• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Anybody here fly fish for rockfish out on the Susquehanna Flats or elsewhere? I'd like to give it a try, but I've never fly fished for anything other than trout and panfish. I don't have a boat, so I'll be fishing from shore. I'd appreciate any tips and advice you're willing to share.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Have you fished for anything on the river yet? I've spent a lot of time with a flea stick up there and it takes a bit to learn river patterns before wearing your arm out with big flies chasing rockfish. Now is the time to be up there! The rock are all over the river. Just goe up, chase some smallies, perch, flatheads and go from there. You aren't too far from me and I haven't fished the river in a while. PM me and we can head up.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have caught a few and you're best bet is to fish the Susquehanna below the damn. Use Chartreuse over white clousers and all white deceivers. Just fish like you're trying to catch small mouth. I've taken my kayak out on the flats twice now with no luck.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, an 8wt. is the perfect weight for stripers. I prefer a sink-tip at least and sometimes a sinking line but, I fish from a boat. There're a lot of guides who work that area in the spring but, I'm sure most have left by now. The best spot to catch'm there is the big flat in the middle, just as it falls off into say, 6' of water. Unfortunately you won't be able to reach that from shore. Devonian is right on the fly selection, though, I have my own patterns I like to use. Good luck

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have caught a few and you're best bet is to fish the Susquehanna below the damn. Use Chartreuse over white clousers and all white deceivers. Just fish like you're trying to catch small mouth. I've taken my kayak out on the flats twice now with no luck.

No love for the Grey Ghost? I really need to go fly fishing again. I've got six fly rods and they haven't been used in six years.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No love for the Grey Ghost? I really need to go fly fishing again. I've got six fly rods and they haven't been used in six years.

Not for stripers, not as durable as hair flies, though i'm sure they'd work. They don't sink as fast.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Thanks for the advice gang. Shaddydan may have a point, I haven't fished the river in 10-15 years (since I was young enough that people were tying my hooks for me), so maybe it would be a good idea to get familiar with it before bringing out the fly gear. I spend the vast majority of my fishing time stalking trout on little streams, but I decided that I want to broaden my horizons, and since the river is only 20-30 min from home, it seems like a good place to start. I picked up an 8wt with the Susquehanna and maybe the Baltimore Co. reservoirs in mind.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I meant to fish the river with a fly rod. Plenty on 20" rockfish in the river all summer. Also, carry yellow and red closers tied like a mickey finn with the red in the middle. Deadly on walleye! And they taste better anyway.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I meant to fish the river with a fly rod. Plenty on 20" rockfish in the river all summer. Also, carry yellow and red closers tied like a mickey finn with the red in the middle. Deadly on walleye! And they taste better anyway.

MDS fishing outing and fish fry/cook? I don't fish, not because I don't like it, but I have no time or money for another hobby, but wouldn't mind fishing and finding out how y'all prepare them.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks

Roger that. I hear green over chartreuse and yellow/red/yellow clousers, anything else? What sizes should I be looking at? Any other flies (poppers, etc)?

MDS fishing outing and fish fry/cook? I don't fish, not because I don't like it, but I have no time or money for another hobby, but wouldn't mind fishing and finding out how y'all prepare them.

I'm game! Give me a week or so to get a hold of some flies for river fish, then lets do it.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Also, Outrider58 mentioned a sink-tip. Is that what I want for an all-round line for this type of fishing? Floating line too?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Also, Outrider58 mentioned a sink-tip. Is that what I want for an all-round line for this type of fishing? Floating line too?

I guess that would depend on depth and current. Heavy current, sink tips are great in getting you into the strike zone faster, and once there, keeping you there. Also, depth wise, any water say, deeper than 4' or so, I'd recommend a sink tip or a sinking line. Otherwise, every time you give the fly action, it will want to rise to the surface.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I guess that would depend on depth and current. Heavy current, sink tips are great in getting you into the strike zone faster, and once there, keeping you there. Also, depth wise, any water say, deeper than 4' or so, I'd recommend a sink tip or a sinking line. Otherwise, every time you give the fly action, it will want to rise to the surface.

Is anyone still making the multi-head lines? Instead of just floating, you can switch out floating, slow sink, medium sink, and fast sink heads. IIRC Orvis made one in different weights.

ETA: I couldn't find it on Orvis' site, but this is one by Airflo: http://www.lostcreekflies.com/item/Airflo-Multi-Tip-Fly-Line-94 Not cheap, but less than getting a second spool with another line and backing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is anyone still making the multi-head lines? Instead of just floating, you can switch out floating, slow sink, medium sink, and fast sink heads. IIRC Orvis made one in different weights.

ETA: I couldn't find it on Orvis' site, but this is one by Airflo: http://www.lostcreekflies.com/item/Airflo-Multi-Tip-Fly-Line-94 Not cheap, but less than getting a second spool with another line and backing.

Off hand I don't know but, I would also look at ''Teeny Fly Lines'' or ''Teeny Lines'' made by Jim Teeny. They too are not cheap but are very high quality lines. Bass Pro also has a line of lines and some of them are quite good.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Roger that. I hear green over chartreuse and yellow/red/yellow clousers, anything else? What sizes should I be looking at? Any other flies (poppers, etc)?

I'm game! Give me a week or so to get a hold of some flies for river fish, then lets do it.

Get some white gurglers and maybe a few bobs bangers for the top water. 2/0 hooks are a good starting point.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I have some flies and a sink tip line on order. As soon as they get here and I get a chance to practice casting with a sink tip line, I'm looking forward to testing the waters, so to speak.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have some flies and a sink tip line on order. As soon as they get here and I get a chance to practice casting with a sink tip line, I'm looking forward to testing the waters, so to speak.

It helps to keep the loop a little more open than you would a floating line.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    It helps to keep the loop a little more open than you would a floating line.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The small streams that I generally fish don't call for much distance, and I fish a lot of Tenkara anyway, so I'm sure this will take some practice.

sent from an over-priced camera/internet browser that can be used as a phone in an emergency

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom