• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I was holding off on replying 'cause I'm an ex-navy guy who doesn't know dick about hiking long distances with a pack. :D

Now that you gave the full description of your trip, I'll chime in. I bought two of these from LAPG a while back:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html

$29 bucks. One is sort of an informal BOB, just keep some useful just in case stuff in it (I need to make a list and make it more 'official').

The other one I've been carrying to/from work and on business trips for two years. It's been dragged, kicked, crammed under seats, carrying books, a laptop (inside a sleeve), external drives, network cables, etc, and shows no sign of wear and tear. Just a little dusty.

The one I bought (linked above) is about the max size you can get that you can stuff full of things and still fit under the airplane seat in front of you. The one you linked is a couple of inches bigger in two dimensions... my only concern would be if you intend to shove it under the seat in front of you. It likely won't fit. I don't like leaving my laptop and external drives in an overhead bay, which may be behind me and out of sight.

My link: 19" tall X 13" wide X 12" thick at bottom and 9" at the top
    Your link: 20" x 16" x 12"

Hope this helps.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I was holding off on replying 'cause I'm an ex-navy guy who doesn't know dick about hiking long distances with a pack. :D

Now that you gave the full description of your trip, I'll chime in. I bought two of these from LAPG a while back:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html

$29 bucks. One is sort of an informal BOB, just keep some useful just in case stuff in it (I need to make a list and make it more 'official').

The other one I've been carrying to/from work and on business trips for two years. It's been dragged, kicked, crammed under seats, carrying books, a laptop (inside a sleeve), external drives, network cables, etc, and shows no sign of wear and tear. Just a little dusty.

The one I bought (linked above) is about the max size you can get that you can stuff full of things and still fit under the airplane seat in front of you. The one you linked is a couple of inches bigger in two dimensions... my only concern would be if you intend to shove it under the seat in front of you. It likely won't fit. I don't like leaving my laptop and external drives in an overhead bay, which may be behind me and out of sight.

My link: 19" tall X 13" wide X 12" thick at bottom and 9" at the top
    Your link: 20" x 16" x 12"

Hope this helps.

^very helpful, thanks. I think the pack in the OP is probably too large. The one you linked to is just right.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Sure

For a kick around it's a good price.
    I got a 5.11 covrt 18 when on sale for 70$ so $40 sounds good.
    I use mine for every day carry to work and day hikes.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    If by cheaply constructed and made in China so that it is able to be sold for $40 while still providing profit to the business, than yes it is a good pack.

If price and tacticool aesthetic are your only criteria, it is a great pack.

killborn

Jun 24, 2013
    Crownsville, MD
    I have the smaller version of this, it has held up well over the 3 years I have had it. have not loaded it too heavy and just used as a day bag for me. Only thing I don't like is the zippers are not very smooth. Often have to give them a tug to get them open/closed. Other than that for the price it's a good deal. Why pay $200 plus for a name brand if you are not going to carrying any heavy loads for miles on end.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If by cheaply constructed and made in China so that it is able to be sold for $40 while still providing profit to the business, than yes it is a good pack.

If price and tacticool aesthetic are your only criteria, it is a great pack.

Wrong.

Whatever else, they are not cheaply constructed. I've been beating the crap out of one daily for two years... throwing it in my car, shoving it under airline seats with my foot to make it fit, dragging 30+ lbs worth of crap on one strap through airports, etc.

Again, they are NOT cheaply made.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    I used the LAPG bag for a year and a half for mostly school, but sometimes for day hikes and general purpose stuff. It's a HUGE bag, much bigger than your standard bookbag. Zippers are good, and material isn't too bad. Mine started to rip at the top between the main zipper and the carry handle due to me overfilling it constantly, and it was eventually stolen when my car's window was smashed in.

If you have a tendency of being rough with gear like i am, it'll last about a year or two before the material starts to fail. However if you tend to be more caring with your stuff, then it should last you longer. If i needed another bag I would not hesitate to buy another LAPG pack.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Assuming your trip is on an aeroplane, looks like it will stow nicely under the seat in front of you(that way it's always at hand). Get a good steel carabiner to clip onto the drag loop. They make great "brass knuckles" and the airlines let you have them.:brows:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Assuming your trip is on an aeroplane, looks like it will stow nicely under the seat in front of you(that way it's always at hand). Get a good steel carabiner to clip onto the drag loop. They make great "brass knuckles" and the airlines let you have them.:brows:

Freaking great idea! I was wondering about what "weapons" I could bring that aren't really weapons.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    LAPoliceGear has some great gear. I wear the tactical pants for work every day and have for the last 3 years and still wear the original 4 pairs I bought, not a thing wrong with them. I use the Tactical Diaper Bag for my 2 little girls and it is the perfect size and best of all it is not pink or girly. When I take them out and about I see other dad's staring longingly at my bag while carrying their Pink Princess diaper bags lol. I also run their 3 day pack as Get Home Bags for all of our vehicles and they are great for us. No need to spend $300+ on a bag that will hopefully never be used.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    LAPG has decent gear. I have owned a few of their bags over the years. Is the quality the same as Maxpedition, 5.11, or some high speed company like HSGI or SOE, no quite. But it certainly is not some cheap ebay, airsoft knock off crap.

I don't have experience with the pack in the OP, but I am sure it will be adequate for what you need.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I picked up a pair of LAPG shorts at a thrift store for $3.00. Aside from the main button needing replacing, they're perfect. Tons of pockets and they look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom