• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I contacted "Duke" letting him know that I knew about the UPS settlement and he told me that he might be willing to refund my money if I send him the rifle and it passes his inspection. I told him no bueno, and that I would need to receive $500 in certified funds before shipping him anything, and that I would thoroughly document the rifle's condition and packaging before shipment. He has not responded since.

I had a similar situation many years ago, but the seller was an antique aircraft parts supplier. He shipped me wooden materials that were not up to FAA standards, and one of the parts broke upon installation. My local inspector (AI) looked at all the parts and said that he wouldn't sign off if I used about half of the materials I'd been sent.

I called the seller and he said to ship the faulty parts back to him to look at (ie ... hide the evidence). I naively did that, waited for weeks, and finally called and asked what he planned to do.

He said, "I'm up here in Wisconsin with the parts, and you are down there in NC. What are YOU going going to do?!" ... and he slammed the phone down.

Naive though I was, I wasn't stupid. Not only did I have the AI's word that he'd seen parts that didn't pass inspection, I also had a roll of film (remember that stuff?) with very clear photos of the low-grade parts.

I called in the local FAA inspector, showed him the photos and had him talk to the AI. He called the office that covered the region where the seller was, and they paid a surprise visit to the guy's shop. There they found that he was making as selling parts that he was advertising as being certified for use on certificated aircraft, but which were not certificated.

As an interesting side outcome, one of the things they found was that the shop was manufacturing counterfeit skis for light aircraft (with another company's decals on them) and selling the un-inspected counterfeits. The AG in the State of Alaska learned of this and pressed charges. He also blocked any further business by the company in that state (pending the outcome of the charges, I think). Not being able to sell aircraft parts in Alaska is a HUGE hit to any dealer, since there are so many planes there.

After all of this stuff had happened, I called the guy back up, told him who it was, and said, "I'm down here in NC, and you are up in WI. THAT is what I'm doing."

He called me every name in the book--saying I was the worst thing that ever happened to aviation, that every other pilot in America would hate me, saying that he was the last person providing parts that people needed, etc., etc. I just laughed at him and told him that's what happens to crooks.

Karma's a real bitch. He continued selling parts made by other manufacturers, but the FAA closed him down from selling stuff that he was making.

No, I never got any of my money back, but it no longer mattered at that point. I made the parts that I needed, with the blessing of the FAA, and they lasted more than 20 years--until the next major airframe overhaul was necessary.

All he needed to do was send parts that were made to specification, but he insisted, instead, on being an a&&ho1e. I never heard a word from anyone in the aviation community that they hated me, but I did actually hear from the local FAA guy that other complaints started rolling in once the stuff hit that company's fan, and people realized that the FAA was doing something about them.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I wish Gunbroker had a way to block sellers from showing up otherwise this guy would be the first one I add to it so I don't get suckered into his BS.

Plus the fact he supports universal background checks is another reason to avoid him even though looking at what he is selling he has nothing I like anyway.

MosinSKS

Jan 19, 2015
    Capital Region
    Looking for help identifying an SKS. It is import stamped from China, but it is not clear if it is Chinese. There are no Chinese markings or "26" stamped. The unique thing about the rifle is the serial number. It has a total of 4 digits, 2 letters followed by 2 numbers where the second letter is Cyrillic, which makes me doubt Chinese origin and think it is Russian. However, I have never come across a four digit serial number before.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Looking for help identifying an SKS. It is import stamped from China, but it is not clear if it is Chinese. There are no Chinese markings or "26" stamped. The unique thing about the rifle is the serial number. It has a total of 4 digits, 2 letters followed by 2 numbers where the second letter is Cyrillic, which makes me doubt Chinese origin and think it is Russian. However, I have never come across a four digit serial number before.

Start a new thread and Post pics of the rifle and serial number area.

BinaryBoris

On YouTube: "NotAGunGuy"
    Jan 6, 2015
    Against my better judgment, but there were no other bids, guy has good feedback and I wanted to add another SKS to my collection. WTH do I have here? Photographs strategically hide any identifying markings (to my eye at least).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=456229143

Holy crap … I nearly placed a bid on that myself! Probably would have if not for the fact that I've had a bad case of the Swiss Flu the last couple weeks …

Congrats looks like a fine rifle. Can't wait to see some more pics.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012

Start a new thread and Post pics of the rifle and serial number area.

^^^ This. We really need to see ALL of the markings on it to be able to give you any good info.

I will say, though, that importers tend to know exactly where their stock came from. Since we haven't been able to get direct imports from China since about 1993, and since most of the "China imports" brought into the U.S. in the late '80s and early '90s came in through Chinese-owned importers and were sold by Chinese owned (or partnered) retailers, it's fairly unlikely that it's not a Chinese rifle.

That said, many of the earliest SKS rifles made in China incorporated left-over Russian parts, so it can be Chinese-made, but essentially a Russian gun.

Even the import mark can help with this one.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    So I accepted everyone's advice and shipped the rifle back to "Duke" last week. Predictably, he has not responded to my follow-up emails and has not sent a refund.

I have now filed a formal FBI IC3 complaint, a mail fraud complaint with the USPIS, and the PA AG's office. I've also asked GB to suspend his account.

I don't expect any of the above to actually do anything. Looks like small-claims is my only recourse. Thank you to those who have provided guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    So I accepted everyone's advice and shipped the rifle back to "Duke" last week. Predictably, he has not responded to my follow-up emails and has not sent a refund.

I have now filed a formal FBI IC3 complaint, a mail fraud complaint with the USPIS, and the PA AG's office. I've also asked GB to suspend his account.

I don't expect any of the above to actually do anything. Looks like small-claims is my only recourse. Thank you to those who have provided guidance.

This sucks on a stick!

Sorry you are having to deal with this sort of crap, but the slimeball deserves whatever may be coming his way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom