• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Has anyone come up with a definitive answer as to whether or not the Cetme is now legal for sale/purchase in this state? Time to let my old horse go but I don't want to break the law. So, long arm or banned arm?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's not specifically on the list. The question is if it's a copy of something on the list.

Not exactly. The Hk91(G3) is a copy of the CETME not the other way around. The Hk is the banned firearm.

The real question is "is it banned if something on the list is a copy of it?"

I would argue that no, it shouldn't be banned(although MSP probably will say it is banned), as it's not completely parts compatible with the G3. To draw a very loose comparison, the CETME is to the G3 what the M1 is to the M1A.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That would be an interesting one, since not all parts are interchangeable, due to dimension differences. :)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I would think it is. The CETME is mechanically identical to the G3, but not fully parts interchangeable. The AR-10 is mechanically identical to the AR-15, but not fully parts interchangeable. The CETME predates the G3. The AR-10 predates the AR-15.

In addition, this is how it's worded:
    (25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3
    It specifies the A3 (retractable stock) variant of the HK91, the A2 variant of the HK93 (fixed stock), and the A2/A3 (fixed and collapsible stock) variant of the HK94.

Since the Mini-14 w/folding stock ban does not apply to non folding stock Mini-14's and the SKS w/ detachable mag ban does not apply to fix mag SKS rifles, and the SIG550 in .223 ban does not apply to SIG556R's in 7.62x39, is this a blanket ban on all G3 derivatives or just the specific models listed here?

Of course, there's also this:
    (37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3,
    SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding
    the M1 Garand
    Maybe a ban on Springfield Armory G3's is interpreted as a ban on all things G3? The ban on Springfield Armory M1A's is a ban on all M1A/M14 semi auto rifles rather than just that specifically named product.

Of course, logic does not apply in MD.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Perhaps an FFL here could ask MSP for clarification on this one? Being sure to present the fact that they are NOT completely parts interchangeable.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    Guys, asking the MSP questions in a way that will result in a favorable outcome takes money and a lawyer. This is not a burden the FFLs should have to shoulder on their own.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    When I bought mine years ago, I do believe it was C&C. I could be wrong, but I really do believe it was C&C.

Jim Smith

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    When I bought mine years ago, I do believe it was C&C. I could be wrong, but I really do believe it was C&C.
    conversely, i know when i bought my CETME, it was sold as regulated... but this was also in 2003, and who knows if that dealer was just flat-out wrong about the need to consider it regulated.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It was always supposed to be C&C as it was never on the regulated list. Most dealers wouldn't sell it that way though.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It was always supposed to be C&C as it was never one the regulated list. Most dealers wouldn't sell it that way though.

Thanks for confirming. This old man's mind still functions some of the times.

Jim Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom