• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like a Russian sks to me but I'd need a picture of the top cover and markings to tell for sure. If it's all matching and in good shape, I think you prolly did ok

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I really don't like how the numbers are strategically hidden in the photo. Otherwise looks like a well used Russian SKS. It would be nice if it had bring back papers, otherwise it's just a story.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    The serial number would tell me it's Chinese, but without a picture of the receiver it's just a guess. From what little I know, the serial number is too low to be a true North Vietnamese made SKS. Probably a Chinese SKS supplied to them for the war, once their factories were no longer operational. Very neat.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The North Vietnamese didn't make SKS rifles.

Good, honest wear. Even without papers, I like it.

Snally's new avatar... Not so much.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The serial number would tell me it's Chinese, but without a picture of the receiver it's just a guess. From what little I know, the serial number is too low to be a true North Vietnamese made SKS. Probably a Chinese SKS supplied to them for the war, once their factories were no longer operational. Very neat.

The six digit serial numbers are usually the so-called Sino-Soviet SKSs. If there's a /26\ Jianshe factory stamp beside the serial number, even more likely. Made approx.1956; after that, the serial numbers were 7 digits or more

Go HERE for more detailed info.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    The six digit serial numbers are usually the so-called Sino-Soviet SKSs. If there's a /26\ Jianshe factory stamp beside the serial number, even more likely. Made approx.1956; after that, the serial numbers were 7 digits or more

Go HERE for more detailed info.

Will post findings after I receive the rifle. Only things I can tell for certain is that the rear sight is Soviet, early Chinese or North Vietnamese. If it's Soviet, the gas block curve suggests 1952 or later production. Can't determine anything else.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    The North Vietnamese didn't make SKS rifles.

Good, honest wear. Even without papers, I like it.

Sorry what I meant was there were rifles that were made directly for North Vietnam, and serialized according to their own numbering scheme. This is not one of them. Although without bring back papers it's just a story, the story has a little more meat to it if it was one made directly for North Vietnam, not just a regular Chinese SKS that was provided to the North Vietnamese to use against us.

I didn't want to elaborate on the 2XX,XXX serial number's origin more than saying it's Chinese since so much new information has come out on the SKS boards, and some of Yooper's info may be outdated. I don't know the exact answer, but I do know this is a nice looking rifle without bring back papers. If it doesn't have an import mark, then it should be valued slightly above the price of the recently imported batches.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    no papers,,,, its just a story.
    check for importer marks when you get it.
    good luck!:thumbsup:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I like it. It definitely shows some nice wear, whatever its origin. The metal looks like it could have been in a very humid environment for an extended period of time. The stock is refinished and heavily sanded.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    OH SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puke2: I clicked on his avatar. Something told me not to do that but I did thinking it WASN'T gonna' be what I thought it was, but it IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad20::puke:

Snallygaster, you owe me a nice dinner for the one that I had tonight at SNI's that I just lost. It'll take a few days to get my appetite back after that ordeal.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Good luck, it has the "look' but without the papers it is unfortunately just a story, I have been ready to pull the trigger on some of those myself. I hope you get what you wanted in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom