• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Interestingly enough, I was cleaning my piles of junk around the house today and happened to uncover the receipt for this rife. It was from J&G, not SOG.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Could be!!!

My weight-lifting macho son (who is 25 years old and is in really-really good shape) he shot it a few times, worked his right shoulder a few times and handed the Steyr back to me and said: "I'm good Dad, it's all yours". :lol:

I took a few friends from work shooting, same scenario big dude looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger stunt double took one shot and I think I saw a tear in his left eye:lol2::lol2::lol2:

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Ok, I'm gonna sound like a wuss but DAYUM you guys were right on the recoil from these things.

I finally shot my M95/34 last week, put 15 rounds of PPU through it, my dad shot the other 5 out of the box. I stuck a slip-on rubber buttpad on the thing and it still beat my ass. I put 40 rounds of surplus through my T53 after that, and was pretty sore for a couple days. I'm not a scrawny guy, either!

I shot it at 50 yards, and it grouped pretty well. I tried it with the leaf sight flipped up, using the bottom notch, but it actually shot low. Flipped it back down and it was just a couple inches high at 50 yards.

Fun rifle! The bolt got easier to work as I shot it, even though it was 100% clean when we started. (I broke it all the way down to clean it when I got it) I guess that's just from it warming up?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Beautiful! Don't know why there are a significant number of these M95/34s with pretty tiger stripes out there. I managed to scoop up a couple, being a sucker for pretty furniture on a milsurp.
    If you want to shoot a M95 and avoid a sore shoulder then keep an eye out for a M95 rifle. They're still selling in the $300-350 range and much more fun for the recoil shy among us (that would include me).

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I've never shot a Steyr M95, but they sure are loud. A coupla months ago, I was at the local range with Springy ('03-A3) and I kept hearing this loud (relative to Springy!) boom that shook me up the first coupla times. It turned out to be a guy on the other side of the range with a Steyr.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I would tell you to grab one but nobody has had any of the 95/34's for several months now. They used to be $105.00 at SOG, and I also got one for one of their 12 days of Christmas sales for even cheaper. They are really nice, especially for that price.

Its crazy how light they are. I had my T53 out on the same day and it was much heavier.

My next project is to get some Hornady or PPU bullets from Grafs (the ONLY place I can find that sells them) and reload for it. I may even try some cast loads down the road with 2400.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Bringing this thread back up because I have 2 of the M95 Carbines on order from SOG.
    Note that they do mention repairable cracks in the stock.
    I also have 2 boxes of PPU 8x56r and some reloading dies too on order. I like being able to reload for all my milsurps.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Glad you ordered a couple!
    I use the Hornady bullets from Graf and Sons. They also carry a PPU bullet for the 8x56r. I have had great luck with IMR 4064 powder.

And if you cast, the Lee .329 mold works great for mine, and I powder coat the bullets to give a bit tighter fit in the bore, usually these rifles run a bit large on diameter. I think mine slugged at .332 but don't quote me on that.

I got clips from Numrich and I sometimes check eBay, where I've gotten them as low as 3 bucks on an auction the guy wasn't very good at naming to get attention.

Look up the dime trick for removing the bolt from the rifle, it will help a good bit.

Hope you enjoy!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Bringing this thread back up because I have 2 of the M95 Carbines on order from SOG.
    Note that they do mention repairable cracks in the stock.
    I also have 2 boxes of PPU 8x56r and some reloading dies too on order. I like being able to reload for all my milsurps.

Please post pictures when you receive them. I'm on the fence about ordering one since I already have a couple but if the cracks aren't too bad I may take the plunge

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, playing the order qty game, I see they show only 14 left. I almost always choose Hand Select so Hope there was something good in the remaining pile of M95 rifles.
    They updated my shipping and it was $22.70 for shipping the 2 rifles.

Yup, I looked at some diss-assembly vids and saw the dime trick. I ordered the Hornady Pills for reloading it. All I have is Varget and 4895 so found some formulas for that. I'll chrono the first shots too. You know, if I could keep the recoil modest, this light rifle might make a good offhand shooter. Well, it would not beat the SKS in that dept I bet.

But its an interesting rifle from a collector standpoint and has some unique history to it as a I read more about it. If I'm reading things correctly, these are really M95/30 or M95/31 rifles that went through a conversion as they started life as 8x50 correct? I have to see what the stampings are to get a designation I think.

Unbelievable how inexpensive it is to own a piece of history that we or our kids read about in their books. Every year, I have to try to gauge the openness of my kids history teacher to firearms before I let my kids give any mention to what their dad has in his safe. But at least my kids can see for themselves.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    If I'm reading things correctly, these are really M95/30 or M95/31 rifles that went through a conversion as they started life as 8x50 correct? I have to see what the stampings are to get a designation I think.

Yup, they started out as M95 long rifles, carbines or stutzens in 8x50r before they were cut down (in long rifles case) and rechambered for 8x56r. Most were then sent to Bulgaria in the late 30's or so. I believe if it has an "S" over the barrel it is/was a 95/30 and if it has an "H" over the barrel it is/was a 31M. I'm on a serious hunt right now for a 95/30 and 31M that did not get sent to Bulgaria.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I made a pick up from the Big Brown Building of Happiness.
    Snaped some pics of both in the back of the SUV this morning.

I got 2 and paid for Hand Select.

First up is the better looking of the two.
    This one, looks all matching (I have not checked everything out though) and the stock looks good. Did not see any cracks (yet). This one has some interesting stamps on the barrel to research. You can see the stock I take it was reworked from a long version at some point?
    The Sn has the Y at the end.
    I have not taken a look a the bore yet.

Attachments

• IMG_5865.jpg
      IMG_5865.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 126
    • IMG_5867.jpg
      IMG_5867.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 126
    • IMG_5882.jpg
      IMG_5882.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 120
    • IMG_5869.jpg
      IMG_5869.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 125
    • IMG_5871.jpg
      IMG_5871.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 123
    • IMG_5885.jpg
      IMG_5885.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 122

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    You lucked out big time. Yours appears to be a post WW1 assembled Czech M95. The Czechs received a large amount of M95 parts as part of the reparations and assembled rifles out of them

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    ok, now I see that. Researching further, it looks like the build/conversion was done in 1920.

Here is 2nd Steyr M95
    The stock is a bit more rough and so is the metal.
    Dated 1903 and what looks like an Austrian Crest on the right side of Barrel

Attachments

• IMG_5874.jpg
      IMG_5874.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 113
    • IMG_5873.jpg
      IMG_5873.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 115
    • IMG_5877.jpg
      IMG_5877.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 113
    • IMG_5875.jpg
      IMG_5875.jpg
      53 KB · Views: 113
    • SteyrStamp.jpg
      SteyrStamp.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 115

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    You Lucky SOB. Thats a 1903 Bulgarian Contract that was converted! The crest is worn but you got another sought after piece!

Your posts convinced me to order one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom