• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    August 10-11 matches at Monocacy Pistol Club

Saturday is the monthly Speed Steel event at Monocacy. 5 stages of static steel 5 plates per stage shot 4 times. We used to shoot counting 4 out of 5 runs but for 2013 we eliminated the throwaway to save some ammo for everybody. So minimum round count is 100. Both centerfire and rimfire can be shot, including rimfire carbines. Only limitation is max velocity 1350 FPS, which is the approved limit for 500 class steel targets. $5 for guests. Drawing is allowed for centerfire for those who want to practice for USPSA or IDPA. If you have not drawn in one of our matches show up early so you can be checked out for safety. Stock and Unlimited classes for semis, revolvers, rimfires and rimfire carbines.
    Sunday is Rimfire Falling Steel. 9 4" floppers steel targets, max 10 rounds in the firearm with no reloads. 22LR only both handguns and rifles. No hyper velocity ammo in the rifles. As many runs as we can get in in 3 hours depending on the number of shooters. Usually minimum is 7 runs (about 30 shooters) and max is 10 (15-20 shooters). $5 for guests.
    I will be shooting this weekend myself.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Matches start at 10 AM, but it is wise to get there by 9:45.
    Distance to the 4" targets on Sunday is about 13-15 yards. Almost exactly the distance used on Saturday due to the depth of the shooting bays.
    Also on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM we are having one of our bi-monthly Winchester NRA Marksmanship matches, including 4 position and benchrest, 22LR (maybe air rifle also, not sure). 50' with appropriately sized NRA targets (very small).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Saturday is the monthly Speed Steel event at Monocacy. 5 stages of static steel 5 plates per stage shot 4 times. So minimum round count is 100. Both centerfire and rimfire can be shot, including rimfire carbines. Only limitation is max velocity 1350 FPS, which is the approved limit for 500 class steel targets. $5 for guests. Drawing is allowed for centerfire for those who want to practice for USPSA or IDPA. If you have not drawn in one of our matches show up early so you can be checked out for safety. Stock and Unlimited classes for semis, revolvers, rimfires and rimfire carbines.
    Sunday is Rimfire Falling Steel. 9 4" floppers steel targets, max 10 rounds in the firearm with no reloads. 22LR only both handguns and rifles. No hyper velocity ammo in the rifles. As many runs as we can get in in 3 hours depending on the number of shooters. Usually minimum is 7 runs (about 25-30 shooters) and max is 10 (15-20 shooters). $5 for guests.
    And remember for those outside our area there is a gun show at the Frederick Fairgrounds this weekend also. We get done between about 12:30-1:00 so plenty of time to hit the show after the match.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Matches start at 10 AM, but it is wise to get there by 9:45.
    Distance to the 4" targets on Sunday is about 13-15 yards. Almost exactly the distance used on Saturday due to the depth of the shooting bays.
    Also on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM we are having one of our bi-monthly Winchester NRA Marksmanship matches, including 4 position and benchrest, 22LR (maybe air rifle also, not sure). 50' with appropriately sized NRA targets (very small).

Air guns, I have one of those. What is the course of fire for the air guns? Bench Rest or 4 position?

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Ari and I finally got out to try a few rounds of the Rimfire Falling Steel and had a great time. Kudos to the Monocacy Pistol Club for a well-run and fun match in a friendly atmosphere and with top-grade RSO's.

Now we just have to practice, practice, practice. Dang, those were some small targets! :o

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I always hate it when we get lots of shooters because then Phil sticks the rimfire dueling tree in the other bay. They are much smaller than the 4" of the rest of the targets. To shoot it your optics/sights have to be spot on and mine were not as evidenced by how many misses I had. I was lucky to get 3 good runs, 2 of which were clean with my open pistol to win that category. Congrats to my bud Mike Shoemaker for a record 3.88s run with the M&P15-22 on the dueling tree side no less to win the open rifle category. 9 clean shots on the timer with an average of .4s splits. Nobody has ever gone below 4 seconds on a run in this match even in the days when we only had 8 targets to shoot. (but rifles were not allowed then). Phil said this was the most entries and money taken in ever at this event, a total of 35 entries, some of which were shooting 2 firearms in different categories. While some of the entries were members of our club trying to get their required match in for the year we had a good number of non-members there to try it out. Thanks to all that came even though the event went over the normal time limit.
    This Saturday is our last bowling pin match of the year. Sunday, if my right knee improves I will be at Peacemaker shooting the 3-gun event.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Saturday 1/11 is the monthly Speed Steel event at Monocacy. 5 stages of static steel 5 plates per stage shot 4 times. So minimum round count is 100. Both centerfire and rimfire can be shot, including rimfire carbines. Only limitation is max velocity 1350 FPS, which is the approved limit for 500 class steel targets. $5 for guests. Drawing is allowed for centerfire for those who want to practice for USPSA or IDPA although drawing in the cold weather can be trying. If you have not drawn in one of our matches show up early so you can be checked out for safety. Stock and Unlimited classes for semis, revolvers, rimfires and rimfire carbines.
    Sunday 1/12 is Rimfire Falling Steel. 9 4" floppers steel targets, max 10 rounds in the firearm with no reloads. 22LR only both handguns and rifles. No hyper velocity ammo in the rifles. As many runs as we can get in in 3 hours depending on the number of shooters. Usually minimum is 7 runs (about 25-30 shooters) and max is 10 (15-20 shooters). $5 for guests. if we get a lot of entries we will be using the dueling tree again.
    For those shooting rimfire in the cold the secret to reliable functioning is keeping your rounds warm, especially CCI, so the lube stay fluid. Best way I have found is dump all your rounds in a Tupperware type container and add 2 activated WM single use handwarmers. Also drive to the match with the container in the passenger footwell with the heater on.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    man I wanted to shoot the steel matches there this past weekend but it was just too darned cold/sleety/etc and I was sick! maybe I will make it out for this one, dying for a fun match.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    man I wanted to shoot the steel matches there this past weekend but it was just too darned cold/sleety/etc and I was sick! maybe I will make it out for this one, dying for a fun match.

I think those matches were canceleed due to weather so you didnt miss anything.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yes. All MPC matches start at 10 AM except a few that are afternoon like the Winchester NRA Marksmanship Program, and I think the twice a year Great Wars pistol match starts at 11 AM. The Great Wars match is kind of interesting. Originally it was any period correct pistol used by a military from 1914-1945. Must have fixed sights also, no target sights. But currently clones and existing models of the same pistols with fixed sights are also allowed. We have even had a couple shoot it with black powder although it kind of slows down the action since it is shot as a bullseye match and it take awhile to finish the relay and allow everyone to check their targets. I used to shoot a Browning Hi-Power in it (Germans and Belgians used it in WWII). Most shoot basic .45s like the SASS Wild Bunch rules but some have collections of P-38s, 7.65 Mausers, P-08 Lugers, and other firearms.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well it looks like the weather this weekend is going to be decent for a change.
    Sat. 10 AM Falling Steel: Centerfire only match. 11 targets 1 mandatory mag change.
    Sun. 10 AM 3-Stage Falling Steel: Centerfire only. 11-15 targets 2 mandatory mag changes.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Not sure if I can do both matches.
    I really like 3 stage falling steel. I have shot it twice and really enjoyed it. I had resisted for years and finally gave in. Like it so much I joined the club.

Hope to see people there.
    I will be the well fed one shooting a Sig 226.

Chris

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I won't be there because I am traveling up to Lewistown to shoot their monthly Ruger Rimfire event.

Since you have a P226 do you know anybody with a P229 in .40/357Sig that would like to buy some magazines? I have 2 genuine Sig 12s and one non-factory 12 also.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    This (2/9) Sunday's Rimfire Steel event has been officially canceled by the Match Director. Sissy I guess as we had around 20 guns today at the Speed Steel event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom