• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You Lucky SOB. Thats a 1903 Bulgarian Contract that was converted! The crest is worn but you got another sought after piece!

Your posts convinced me to order one
    Now that I look at the Bulgarian Crest, that explains that curve on the right.
    I was guessing it was a scrubbed crest.

I"m only lucky when I order 2.

Interesting differences in Front Sights and Front sling bands.

Attachments

• Steyrfrontsights.JPG
      Steyrfrontsights.JPG
      44.1 KB · Views: 159
    • SteyrBands.JPG
      SteyrBands.JPG
      36.5 KB · Views: 158

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    ok, The bolt on the Czech bolt is not matching but the Bulgarian contract converted is all matching. Now, the Bulgarian has some sort of Shellac on top and its flaking off pretty bad when being handled. The top hand guard is pretty much already worn off and the grain on the wood is pretty nice.

These guns need a total strip down cause the Cosmo is deep into the inside. I tore one down tonight. Bolt diss-assembly is easy with the vid linked earlier in this thread. Mineral spirit bath then soaking in some kroil for some of the crud.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Update, you really need to disassemble this Steyr just like a Mosin.
    Reciever screws on the bottom are staked in, so its a pain to loosen them. The barrel bands are not so bad, loosen then push forwards to slip off.
    Mineral spirts and Qtips to clean the magazine area. I did not pull that apart.
    There is cosmo in the chamber and in the bolt. It might fire, but it might also hang up the firing pin on you. More Qtips and Mineral spirits to clean up the trigger area, then I oiled it.
    Putting the bolt back together, the only tricky part is inserting the bolt assembly w/ the extractor. you have to insert it in just right when you put the extractor back on. I did it the first time and then when I tested cocking the bolt, I realized I removed all the grease in the grooves and it was harder to cock. Pulled it back apart and put new clean grease into the grooves. Just like a Swiss K31, if the bolt is dry, its a pain to cycle. But with the M95, when you need to pull and twist the bolt to re-insert it, that grease on your hands makes it a pain. But I got it back together. There are Austrian Crests undernieth on the 1903 Hungarian Contract gun. I put it back together except the barrel bands. I won't get to the Czech one till probably the weekend. 2 boxes of 8x56r comes in friday.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I picked one of these up too, did the handpick as well, and don't seem to have come out of it quite so good. Rifle seems to be in decent shape, action appears to work well, although I have not disassembled or cleaned it. But the rifle is heavily shellacked, and so far as I can tell, no real interesting markings, except what may have been struck off or defaced. Perhaps it had Nazi marks, but hard to tell.

Attachments

• steyr top receiver.jpg
      steyr top receiver.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 116
    • steyr 95 5.jpg
      steyr 95 5.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 119
    • steryr 95 2.jpg
      steryr 95 2.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 116
    • steyr 95 7 better top receiver.jpg
      steyr 95 7 better top receiver.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 118
    • steyr 95 6.jpg
      steyr 95 6.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 122

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Oh man, I would love to have a Czech one. I got two real nice ones, one real cheap during the 12 days of Christmas sale, but neither is anything rare or unique...

Enjoy them, I love mine!! I may just have to order another, even though some of these look pretty rough.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Here are a couple other pics of the receiver/barrel of the M95 I got from SOG. Overall I'm okay with it for $119. Bolt not so hard to deal with, barrel is ok, a little pitted. Wood does have some hairline cracks, heavy shellac, but the wood is clean compared to metal. It all cleaned up nicely and easily.

According to the website I went to the marks (W+eagle=date) show an imperial Austrian acceptance mark (W=Wein) plus imperial eagle, plus date (1910?). Parts don't match, though most are Austrian (K) marks.

Attachments

• Receiver m95 1.jpg
      Receiver m95 1.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 93
    • Receiver m95 2.jpg
      Receiver m95 2.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 88

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My ammo from SG came in. As long as ammo can be purchased, $ is not that big of a deal. I got this cause it was cheap and historic so if I put a box or two through it so be it. If the bores are worn out so what it's a collectAble .
    I did get the dies and bullets enough to reload 100 rounds though. Even reloading is 50 cents a round.
    Hmm this may make a handy hunting rifle for the woods.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Here are a couple other pics of the receiver/barrel of the M95 I got from SOG. Overall I'm okay with it for $119. Bolt not so hard to deal with, barrel is ok, a little pitted. Wood does have some hairline cracks, heavy shellac, but the wood is clean compared to metal. It all cleaned up nicely and easily.

According to the website I went to the marks (W+eagle=date) show an imperial Austrian acceptance mark (W=Wein) plus imperial eagle, plus date (1910?). Parts don't match, though most are Austrian (K) marks.

How recently did you purchase? I really don't need a project for $119.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

Yes, If the barrel matches (Not scrubbed or renumbered) it was made/accepted in 1910. If the barrel doesn't match or has been scrubbed the barrel was made that year but there is no way to tell what year the receiver was made since they are not dated.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Yes, If the barrel matches (Not scrubbed or renumbered) it was made/accepted in 1910. If the barrel doesn't match or has been scrubbed the barrel was made that year but there is no way to tell what year the receiver was made since they are not dated.

Thanks. Barrel and receiver match though nothing else so far as I can tell.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The brown paint on the 1903 was flaking off so I rejuvenated it by taking it off gently. No sandpaper was needed. I hand rubbed several light coats of BLO. The handguard and lower front end had almost no paint left and the color pretty consistent after the work was done.
    You can see that the paint was covering up 2 other stock numbers so this stock is on it's 3rd gun. All the rest of the metal and Bolt match.
    This one had more cosmo than the other which was pretty clean. They both have dark bores. I hope to shoot both today.

Attachments

• image-4057932799.jpg
      image-4057932799.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 70
    • image-2186396429.jpg
      image-2186396429.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 68
    • image-705972896.jpg
      image-705972896.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 70
    • image-2033183421.jpg
      image-2033183421.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 67
    • image-775599401.jpg
      image-775599401.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 67
    • image-1735896447.jpg
      image-1735896447.jpg
      33.5 KB · Views: 67
    • image-912602721.jpg
      image-912602721.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 70

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Took to range
    Used PPU soft point
    All pics are 25 yards
    First is the 1920 Czech bench
    2nd is 1903 Bulgarian contract bench
    3rd is 1903 Czech offhand
    The bore on both is frosty
    I'm hoping shooting 100 rounds through each will smoothen the lands and make them shoot better
    My reloads may help too. The bullets I have should be a bit larger than tha PPU
    As you can see the 1903 was better but still not good. Still though it's an interesting gun

Attachments

• image-3892381101.jpg
      image-3892381101.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 64
    • image-363033712.jpg
      image-363033712.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 64
    • image-1603550840.jpg
      image-1603550840.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 63

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Took to range
    Used PPU soft point
    All pics are 25 yards
    First is the 1920 Czech bench
    2nd is 1903 Bulgarian contract bench
    3rd is 1903 Czech offhand
    The bore on both is frosty
    I'm hoping shooting 100 rounds through each will smoothen the lands and make them shoot better
    My reloads may help too. The bullets I have should be a bit larger than tha PPU
    As you can see the 1903 was better but still not good. Still though it's an interesting gun

And the recoil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom