• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    Hey y'all!

Thanks to our president's continual agenda to blame crime on inanimate objects and not the lunatics behind them, I decided last week to join the record-growing crowd of people exercising their right to own. And thanks to illogical Maryland gun laws, I'm still waiting to pick up my P320 from the FFL, because as you all know, we stay fuming mad for 6 business days but gosh do we feel cooled off on that 7th business day.

Anyway, I'm doing all my rookie homework and thought y'all would be the perfect sources to answer my rookie-level questions.

1) Who/what is the position/title holder/etc that makes MD's ridiculous gun laws? I know O'Malley still is a proponent of illogical thought and puppeteered this person into making them, but I'm not sure who it was and what his position is, and who recently (a few months ago) took over his job after Hogan was elected.

2) On that note, is there any word or latest news if the new guy is working to change laws such as the cooling off period, CCWs, etc? I heard the guy replacing him is someone who actually used a gun before and people like us are rooting that he'll do good work.

3) I briefly scanned the thread mentioning MD's law on pistol locks. I bought my P320 at Free State (middle river) last week. Does this mean I'll be shelling out $30ish for a lock that they sell me because its required by them to sell me one?

4) In my HQL class, the teacher told us that there are types of bullets that aren't blanks, but they do not fire and are good for getting a feel of how heavy the gun is loaded. In doing research, I've figured they are either snap caps or dummy rounds. What are each, what's the point of each, and are either safe/good for the gun to pull the trigger or would they damage something in the gun by pulling the trigger?

5) Do any of you have a good recommended youtube video demonstrating cleaning a pistol (bonus points if it's a sig sauer 9mm p320)? I saw a few but I'm not sure which ones do a good job.

6) Are there any cool outdoor ranges that stand out as being fun to shoot? I'm in the White Marsh area.

7) I've heard there is such thing as crappy ammo and good ammo. Any recommended 9mm brands to get? Any to avoid?

8) Any recommended cleaning kit?

9) Outside of the gun, I've bought a safe, magazine loader, eye/ear protection, and paper targets. At the moment, since I don't have multiple pistols, the carrying case the gun comes in should suffice for transport, with the ammo separate and both out of reach in the back of the vehicle. Is there anything else (outside of cleaning kits) that you'd recommend?

That's plenty for now. A big thank you in advance if you can answer any of these!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    1) Maryland General assembly, they are done for this year, and stay tuned here and you will know what's going on when next year's session gets close.

2) maybe/maybe not.

3) yes, amount depends on the shop.

4) snap caps, allows you to practice trigger pull without damaging your firing pin.

5) just do a search on you tube for your make and model I have found most of anything in my safe is covered. Also if your gun is new or still has the owners manual with it it will have instructions for disassembly.

6) depends if you want to shoot inside or outside, just do a search here most all ranges in the area will be covered in great detail.

7) everyone has differing opinions on ammo, also some guns like certain ammo over others with some guns being very picky.

8) Otis makes a nice kit, but I have several different kits from several manufacturers for some odd reason.

9) A safe or other method to secure your new pistol from theft or kids or whatever your needs are, do a search here and you will finds lots of info.

Happy shooting and welcome aboard.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You will receive the collection of helpful links momentarily.

And to add some trivial details - Dummy Rounds are the same exact shape of a loded round , and frequently of similar weight. They are used to test feeding and functoning of a gun. Snap Caps are specifically designed to cushion the firing pin movement to allow dry fire / testing of fire control systems. It is possable to combine both functions into a single product , but many products are one or the other.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Welcome. There's an "Introduction" section you may want to try.

Brychan did a fine job of answering your questions. I'll add that joining MSI will go a long way to stopping the anti-gun madness. See my signature.

1- Maryland Legislature, who by the way, know little to nothing about the firearms they write laws for.

2- Not that I've heard. Not being on the board I don't know, but I'd guess MSI has ways to bend his ear.

3- There used to be lock exchange that anyone could edit in their own information and I think it "exploded"...prolly some self-righteous anti-gun douche. Here is the newest one: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=157391

4- Snap caps. I wouldn't say they mimic the weight. The good ones, (not plastic) are not cheap, so I wouldn't feel the need to fill up a 17-19 round mag.

5- Instructions come with the gun.

6- outdoor ranges that I know are Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Elk Neck Shooting Range and I think there's one in PG county.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Hey y'all!

3) I briefly scanned the thread mentioning MD's law on pistol locks. I bought my P320 at Free State (middle river) last week. Does this mean I'll be shelling out $30ish for a lock that they sell me because its required by them to sell me one?

Welcome to the forum. As far as a pistol lock you don't have to buy a lock from Free state. You can bring your own lock in when you pick up the gun. You just have to have one in your possession when you pick up the gun. You can buy a used one fairly cheap, Google it or search this forum you will find one cheap.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Welcome. As you've already seen, folks here can be very helpful, but be prepared for the "search is your friend" crowd who chime in to up their post count because you asked a question on a bulletin board where presumably questions and meaningful answers are shared. Weed through the nay-sayers and you will find this forum to be very useful.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You said "Y'all" 2 too many times for me, and for that reason.......

Attachments

• out.jpg
      out.jpg
      7.2 KB · Views: 411

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    As a newbie, learn everything you can about all the aspects of shooting safely. For self defense. Take a class. Really. As for handling your new gun. Practice, practice, practice. And actually using your gun to defend yourself? Have a good lawyer on tap before you need to use your gun and forget everything you've ever seen in ANY movie or TV show about shooting someone. And also... Welcome. This is one of the finest shooting and gunboards in the nation. We HAVE to be... we live in Maryland.

Last edited:

goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    1) Maryland General assembly, they are done for this year, and stay tuned here and you will know what's going on when next year's session gets close.

2) maybe/maybe not.

3) yes, amount depends on the shop.

4) snap caps, allows you to practice trigger pull without damaging your firing pin.

5) just do a search on you tube for your make and model I have found most of anything in my safe is covered. Also if your gun is new or still has the owners manual with it it will have instructions for disassembly.

6) depends if you want to shoot inside or outside, just do a search here most all ranges in the area will be covered in great detail.

7) everyone has differing opinions on ammo, also some guns like certain ammo over others with some guns being very picky.

8) Otis makes a nice kit, but I have several different kits from several manufacturers for some odd reason.

9) A safe or other method to secure your new pistol from theft or kids or whatever your needs are, do a search here and you will finds lots of info.

Happy shooting and welcome aboard.

Wow, thank you Brychan for the fast reply and the great intel!

Biggfoot -- thanks! Any links help! And it sounds like I should at least get snap caps.
    Bikebreath -- thanks! I'll have to visit that intro page and post. The gun clubs you mentioned -- are they typically expensive?
    Klunatic -- thanks! I'll definitely look around now.
    Wendigo -- I'm actually heading out of town tomorrow afternoon, so I'll just miss you. Given that it should be ready when I get back, I might just try to find a cheap one in South Carolina (where my parents live, hence the "y'alls"). Thank you for the offer though!
    sbmike -- Thanks for the heads-up. Usually I wait for a consensus before jumping to any conclusions since you have the naysayers. In that regard, I've completely disregarded Yelp since it's typically a troll haven.
    Blaster229 -- I wanted Lori as my shark anyway, you know, to mix business and s--wait i can't say that at work.
    erube -- touche. I'm losing my touch.
    Blaster229 (2) -- that will never leave my mouth. Nor will "you'se" (sp). In fact I just lost respect for myself just typing it. (kidding)
    Brychan -- noted. I might be getting some at me at this moment.
    mdram -- thanks! I've heard hoppes is a great brand and they seem to be one of the first that pop up on amazon searches.
    Rick3bears -- thanks for the tip. Free state offers a back-to-back class on shooting under pressure and home safety, which goes over all of the maryland laws for home protection. One thing an officer said when I was getting fingerprinted for my HQL was that while you may have to go through all of the crazy procedures, if it's a trial by jury, most juries sympathize with the home owner and not the intruder/burglar. I certainly don't want to test that theory.
    Klunatic -- thanks for the link.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Bikebreath -- thanks! I'll have to visit that intro page and post. The gun clubs you mentioned -- are they typically expensive?

Expensive is relative. The AGC of Balto I mentioned is $150 per year, (rumored to go to $200), plus your individual club dues. Clubs range from $7 to $95 p/yr, (roughly). Going to the indoor ranges at $16 p/hr every week is $64 a month, or $768 per year. I don't know about you, but when I'm paying by the hour I feel rushed. Join the AGC, pack a sandwich and spend the day there.

Elk Neck is with the cost of entering the park. I have no idea, but I'm guessing it's a couple a bucks.

PG county, I have no idea.

I spent 15 minutes on this post and you owe me $2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom