disapeared from the marketplace for other reasons prior to this Bill/ Law.

2. The origonal intention of the Anti's was to use the board to decline all or nearly all handguns.

3. (Seperate story about the shenanogans of the other side to cause a narrow defeat ). Seeing the huge upswell of pro 2A voters , the otherside blinked / figured the time wasn't ripe yet , and en mass approved the then current product lines of Colt and S&W ( and possably Ruger , brain fade ).

4. Since then the board has been pointless , but is kept in existance just to harass us.

So no , it's not supposed to make any sense.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    3. (Seperate story about the shenanogans of the other side to cause a narrow defeat ). Seeing the huge upswell of pro 2A voters , the otherside blinked / figured the time wasn't ripe yet , and en mass approved the then current product lines of Colt and S&W ( and possably Ruger , brain fade ).

Actually the board was made of people with some sense, and they approved every available pistol except some derringers and the NAA mini .22 revolvers. All because of the lack of trigger guards.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    just some necro to see if anyone has any more info or thoughts

Frame or receiver alone does not need an HQL. Whether or not it needs to go on regulated paperwork depends on the frame, according to MSP. This includes stripped, factory glock frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom