• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Post up the text of any suggestions you have sent to you representatives for the rest of us to modify and use.

I am writing to you today to ask you to consider a piece of legislation that I believe is important. Maryland has long been know for its disregard for the rights of its citizens concerning firearm ownership. The FSA of 2013 has done more to dissuade people from moving to Maryland and has even been the catalyst for some to relocate out of our great state. In particular, the Handgun Qualification License has put an additional burden, both financial and procedural, on all Marylanders.

I am asking that a bill be proposed that would remove the 7 day wait for firearm purchases. The HQL, which currently takes anywhere from 14-30 to be approved, is a much more thorough replacement for the 7 day wait or “cooling off” period. The 7 day wait was originally introduced to prevent an impulse purchase and subsequent crime being committed by the purchaser. The HQL process substantially increases this “cooling off” period when you consider the need for training, finger printing and then the time it takes our state police to process the application and deliver the license itself.

I also believe the removal of the 7 day wait would be welcomes by firearms dealers who have to store purchased firearms for 7-8 days in order to conform to our irrational laws.

I hope you will all find the time to discuss my suggestion with your peers and to present it in time to be considered during this legislative session.

Thanks you for your time and efforts on behalf of all Marylanders,

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Correct me if I'm wrong Tim (or anyone else), but I believe the original 7 day waiting period was not a "cooling off" number that was selected, but a necessary result of approving paperwork in the days of snail mail. They allowed 3 days to mail, 1 day to review, and 3 days for it to get back in the mail.

Was this not where the original "7 days" was derived? And if so, with email and fax nowadays, it should really be about 7 minutes instead of days (exaggerating somewhat)

I think it was "made" into a "cooling off" period by a politician, which really had nothing to do with why there was originally a "waiting period".

Certainly not trying to sidetrack the thread, but if I am correct, it should change your letter.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Post up the text of any suggestions you have sent to you representatives for the rest of us to modify and use.

I am writing to you today to ask you to consider a piece of legislation that I believe is important. Maryland has long been know for its disregard for the rights of its citizens concerning firearm ownership. The FSA of 2013 has done more to dissuade people from moving to Maryland and has even been the catalyst for some to relocate out of our great state. In particular, the Handgun Qualification License has put an additional burden, both financial and procedural, on all Marylanders.

I am asking that a bill be proposed that would remove the 7 day wait for firearm purchases. The HQL, which currently takes anywhere from 14-30 to be approved, is a much more thorough replacement for the 7 day wait or “cooling off” period. The 7 day wait was originally introduced to prevent an impulse purchase and subsequent crime being committed by the purchaser. The HQL process substantially increases this “cooling off” period when you consider the need for training, finger printing and then the time it takes our state police to process the application and deliver the license itself.

I also believe the removal of the 7 day wait would be welcomes by firearms dealers who have to store purchased firearms for 7-8 days in order to conform to our irrational laws.

I hope you will all find the time to discuss my suggestion with your peers and to present it in time to be considered during this legislative session.

Thanks you for your time and efforts on behalf of all Marylanders,

The intended purpose of the 7 day wait was not a cooling off period. It was to give enough time for the background checks to be completed. Now with everything being electronic, most come back within 3 days. Better wording would be that he thorough check is done with the HQL. Their fear will be that something can happen during the 10 years of the HQL. However, anything that should turn that person into a prohibited person would have been addressed and reported to NICS. Therefore after the HQL, only the NICS should be required with no waiting period.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Correct me if I'm wrong Tim (or anyone else), but I believe the original 7 day waiting period was not a "cooling off" number that was selected, but a necessary result of approving paperwork in the days of snail mail. They allowed 3 days to mail, 1 day to review, and 3 days for it to get back in the mail.

Was this not where the original "7 days" was derived? And if so, with email and fax nowadays, it should really be about 7 minutes instead of days (exaggerating somewhat)

I think it was "made" into a "cooling off" period by a politician, which really had nothing to do with why there was originally a "waiting period".

Certainly not trying to sidetrack the thread, but if I am correct, it should change your letter.

The intended purpose of the 7 day wait was not a cooling off period. It was to give enough time for the background checks to be completed. Now with everything being electronic, most come back within 3 days. Better wording would be that he thorough check is done with the HQL. Their fear will be that something can happen during the 10 years of the HQL. However, anything that should turn that person into a prohibited person would have been addressed and reported to NICS. Therefore after the HQL, only the NICS should be required with no waiting period.

Modify my words however you'd like, but send it to your reps.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I never have a problem contacting my Reps.

I just believe we should arm our Reps with factual information. Was not a knock on you.

I understand. I was not around when the 7 day wait was implemented. I have always had to wait. My impression was it was a "cooling off" period.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it was ever said officially that it was a cooling off period, then there is precedence to have to removed. It happened to CA.

makijo

May 31, 2013
    Catonsville
    From the MSP Web Pages:

Regulated Firearm Purchases

During the 7-day waiting period, the Department of the Maryland State Police checks a series of databases to include the Criminal Justice Information System, Criminal History Indexes, District Courts, Parole and Probation, Motor Vehicle Administration, Juvenile Justice System, and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The Department of State Police also causes a check to be made through the FBI’s National Instant Check System. The Department then notifies the dealer whether or not the person is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Secondary sales may be transferred after 7-days if the seller has not been notified by the State Police to discontinue the sale.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    How about suggesting they do away with the waiting period all together. Go through MSP for the HQL, then NICS for the actual purchase. Should someone become prohibited after the HQL is issued, MSP revoke it and notify the FBI. Easy peasy.

Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    Isn't the NICS check a part of the HQL approval process?

Couldn't you do away with that check as well, since you are now a card carrying govt. approved firearms purchaser?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Isn't the NICS check a part of the HQL approval process?

Couldn't you do away with that check as well, since you are now a card carrying govt. approved firearms purchaser?

That would defeat the purpose of making every purchase, every exercise of one's rights as cumbersome, burdensome, and expensive as possible. :sarcasm:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    How about suggesting they do away with the waiting period all together. Go through MSP for the HQL, then NICS for the actual purchase. Should someone become prohibited after the HQL is issued, MSP revoke it and notify the FBI. Easy peasy.

That has ALWAYS been the problem. The MSP is so busy looking at databases for a reason to deny/disqualify you that, when someone actually becomes disqualified, they don't have time to update NICS 9.75 times out of ten.

Maryland is one of the worst states when it comes to updating NICS. And the idiot MGA wants to implement the No Fly List. Sure...

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    The 7 day wait was for the time it took to check the 20 something databases which Maryland has and didn't want us to know about. We know about them now since the politicians can't keep track of excuses they give and it came out that all of these databases exist and are checked. We are waking up, but don't lose sight of the real reasons. Mail can run fast if you're willing to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom