• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    A CETME is about the only semi auto .308 I can afford right now. I am on the fence. I assume the CETME is regulated in MD because it has a detachable 20rd magazine, and is black and scary. I did not see it on my Maryland State Police Assault Weapons list 5-101(p), but I stilll assume it is. I just want to make sure if I do buy it after Christmas, I send it to the correct FFL.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You assume correctly... MD gun dealers will treat the CETME as regulated even if the bolt carriers won't swap between the weapons it is similar to like the HK91 which is regulated. Nearly everything else does.

It is regulated because it's considered a clone/copy of the HK-91A3, not because it is scary.

(25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3 <- This list is VERY specific and technically the HK-91 A3 and A2 are not the same as the CETME.
    (33) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber) <- Only folding stock .223 models.

From a purely technical assessment, an argument to state the CETME is not regulated could be made, but no dealer is going to hang their ass out that far to find out. The argument that I would make is that HK-91A3 (like the ruger mini-14 with folding stock) are regulated because of the collapsible stock, and not for any other reason... All other HK-91 models are obviously NOT REGULATED. The CETME does not have a collapsing stock though... and thus is NOT the same.

Cheap semi-auto non-regulated .308's are fairly rare beasts. The cheapest non-regulated .308 battle rifle you find today is the FN-49 for $579 from SOG (at last count they had 7 left) and those were "parts guns" (although pretty complete.)

Mark

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    You assume correctly... MD gun dealers will treat the CETME as regulated even if the bolt carriers won't swap between the weapons it is similar to like the HK91 which is regulated. Nearly everything else does.

It is regulated because it's a clone/copy of the HK-91, not because it is scary.

Cheap semi-auto non-regulated .308's are fairly rare beasts. The cheapest non-regulated .308 battle rifle you find today is the FN-49 for $579 from SOG (at last count they had 7 left) and those were "parts guns" (although pretty complete.)

Mark

What is SOG? Thanks.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Cetme actually would fall under a clone of the HK91, even though the Cetme was the original rifle that the HK was patterned from.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Cetme actually would fall under a clone of the HK91, even though the Cetme was the original rifle that the HK was patterned from.

Right, but here is the rub, the HK 91 is not what is regulated, ONLY a specific model was regulated the HK91A3 (retractable stock and rifled barrel), all other HK 91's should not be regulated any more than Mini-14's without folding stocks.

There are four models of the HK91:

* HK91A2: Fixed stock and semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group.
    * HK91A3: Retractable 1-position stock and semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group.
    * HK91A4: Fixed stock, semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group and Select Polygonal Bore.
    * HK91A5: Retractable 1-position stock, semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group and Select Polygonal Bore.

If they wanted to ban ALL HK 91's why didn't they?

§ 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that firearm:

Additionally there is the letter from the Maryland State Police that upholds the interpretation that specific models are regulated. For example they state in firearms bulletin 96-1 that rifles that do not meet the definition of assault weapon per 18 USC 921(a)(30) can be sold without a regulated firearms form (77R) and that even the Arsenal SA93 was NOT REGULATED despite having an AK action because it was a "sporter" version.

Mark

Attachments

• MDSP.pdf
      302.8 KB · Views: 88

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Right, but here is the rub, the HK 91 is not what is regulated, ONLY a specific model was regulated the HK91A3 (retractable stock and rifled barrel), all other HK 91's should not be regulated any more than Mini-14's without folding stocks.

There are four models of the HK91:

* HK91A2: Fixed stock and semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group.
    * HK91A3: Retractable 1-position stock and semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group.
    * HK91A4: Fixed stock, semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group and Select Polygonal Bore.
    * HK91A5: Retractable 1-position stock, semi-auto "SE" or "0-1" trigger group and Select Polygonal Bore.

If they wanted to ban ALL HK 91's why didn't they?

The obverse of the argument is, they didn't spell it out like the M1 Garand or the HBAR.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The obverse of the argument is, they didn't spell it out like the M1 Garand or the HBAR.

Why didn't they spell it out with Mini-14's, and state that only fixed stock versions in .223 were legal?

I can't tell you why they did what they did... They obviously felt that folding stock weapons were more dangerous than fixed stock weapons. The legislature really had it's head up it's ass when it passed this law because it accomplishes nothing...

The 1996 Maryland Gun Violence Act was a sad joke.

Mark

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/rifle-cetme.aspx <-- CETME's $499

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The legislature really had it's head up it's ass when it passed this law because it accomplishes nothing...

The 1996 Maryland Gun Violence Act was a sad joke.

Mark

No one can argue with that statement, unfortunately the law is what is it, until the law gets changed.

Hopefully our new defined fundamental right, will be seen as such!

Sirex