• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Recommend a competitive shoot format for me

I want to get into competitive shooting and am interested in getting into competitive handgun shooting more specifically. I don't necessarily fancy speed matches such as run and gun or 3 gun drills.

I was looking for more like marksmanship pistol competition and how one would go about getting into that sort of thing. I am fairly new to handguns as I have only been shooting handguns for the last 5 years. I would expect to place in some sort of novice class but want to be able to research the competitions and formats before hand so I know what to expect and how to proceed. More over the ins and outs and what equipment is consider essential for this type of competition.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I do believe there are .22 caliber Bullseye pistol matches at the AGC pistol range every Tuesday evening during the summer. I think they're open to non-members. Why not stop by?

There's also Steel shooting at Monocacy Pistol Club, just east of Frederick.

Yup, here it is:

http://associatedgunclubs.org/pages/agc_calendar/view.php?calendar_id=22500&

Every Tuesday, 6:00 to 8:00

Open to the public. Just stop by. It's only a ten minute drive.

Also all sorts of pistol matches at Monocacy, also open to the public.

http://www.monocacypistolclub.org/match-range-information/

Photoracer is a member there, and often posts information about their matches.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yup, I was going to mention Delta also. Bit more of a drive though. I've been to one of the Steel matches there, and would like to go again, but the dates conflict with my Garand matches and York Fun Shoots.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    looks like the link to monocasy says it only open to people that are invited by current members ? unless i read it wrong might want to double check .

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I do believe there are .22 caliber Bullseye pistol matches at the AGC pistol range every Tuesday evening during the summer. I think they're open to non-members. Why not stop by?

Yup, here it is:

If you go, ask for Eddie Grove. her runs the bulls-eye match. This is a great way to get involved in competitive shooting.

The sessions start at 6PM and I think the cost is $5.00.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There used to be a bullseye league (.22) that shot weekly at On Target from about Sept - May or close to that.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD

Yup, here it is:

Hmmm sounds like it may be up my alley. Anyone shoot these matches at AGC? I live minutes away from AGC and would love to go with someone who had gone before just so I don't look like a total dumbass. I have a pistol and some ammo etc. I think I will go this coming Tuesday. I will bring my pistol,ammo eyes and ears. If allowed I will participate. I don't even have my pistol sights dialed in yet but, I am a jump in with both feet kinda person so whatever. If I come in dead last so be it. I just want to go to get a small idea of what its about.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    If you go, ask for Eddie Grove. her runs the bulls-eye match. This is a great way to get involved in competitive shooting.

The sessions start at 6PM and I think the cost is $5.00.

Awesome thanks for the info. I will try to make it there. Anyone know what they are shooting? Open sights or optics, semi singles or revolvers or is it open ?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think it's classic open-sight Bullseye, .22 rimfire, pistols, maybe some revolvers... There was a thread about it a couple years ago...

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I think it's classic open-sight Bullseye, .22 rimfire, pistols, maybe some revolvers... There was a thread about it a couple years ago...

Thanks for all the helpful info threeband you have been awesome. I appreciate your attention.

So how bout it? anyone want to join me on Tuesday ?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Monocacy did change the rules a bit because so many NON members were showing up to shoot that members, member's familys' and invited guests were being crowded out by random people who would just show up.

Monocacy also has the NRA Winchester Marksmanship program. .22 at 50 feet. Most people do rifle from the position of their choosing (prone, bench, off hand...) but you can also do pistol. I am trying to finish up my rifle badges for off hand shooting and then move to pistol.

Monocacy has critters matches also. Fun with little steel targets at various sizes and distances. Match is shot will at .22 rifle or handgun.

Chris

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    Izaak Walton League - Rockville (in Gaithersburg) shoots outdoor 25 yd. bullseye on Tuesday nights but it is members only (or invited guests). It runs from April through September. Pistols are .22LR and .32 or above with iron or optics. They also have Tuesday night indoor air pistol during the winter. Iron only on air pistol. This is my second season there. I started out struggling to make 200. Now I am consistently in the 255-265 range with both rimfire and centerfire. They are a good group of people. The 2013 CMP Civilian Bullseye Champion is a member.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I shoot at the Tuesday night AGC pistol league. Bring 100 rounds, any pistol caliber, some masking tape, a staple gun,empty chamber indicator, binoculars or scope if you have one, and $3. Targets are supplied. Bring more ammo if you want to practice before the league match starts. Come as often or as little as you want. We usually have about 15 - 20 people a week that take part.

We shoot 3 national match courses. 3 slow (10 shots in 10 minutes) 3 timed (two 5 shot strings, 20 seconds per string) and 3 rapid (two 5 shot strings, 10 seconds per string).

Try to get there a little early. Ed Grove and I are usually there around 4 pm practicing and will be happy to help new people get set up. The 1st round down range for the match starts at 6pm. The match is a handicap system favoring new shooters. At the end of the league there are prizes, usually money and bullets, and if you shoot enough a free dinner at G&M restraunt.

Regarding the On Target league, that league moved to the AGC and is what we do on Tuesday nights year round, with the range lit and heated. It cost $5 a night during the Fall and Winter and we only shoot 2 national match courses. In the Spring and Summer we have a cookout after the match except for the 2nd Tuesday of the month which is also the Garrison Club monthly meeting, and in the Fall Winter about half of us usually go to the pizza joint near Rt 70 and Marriottsville road after the match.

I look forward to meeting you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Regarding the On Target league, that league moved to the AGC and is what we do on Tuesday nights year round, with the range lit and heated. It cost $5 a night during the Fall and Winter and we only shoot 2 national match courses. In the Spring and Summer we have a cookout after the match except for the 2nd Tuesday of the month which is also the Garrison Club monthly meeting, and in the Fall Winter about half of us usually go to the pizza joint near Rt 70 and Marriottsville road after the match.

I look forward to meeting you.

Cool, I shot the league when it was at the indoor range in Laurel. Can't remember the name of the range, but close to the train station.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I never shot the league in Laurel. I caught the last 3 years at On Target and advocated for the AGC league to be started. There are at least several shooters in our league that go back to the league before Laurel...I think it was Pikesville Amory.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Monocacy steel is good option. So is peacemaker steel challenge. Both aren't. Super precision but you stand stationary and hit steel. No run n gun.

If u want more precision find NRA action / bianchi cup. Peacemaker just dropped it from lack of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom