• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Wow, that is real close. I wonder if the community will complain. Hopefully they can keep the thugs and wannabe thugs out.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Wonder where they are setting up shop?

Its crowning jewel will be a 100-yard range, the only of its kind in the tri-state area

huh?? AGC? NRA Range? All of the IWLA? There are numerous 100+ yard ranges around. I guess they will have an indoor range?

A SDAT search of the address they give returns zero hits.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    There has to be a 100 yard indoor range in PA or VA. Isn't Freedom Armory a 100 yard indoor range, right over the line in PA?

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    It’s just good to see that research seems to be be revealing enough MD demand to support investments in new ranges.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I wonder how this will affect smaller private clubs like the one I belong to (Bowie Rod and Gun Club).

I found it a little sad to watch the big Montgomery county pools run the little neighborhood pools out of business.

This is private industry though and I am a free market kind of guy.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Probably not a better location for such a thing. If I really wanna lose some cash, maybe I'll give it a try.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I wonder how this will affect smaller private clubs like the one I belong to (Bowie Rod and Gun Club).

I found it a little sad to watch the big Montgomery county pools run the little neighborhood pools out of business.

This is private industry though and I am a free market kind of guy.

I think they will occupy different niches. Maybe this new range will cater towards those who do not want to be outdoors?

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I think they will occupy different niches. Maybe this new range will cater towards those who do not want to be outdoors?

I am not so sure about that but time will tell. On the few occasions I've been to my range on days with temps below 32 it was a pretty lonely place. Good if you want to get in some serious chat free shooting though. I think most people are inclined to choose comfort over "roughing it".

There have been informal talks about opening up longer ranges like a 200 yard station. That would give us something the indoor guntryclub would not easily match. I think that is off in the future quite a ways though.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    At least for me, the private club with an outdoor range I'm a part of offers something that the indoor ranges do not. Indoor ranges are loud, and sometimes the ventilation is less than perfect. I like how it does not get very crowded, unlike a public range. It being a private club also keeps down the idiocy that I've seen at public ranges. I'm a range officer, so I don't pay a range fee each time I use the range, and I can open the range when it's not otherwise open. That allows me to to go multiple times a week without range fees being an expense. I also just happen to enjoy being outdoors under the sun and don't mind the cold or rain.

I do understand why some people prefer indoor ranges though. A lot of people have no experience with firearms and no experience being outdoors. It could be overwhelming for them to be thrown into both at the same time. If it's not too crowded and loud, an indoor range can be a more comfortable environment to introduce a new shooter.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am not so sure about that but time will tell. On the few occasions I've been to my range on days with temps below 32 it was a pretty lonely place. Good if you want to get in some serious chat free shooting though. I think most people are inclined to choose comfort over "roughing it".
    Especially when BRGC is charging $400 a year for the privilege, and is overcrowded anyways. That's about what you'd pay at SEG, and SEG has a lot of benefits that come with that membership.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    It's an evolution. An article covering this topic was front page on WaPo the other day. We started shooting in fields. Then we evolved to clubs. Then we took it indoors. Now that we're indoors, lets make it less drab and cool for date night or hanging out with the boys. I'm actually surprised it took this long. But other outdoor sports came indoors too with great success (skateboarding, skiing, mountain biking, etc). The entry fee may be high for some but that's true everywhere. Not everyone believes in the price-club model. And not everyone is going to join an upscale gun range. I think there is enough disposable incomes in this area to drive customers to this facility. And that was echoed by Andy from Engage with his commentary in Bethesda magazine.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I think they'll have their niche and I'll probably go at least once, if for no other reason, just to see what a "Guntry Club" looks like. However, indoor ranges, in my experience miss something that makes a club special, and that's the camaraderie of coming to know other members. I've developed a whole 'nother network of friends since joining AAF&G about 10 years ago.

JoeR

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just got an email from them looking for investors. They are looking to raise between 6.8 and 8 million. David Ridgway and Michael DeMos are the managing members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Especially when BRGC is charging $400 a year for the privilege, and is overcrowded anyways. That's about what you'd pay at SEG, and SEG has a lot of benefits that come with that membership.

Yea... there was discussion at meetings about the increase in membership. I've not personally found it to be a problem. Maybe I am lucky in the times I pick to go to the range. I will bet you right now it is relatively empty - I think is some who might be there are out hunting instead - I have been. ;-

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    When you think Affluent, you think Beltsville...

:lol:

Try putting one in Potomac or Clarksville and people would lose their minds. Only way you're getting something like that in an affluent neighborhood is if it's mostly conservative.
    I'd love something like that just outside of Clarksville but the whiners in Howard County would never allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom