• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Ive always been told 4 inch maximum and that switch blades were illegal, while assisted was legal

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I thought MD was a 3 or 3.5 inch blade maximum.

Not sure how blade length is measured either.

Here's a question...

If part of the "blade" is not technically a "knife", but a "saw", does that still count as blade length?

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    This.

It's in MD code, and also has been upheld in a court case. A folding knife is a penknife, regardless of length, and is not considered a concealed weapon.

I believe OC has additional restrictions, though.

You are correct and I think the further restriction(s) imposed there targeted open assist knives. Just like the very one I carry.

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    I thought this would open a debate about what is and what is not legal to carry in Md. Just because a knife is illegal to carry either openly or concealed it does not necessarily mean that it is illegal to own.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I thought this would open a debate about what is and what is not legal to carry in Md. Just because a knife is illegal to carry either openly or concealed it does not necessarily mean that it is illegal to own.

I think that's spelled out in your attachment. As far as debate, there really wouldn't be any if the law is spelled out correctly?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Only half a smart-alec question, but I'm actually curious.... would something like this be considered a folding knife (not that I'm eager to put that in my front pocket). Seems like this might meet the letter but not the intent of the law. Anyone know for sure if it would be OK to carry something like this in a jacket while camping/hiking?

14618174_1_l.jpg

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Only half a smart-alec question, but I'm actually curious.... would something like this be considered a folding knife (not that I'm eager to put that in my front pocket). Seems like this might meet the letter but not the intent of the law. Anyone know for sure if it would be OK to carry something like this in a jacket while camping/hiking?

14618174_1_l.jpg

I think the blade has to fold in to the handle.

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    A large man, with a small knife and a frown, is much less scary
    than a small man, with a large knife and a smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom