• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    God I'm getting ready to cave and do this as well and it seems more and more like a giant costly pain in the ass.
    Fixed it for ya. It was $104 for me, minimum - $50 for the initial application fee, and $54 for Livescan fingerprinting, plus I paid another $25 to have it entered into the system by folks who know what they are doing - I felt it was worth it because the system is convoluted and I've read where some people have issues with it due to general confusion on how it's supposed to work.

That doesn't even begin to touch on people who have never owned a gun or served in the military who are obligated to the training fees and live fire. On one hand, I see the training to be a good thing for a novice, but if you have to pay $200+ on top of the cost of the gun itself, it winds up being prohibitive for anyone but the most dedicated, which is of course exactly what the state wants - infringement through licensure and fees.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Trawling through the forum's history, it looks like I might be in that "very common name" second review for CJIS and JIS. Sometimes, I think it would be nice to have a more unique name. Any "common names" out there have timelines as to how long their HQL took? (I'm looking at you, tsmith1499 and 85MikeTPI...)

Edit: Nevermind, Tom and Mike. I found your other posts. I guess I just have to wait out the clock on this one. MSP surely will.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Still showing as "Pending" on the website with just 2 days to go. They sure are taking their sweet-ass time about it. It's a good thing I didn't have deal I was trying to take advantage of because at this point I'd have completely missed it.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Anyone had METERS incomplete? I have everything else complete but that.

For me, METERS completed at the same time as most of the other items. I applied late in the evening on Oct 10, and everything but CJIS and JIS popped up the morning of Oct 15.

I called for info on my status this morning. The woman who answered the phone was very nice, but didn't actually look up my record. She only said it was "probably in a secondary review." Dang common name, likely.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Still showing as "Pending" on the website with just 2 days to go. They sure are taking their sweet-ass time about it. It's a good thing I didn't have deal I was trying to take advantage of because at this point I'd have completely missed it.

Call Licensing Division and tell them the issue and time.....write down names :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Call Licensing Division and tell them the issue and time.....write down names :)
    If my status still reads "pending" tomorrow or I don't get my card in the mail, I'm going to call and raise hell. It's still reading "pending" today though, but until tomorrow, they are still within their 30 days to complete my application. :sad20:

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    If my status still reads "pending" tomorrow or I don't get my card in the mail, I'm going to call and raise hell. It's still reading "pending" today though, but until tomorrow, they are still within their 30 days to complete my application. :sad20:

I called this morning to ask about my status. The woman who answered (different person from yesterday) looked up my info and said it had been "handed off to the trooper for review". She also indicated that the trooper's review could take a couple of weeks (no indication as to why). Perhaps it's in the trooper's inbox and s/he's been on vacation? Interesting that the "trooper review" step isn't documented in the checklist, and that apparently an incomplete checklist doesn't mean it isn't in review.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Got a friend that received their CJIS letter about 2 weeks ago. Everything is complete except for LiveScan (it was done at the last Towson show by FYI). Been like that since the 6th.

sykesville

Ultimate Member

Can't help but wonder if your card was lost in the mail. I recently had some ail go missing. Thankfully it wasn't anything too important. I will no longer use my mailbox.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    IIRC, their is no exemption to the 30 day requirement for MSP to do a secondary review.

30 days is 30 days IIRC.
    So what happens in 30 days if they don't get the review done? Do they have to give you the HQL by default, or do they deny it by default?

Can't help but wonder if your card was lost in the mail. I recently had some ail go missing. Thankfully it wasn't anything too important. I will no longer use my mailbox.
    I don't think it's lost in the mail. My link to the checklist only disappeared a few days ago, so it's possible that my app is done and I just haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

Or....they aren't on their game up there and stuff is falling through the cracks.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Had a VM from Corp. Hail (Hale) on the machine this eve. I had no idea that the NRA Instructor was not what they needed. I will give him a call and let him know I have the QHIC and hope that is the end of it. Update tomorrow

(Wish they would put that up front to save time, then again I wish I could get a CCW)

I have witnessed numerous QHIC's and QHIL's get approved for restricted Maryland Handgun Permits while teaching or transporting firearms or ammunition.

Subjective determinations and changing political whims excepted, I do not see any reason you should not apply.

czechfiend

Oct 16, 2014
    Monkton
    So what happens in 30 days if they don't get the review done? Do they have to give you the HQL by default, or do they deny it by default?

I don't think it's lost in the mail. My link to the checklist only disappeared a few days ago, so it's possible that my app is done and I just haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

Or....they aren't on their game up there and stuff is falling through the cracks.
    If your link to the checklist disappeared a few days ago, this is based off my experience this month as well, that means you are active in their system and your card will be printed soon. I called Monday, because the checklist was removed and I wanted to hear if it was actually active, as I had read. The guy was nice and said that I was active in their system and my card would most likely be printed on Tuesday or Thursday, (That's when they print, not once or twice a month as some have said). So I called Wednesday just to check if it had happened ;) and the lady told me it had been printed and shipped. It did not come today but I expect it will land tomorrow. I applied 10/7. Will post number tomorrow. Hopefully....

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    They had a glitch in their system today where the system was down and I couldn't log in. I just logged in - as of today, my HQL is ACTIVE! :party29: (And apparently it's been active since the 16th)

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    They had a glitch in their system today where the system was down and I couldn't log in. I just logged in - as of today, my HQL is ACTIVE! :party29: (And apparently it's been active since the 16th)

Same here, logged in right after glitch and I'm active!

Aw, I logged in right after the glitch, and got excited that my checklist went away. Then a bit later it came back. :sad53:

I got fingerprinted and applied on 10/21. Just checked online and it shows it being active as of 10/22. Hopefully, I'll get it in the mail in a few days.

That's some serious :bs: Seriously, though, congrats.

Corpsegrinder

Jul 14, 2013
    Applied 10/3 still waiting. Everything checked off on 10/6 except for "Live Scan" that shows still shows "Incomplete". I emailed M.S.P. and got a response that they have 30 days to approve the application. On 10/21 got a call from M.S.P. that the Live Scan place "didn't put it in the system". I go to the place and they check and say everything looks fine and they gave me another copy of the receipt. I called M.S.P. and told them what the fingerprint scanning place said and that they gave me another copy of the receipt. M.S.P. asked me to fax the copy and I did. It's 10/23 going to 10/24 and still "Incomplete". Don't know what else to do at this point only to wait for the 30 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom