• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Curious. If I have made a homemade lower AR-15 with multi-calibers on it and I am not required to file form 1/4 for SBR on my homemade lower AR15?

Homemade or storebought, if it's an SBR, having an approved Form 1 or 4 is highly recommended. But weigh the options and decide: $200 Tax stamp + a few other minimal fees vs. $250K fine and 10 years in jail. :)

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Curious. If I have made a homemade lower AR-15 with multi-calibers on it and I am not required to file form 1/4 for SBR on my homemade lower AR15?

From what I understand you can not make a NFA item at home, SBR, Suppressor, SBS, or AOW. Someone can correct if im wrong but i thought those were the exceptions in home building.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yes, at others stated, NFA does not care home built or not. If its a SBR (barrel under 16" not OAL) or a MG or a AOW, then it needs a stamp. They will not issue one for a MG, so you can't legally make one anymore. However you can do SBRs and AOWs. AOW being basically a pistol AR with a front vertical grip.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    From what I understand you can not make a NFA item at home, SBR, Suppressor, SBS, or AOW. Someone can correct if im wrong but i thought those were the exceptions in home building.

Sorry, you are wrong. You can make a SBR, SBS, DD, AOW, Supressor and if we were able to go back prior to 1986, a MG at your house as a home build.

You just fill out the paperwork, send it the the ATF with $200+ and wait for it to come back and you can build anything you want. That is unless its a MG in which case they will deny you the stamp today.

Why do you think they did the ban of MGs in 86... $200 was becoming affordable and they had people making MGs in their basements...

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    Alright. Please pardon my grammar. I was typing it on my iPhone.

Next question: Have anyone of you have encountered a police stopping you and to inspect your SBR?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Have several uppers. I was told by the nfa that I just had to have the original upper on it if it went to transfer. I don't have that in writing so do you believe that to be true.

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    Ummmmm. I am going to get two lower ARs before Oct 1. I plan to make both of those for SBR with a 7.5" .223 and a 11.5" .300 BLK in mix of several >16" barrels in .223 and a16.5" .300 BLK.

So I will need to get stamped for the SBR barrels and not the lowers? I hope I could get the stamps after Oct 1. LOL.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No, you need to get both lowers stamped, not the barrels. So, $400 (2x$200).

Also worth noting: if you have a multi-marked lower, you should engrave the caliber from the form 1 on the lower along with your trust name and location. I suspect some people miss this.

No possible way you'll get those stamps before October, unless the examiners take pity on you. MSP will probably let pre-10/1 forms slide by, but some of it is up to the ATF, too.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Alright. Please pardon my grammar. I was typing it on my iPhone.

Next question: Have anyone of you have encountered a police stopping you and to inspect your SBR?

I was heavily questioned by a PA Game Commission Officer while shooting my SBR and suppressed pistol at a public range in Pa last year, but only because he was ignorant of the law. He stared at my paperwork for about 20 minutes then announced that those weapons were illegal in PA since I was an MD resident and he may have to arrest me. Luckily his Sgt. showed up and set him straight. I had a 6.8SPC shorty upper on my SBR lower which is registered as 5.56, the Sgt. mentioned the difference in caliber but only to ask how I liked the 6.8

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    No possible way you'll get those stamps before October, unless the examiners take pity on you. MSP will probably let pre-10/1 forms slide by, but some of it is up to the ATF, too.

I disagree with this. I am not manufacturing anything out of raw materials when I mate a lower with an upper. I am modifying or assembling it into another configuration, not manufacturing.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I disagree with this. I am not manufacturing anything out of raw materials when I mate a lower with an upper. I am modifying or assembling it into another configuration, not manufacturing.
    You should read what that form 1 is: permission to manufacture. You are manufacturing. It really is that simple, and playing this semantics game isn't going to impress the ATF or the MSP.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I was heavily questioned by a PA Game Commission Officer while shooting my SBR and suppressed pistol at a public range in Pa last year, but only because he was ignorant of the law. He stared at my paperwork for about 20 minutes then announced that those weapons were illegal in PA since I was an MD resident and he may have to arrest me. Luckily his Sgt. showed up and set him straight. I had a 6.8SPC shorty upper on my SBR lower which is registered as 5.56, the Sgt. mentioned the difference in caliber but only to ask how I liked the 6.8

ATF does state that any NFA weapon besides an AOW needs thier permission before traveling interstate.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    You should read what that form 1 is: permission to manufacture. You are manufacturing. It really is that simple, and playing this semantics game isn't going to impress the ATF or the MSP.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Not to nit-pick.... Well, yes to nit-pick, but a Form 1 is NOT "permission to manufacture" anything. It IS an "Application to Make and Register a Firearm" where make is NOT equal to manufacture and firearm in this context only covers NFA items (not any firearm). The ATF does differentiate between the two words where manufacture can be included in make, but making doesn't have to include manufacturing.

Some evidence is that if you are using an existing firearm to make into a SBR/SBS the ATF asks for the original serial number. If you were manufacturing a new firearm, a new serial number would be required.

In the case something like finishing an 80%, the Form 1 doesn't cover or apply to any part of turning an 80% into a firearm, it only covers making it into an NFA item.

An example where a Form 1 covers manufacturing is making a silencer, where you are making it from scratch and thus manufacturing it.

Where that will lead in regard to making an SBR after Oct 1, I'm not qualified to say. However, I will be sending in another Form 1 to SBR my Glock in the near future.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom