• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    When reloading for 223 Rem and 308 Win and using H335 or BL-C2 do you guys use magnum primers or std. primers? You can find some manuals that recommend magnum primers for these powders in these rounds. I talked to a tech at Sierra a couple of years ago specifically asking this primer question with respect to a 308 load consisting of 43.0 grs BL-C2, 168 gr Hornady BTHP, LC-85 case; I have been using CCI-200 primers and getting great accuracy out of my bolt gun and good accuracy out of a gas gun. The sierra tech told me they (Sierra) didn't think a magnum primer was necessary in trying to ignite that volume of powder in a 308 case.
    Recently I tried that same load with CCI-250 primers. The velocity of the loads were only slightly higher over my chronograph and there were no adverse pressure signs. What I did notice was the accuracy out of my gas gun was a little better. I'm thinking this maybe was due to a little more uniform ignition with the magnum primer.
    Also there is the thought that magnum primers with ball powders give better performance in cold temperatures.
    What do MD Shooters with experience on this issue use?
    Thanks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use either CCI #450 (SR Magnum) or CCI #41 (mil) primers in my 5.56/.223 loads. The cups are thicker to reduce the risk of a slam fire.

I had shot a lot of 7.72/.308 using WW748 ball power, but mainly used WW primers, which are for standard or magnum loading (as per the box).

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I use magnums in my .223 loads for the AR.

the hornady published loads for h335 (55gr .223) are below other sources start loads. i've read many accounts of hangfires and non ignition when people use standard primers at that low of a charge. mainly with wolf, but i've seen cci included.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have been using Wolf SRM ( Russian) primers for my .223 for several years. The only difference between the SRM and a standard Wolf primer is that the cup is thicker. I used to use CCI BR primers until they went batshit crazy on their prices. I avoid Winchester primers because I have had issues with them piercing. After I had to replace 2 firing pins and a bolt on one of my AR's, I'll never use Winchester primers again. I like Fed 210M primers for my .308's. Never had an issue with them. I do have some Russian primers that I will eventually get around to trying in my .308's though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Granted, I only ever used H335 for my .223/5.56 loads - but I went thru CCI 400's, CCI 41's and Wolf SRP's, never had any issue with hangfires or slamfires. The wolf's were actually some of the best performers in my rifles with those recipes.

To be honest, I did have 1 slamfire with CCI 400's, but I take the full brunt of the blame because that was a slightly high primer that I didn't catch early into my misadventures of reloading.

With the .50Beo and H110, I occasionally would have a slight delay with CCI 300's (technically a hangfire, but not a drastic delay), became a non issue when I switched to Win LPP's.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I know that primer cup hardness is a big issue with military pattern semi autos but the real thrust of my question was the effect of magnum priming mixture vs. std. priming mixture on a given load of ball powder. I've always been under the impression that magnum primers produce a hotter flame than std. primers and may be more suited to ignite the harder to ignite ball powders.
    I've used CCI std. primers for years in my AR-15 and AR-10 with no issues; I am anal about properly seating primers for gas guns. Maybe I've just been lucky.
    In my experience Winchester LR primers (at least the gold colored ones as opposed to the older silver ones) flatten way more than the CCI-200 in a comparable safe load.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I guess if you're trying to reliably/consistently light a larger column of ball powder in say a .308 or larger case, the magnum primer would be the way to go.

Using H110 as an example (since I used a lot of it), in 300BLK I never worried about magnum primers due to the powder load being less than 20 grains or so, but with the .50Beo that charge was 38+ grains, and non magnum CCI 300's would have the slight hesitation before complete ignition of the charge.

When in doubt refer to the load data from a few sources, they'll specify if that particular load should be used with magnum primers. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In my experience Winchester LR primers (at least the gold colored ones as opposed to the older silver ones) flatten way more than the CCI-200 in a comparable safe load.

I mention using WW primers in 7.62 loads, they were ALL the older silver ones.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've used std. small rifle primers including WSRs and CCI #400s with no I'll effects. Haven't seen the need for mag primers in my .223 or 5.56 loads. I don't load .308.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've reloaded 30-30 using Winchester 748, a ball powder, using both magnum and standard primers. Accuracy was the same with both and the standard primers shot consistently faster than the magnum primers. Some other shooters noticed the same thing. Neither load was cleaner nor dirtier than the other.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Most of the folks I shoot fclass with shoot standard primers, not magnums. I shoot the CCI BR2's and BR4s...never had a slam fire through 4k or so

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I've only used standard primers in a Rem 700 .223 and H335 for almost 20 years. The only misfires I have had were on a batch of primers that were previously loaded in cases I decided to discard and reuse the primers. They were handled more than with my normal practice. Recycled primers may not be the best practice, but I read in this forum that it could be done. My first attempt prior to that resulted in primer detonation, so be warned.

With the recurrent primer shortages, I have used Fed BR, Fed, Win and Rem. Through the years the powder batches, the brass and even the barrels have changed. If one of those brands of produced substantially better or worse accuracy, I never noticed.

My rig is an accurate rig to start with, so those changes may be lost in the fact that I worked a 24 hour shift the day prior to my range day, the actual sleep and cups of coffee preceding the range day and the wind and my ability to read it. A 0.5" group with brand X primers in 2002 and a 0.3" group with brand Y primers in 2010 really aren't comparable.

If you can shoot a head to head comparison, on the same day and not letting the barrel get hot or too fouled and find a useful difference, go with it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "A 0.5" group with brand X primers in 2002 and a 0.3" group with brand Y primers in 2010 really aren't comparable."

While not a valid comparison of the primer, I'd assess it as a very good load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom