• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Will hopefully be getting my handi rifle back from Remington with a new .357 Magnum barrel and would like to ream it out to .357 Maximum

Does anyone have a reamer to beg, borrow or rent?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    By the time two or more of you rent the reamer and ship it both ways, you could have bought one...PTG's go for $105 + S&H.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    By the time two or more of you rent the reamer and ship it both ways, you could have bought one...PTG's go for $105 + S&H.

The rent from Greybeard is $20 plus shipping back (USPS flat rate) - so the total is less than 30 bucks. I was just wondering if anyone local had one so I didn't have to wait so long.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Ed, that round is supposed to be a revolver killer due to flame cutting. Throat erosion in a rifle in less than 1000 rounds? whats your take?

From what I have read, the erosion issue was a concern if shooting light weight bullets with max powder loads; not with heavier projectiles.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Keep in mind too, that many of those reamers have been to hell and back due to folks who didn't use them properly.

You could buy a new one, sell it when you're done, and come out pretty close to even dollar wise.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Reamers can be resharpened MANY times before they need to be replaced.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ed, that round is supposed to be a revolver killer due to flame cutting. Throat erosion in a rifle in less than 1000 rounds? whats your take?
    Flame cutting of the revolvers' top strap was a problem, but in a closed breech there is no problem and they wear the throat like any other cartridge of similar bore ratio. I have two Contender barrels chambered for the .357 Max, one a reamed .357 Mag from the 70s and one a factory .357 Max barrel from the 90s, both have hundreds of rounds through them and neither shows any wear at all.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Flame cutting of the revolvers' top strap was a problem, but in a closed breech there is no problem and they wear the throat like any other cartridge of similar bore ratio. I have two Contender barrels chambered for the .357 Max, one a reamed .357 Mag from the 70s and one a factory .357 Max barrel from the 90s, both have hundreds of rounds through them and neither shows any wear at all.

K, on paper it's a pretty impressive round. INFINITELY better than a 357 Mag. especially on deer sized game. :thumbsup:

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    If you buy or rent, make sure you get a reamer throated for a rifle not a revolver. I used GBO's rifle reamer for my Handi. Worked fine. IIRC, flat rate return shipping was only like $6.

Be advised that many Handi rifles have a deep rim cut. Don't cut it any deeper when lengthening the chamber.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    If you buy or rent, make sure you get a reamer throated for a rifle not a revolver. I used GBO's rifle reamer for my Handi. Worked fine. IIRC, flat rate return shipping was only like $6.

Be advised that many Handi rifles have a deep rim cut. Don't cut it any deeper when lengthening the chamber.

I plan to rub some crayon on the back end of the barrel and when the reamer starts scraping the crayon off, I have gone deep enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom