• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've been thinking of getting one of those myself. Just would like something with less recoil than my 30-06 Garand.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I've been thinking of getting one of those myself. Just would like something with less recoil than my 30-06 Garand.

Hxp m2 ball ammo performs almost exactly the same as modern 308 ammo....150gr fmj fired at roughly 2800fps. Your shoulder will never tell the diffrence. It would be nice to have one to shoot off the shelf ammo with though. Would make a hell of a deer rifle .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would recommend a Service Grade, .30-06.

Put a note on your order asking for a good shooter with USGI wood.

Order by January 5 to beat the price increase.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Why is there a .308 garand? Was it a reburb to take a NATO cartridge or was it built as a .308?

I think I've heard these called Navy garands.

Thanks for any info

theneckie

Jun 7, 2013
    Queen Anne
    I have always wanted a garand, and I feel .308 ammo is more readily available. it will mostly be a target gun, also With having 3 kids that are getting older They are costing more, So my gun purchasing is slowing down greatly, so why not knock down two birds with one stone.

Feb 28, 2013
    Why is there a .308 garand? Was it a reburb to take a NATO cartridge or was it built as a .308?

I think I've heard these called Navy garands.

Thanks for any info

They were never built that way originally. Mine was simply rebarreled.

Feb 28, 2013
    I have always wanted a garand, and I feel .308 ammo is more readily available. it will mostly be a target gun, also With having 3 kids that are getting older They are costing more, So my gun purchasing is slowing down greatly, so why not knock down two birds with one stone.

If that's the case then you're better off getting one in .30-06, especially if that's the only such gun you'll have.

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bought a .308 Garand years ago. Already had an M1A, reason I got one in .308, same ammo.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    back in the day when you could get 308 for $99/1000 lot's of people rebarreled.

Not much of a reason to now days....3006 and 308 are about the same.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    back in the day when you could get 308 for $99/1000 lot's of people rebarreled.

Not much of a reason to now days....3006 and 308 are about the same.

When .308 ammo was cheap several years ago, I bought a rack-grade Garand with the long-term goal of rebarreling, re-parkerizing and putting it into a nice CMP stock. After the ammo situation changed, it's still sitting in the safe awaiting restoration. We'll see what happens in the next few years. Right now, I have plenty of 30-06 to feed it and and my other restored Garand. I'll probably order another couple of ammo cans before the price goes up on the 5th.

JoeR

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I have an M1 with a .308 barrel and must say it shoots very nicely. Having never tried one in '06 I can't compare the felt recoil.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There's plenty of .30-06 Garand safe ammo available.

The CMP has NATO surplus HXP: buy it cheap and stack it deep. The price goes up on January 5.

30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 RDS LOOSE IN .30 CAL CAN

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...max=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=#

viewImage.aspx

30.06 HXP 240 rds per can
    M2 Ball, .30-06, Greek Ammuntion.

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...max=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=#

viewImage.aspx

Prvi is loading good M2 Ball (Garand Ammo) at a decent price.

https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8822&dir=18|830|850

PP150C.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have a CMP Special in .308 as well as a Special in .30-06 and several other Garands. Very nice guns. Shoot well and the perceived kick seems less.

The Navy originally started experimenting with .308 modifications to the retired but still in Govt. Stock garands. The tried both chamber inserts and rebarreling, I assume it was a ammo compatibility as well as cost driven program. The CMP was selling some Navy .308 rifles as well as some barreled actions. however I believe the CMP Specials are all rebuilt by the CMP shop. They come with a new stock new barrel and refinished metal and a plastic insert to prevent accidental loading of a .30-06 clip.

Someday the cheap surplus .30-06 will run out maybe surplus .308 will become widely available. Other than that is is another interesting variant.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You can get new 7.62 NATO ammo cheaper than surplus .30/06, so there is a slight cost advantage there. The ZQI stuff by MKE of Turkey is at Walmart for $9.97 per box. After sales tax, that's still cheaper than the CMP's .30/06.

I'd still go with .30/06 though, in a Service Grade. The cost savings is not that great in .308/7.62 and the .308 is not match legal. Even if you're not thinking about doing match now, you should keep it open as an option. There are plenty of casual, fun match opportunities. Also, you can get a lightly used rifle with character in an original condition instead of a boring, new looking commercial refurb.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Is $695 the current price for a Service grade or is that the new price? This summer they were $625 so I don't know if they had a price increase since then and will implement another one on Jan 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom