• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    The hold up, as I learned getting my HQL, is that it doesn't really matter that your background is clean. There may be some felon out there that has a similar name to yours, and they have to make sure you aren't that felon. The concern seems to be that even though they have your DL number, fingerprints, shoe size, and DNA, they don't have it on hand for the felon. So you wait.

To get an idea of your possible namesakes causing the ruckus, query your own name in the Maryland JIS database and see what pops out.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Submitted today for HQL.

Does providing SSN make a different in approval time?

I'm not sure if it does or not, maybe someone with more experience in this process can chime in here.

I got fingerprinted at the Frederick County Sheriff's Office on Dec. the 16th and submitted my (training exempt) HQL application the same day.

I went ahead and gave my SSN since they already have it from the numerous 77R's I've submitted over the years, so I saw no reason not to include it.

As of today I have 2 of the 11 items completed from the online checklist. I'm guessing this is going to be a slow process considering the holidays, and many employees at MSP and other agencies are probably on vacation etc., so I'm not holding my breath that this is going to get done quickly.

I realize they are supposed to complete your application within 30 days, but as far as I know there aren't any consequences for them if they don't, so there's not much comfort in knowing that.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm not sure if it does or not, maybe someone with more experience in this process can chime in here.

I got fingerprinted at the Frederick County Sheriff's Office on Dec. the 16th and submitted my (training exempt) HQL application the same day.

I went ahead and gave my SSN since they already have it from the numerous 77R's I've submitted over the years, so I saw no reason not to include it.

As of today I have 2 of the 11 items completed from the online checklist. I'm guessing this is going to be a slow process considering the holidays, and many employees at MSP and other agencies are probably on vacation etc., so I'm not holding my breath that this is going to get done quickly.

I realize they are supposed to complete your application within 30 days, but as far as I know there aren't any consequences for them if they don't, so there's not much comfort in knowing that.
    Gotcha thanks for the reply. Never thought I'd go through with the process, but 2A had a really nice gen4 G19 I couldn't pass up.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Anyone whose approval takes more than 30 days should contact MSI. If MSP cannot or will not comply with the law, the courts need to know; it will help our case against the law if MSP isn't following it ... that is the consequence for MSP and the antis if they don't follow the law and do timely approvals

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Anyone whose approval takes more than 30 days should contact MSI. If MSP cannot or will not comply with the law, the courts need to know; it will help our case against the law if MSP isn't following it ... that is the consequence for MSP and the antis if they don't follow the law and do timely approvals

I'm hoping it won't, but if it goes beyond 30 days I certainly will let MSI know about it, and thanks for suggesting that.

I'll also make a polite phone call to the relevant parties at MSP to see what's going on.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Submitted 12/12
    Everything but livescan, cjis, dhmh 12/15
    Dhmh 12/19

Still blank on livescan and cjis

I submitted mine on 12/3 and everything but the CJIS was approved by 12/5. I am still waiting for the CJIS to get approved. I submitted training, previously purchased regulated firearms, and I have a security clearance. I am pretty sure my CJIS is clean, but I am still waiting. I hope it takes more than 30 days because then I will show up to their office and ask why it took so long and see what the response is.

The frustrating thing is when you receive the letter from CJIS that states no criminal record was found, yet the MDSP checklist still reads as incomplete. It's almost like it's intentionally ignored to slow the process down. I'm still stuck on NICS, CJIS, and JIS. Never been arrested, charged, or convicted of anything...so what is the hold up Maryland?

Myself and I believe Montoya were hung up on CJIS and JIS for almost 3 weeks. When everything else was completed in a couple days. This is while we watched people on here reporting in the interim after we applied having their whole applications completed in a couple of days and a week later receiving their cards, while we are still waiting! Witnessing and watching all this bullsh!t going down was pretty hard to take while your baby is sitting at the FFL getting fondled by God knows whom!

FederalFF

Dec 5, 2014
    Well finally approved! Only took 20 days, but now I am waiting for the actual physical card. So lets see how long that takes.

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    Well finally approved! Only took 20 days, but now I am waiting for the actual physical card. So lets see how long that takes.
    Merry Christmas, FederalFF. Good for you...my training guy, who seemed to be pretty knowledgable with the current laws and has a FFL, told me that your FFL can legally sell you your firearm with nothing more than a screen shot showing the pertinents. He said basically because of the unclear wording of the law and different interpretations, some FFL's err on the side of caution, but it is legal.

Dec 21, 2014
    Applied online for HQL 12/18, now I wait...

20 days to process... Sadface...

I guess I knew this process would take forever. My own fault for not getting the thing before I wanted to take delivery on a great priced couple of guns to add to the collection. Adding insult to injury, my work/life/etc prevented me from filing until 3 days after my LiveScan. Bangs head on table...

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Merry Christmas, FederalFF. Good for you...my training guy, who seemed to be pretty knowledgable with the current laws and has a FFL, told me that your FFL can legally sell you your firearm with nothing more than a screen shot showing the pertinents. He said basically because of the unclear wording of the law and different interpretations, some FFL's err on the side of caution, but it is legal.

While MSP isn't a reliable source of legal information, they have been telling FFLs that they have to see the physical card. Legal or not, most are following the MSP guidance to protect themselves from legal action.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    livescan done at Harford Sheriffs office on 12/18, Training exempt and submitted same day. DHMH done 12/19 thats it so far.

Im with Shoobedoo, holidays are prob going to screw us and take what seems like forever. :(

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I submitted mine on 12/3 and everything but the CJIS was approved by 12/5. I am still waiting for the CJIS to get approved. I submitted training, previously purchased regulated firearms, and I have a security clearance. I am pretty sure my CJIS is clean, but I am still waiting. I hope it takes more than 30 days because then I will show up to their office and ask why it took so long and see what the response is.

I'm confused why you needed to submit any proof of training..?? If you had any previously purchased regulated firearms in Maryland you should have just filed a "training exempt" HQL application, all you needed in order to do that was to provide the relevant information from any one of those regulated firearms on your app, ie. make, model, caliber, date of purchase, and serial number.

As for showing up at their office and asking "why it took so long", I wouldn't recommend that, it could potentially end up making your wait even longer. A polite phone call would probably be a more productive move.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You are not limited to a regulated firearm purchased in MD to be training exempt.. The statute says "regulated firearm" without regard to where it was purchased.

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    Applied 12/12
    All completed 12/15 except for DMHN; DJS not applicable
    Active as of today!

Waiting for my HQL card in the mail...

Make sure to fill out the form completely and accurately...Take your time!!!

UPDATE:

I received the HQL card in the mail today. Total=12 days :):):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom