• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    I was trying to speak to the majority of the people that I hear from on a regular basis; trying to reach out to those that just 'go along' with the chant for 'universal background checks' without really understanding it. I tried to start my comments by saying I'm generally for checks and balances if they keep guns out of the hands of criminals. But then I tried to articulate that that's not happening, and it only harms us (the People); and the ultimate purpose for this is to ultimately try to take all guns from the People.

I'm not for new laws at all, I do think there is some middle ground if the antis are willing to listen and for the time being, I'm ok with permits, training and background checks, especially for those that want to carry in public and be left alone. Its ridiculous that we have to have a background check (pay fee *tax) over and over. Its already illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to a prohibited person; we don't need more laws regarding this that criminals will continue to ignore.

Excellent point, and I agree. This is where we find ourselves today. I did mention that the few states that are now Constitutional carry are doing quite well, and maybe in the future this is an even better solution. But today we have checks, and it seems to appease the masses that believe it makes a big difference.

I see the point you were making now. For some reason I got stuck on one point and then replied......

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Minuteman, I agree with your well stated position. I am not opposed to an FFL making a call to verify that I am not a felon when I buy a gun. Right now, that system keeps most of the bad guys out of gun stores. I'd hate to see a time when a bad guy (read convicted felon) could walk into a gun store and buy a firearm without any sort of check. The lines are already too long! :lol2:

And I also agree with some of the other posts... Since I already have carry permits from other states (sadly not MD since I'm not of the anointed class... yeah, I'm jealous) and I have received a bunch of training, have a few certifications and a spotless record as far as the law is concerned, and have bought more than a few regulated firearms in the last decade, it seems silly (well, ridiculous and insulting) that I had to purchase yet another permit just to buy another handgun.

We certainly don't need more laws. We do, however, need to enforce ALL the laws we have now, like mandatory sentences for the use of a firearm in the commission of a crime. Every single time. And hopefully we can amend some of the laws we have now to be less restrictive on law abiding citizens.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The worst part of the universal background check schemes, is it requires the registration of every gun you buy, to you,which is the 1st step that the powers that be need to confiscate them when they feel the need arises. Eventually they will require you to register every gun you own, so that they can track them, and then want to be able to come and check to make sure you have not transfered them without a background check. I would almost support it if there was a system set up were anybody could enter a person's info and it would kick back what they were prohibited from doing like child care, gun ownership, driving, etc.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The worst part of the universal background check schemes, is it requires the registration of every gun you buy, to you,which is the 1st step that the powers that be need to confiscate them when they feel the need arises. Eventually they will require you to register every gun you own, so that they can track them, and then want to be able to come and check to make sure you have not transfered them without a background check. I would almost support it if there was a system set up were anybody could enter a person's info and it would kick back what they were prohibited from doing like child care, gun ownership, driving, etc.

Absolutely. This is the main reason to oppose 'universal background checks'.

Most people I know either only sell to friends, or ask to see a voter registration card as a very low level measure to see if they are a felon. That's not ideal, we can do a lot better; but agree, it shouldn't require 'registration'.

I don't think any of us want criminals being sold guns over the counter, so for that reason, a background check is reasonable and warranted. I'm not speaking to private sales. I think the law in this arena were it is now is generally working; we could do some tweaking to make it a bit more user friendly for the law-abiding folks who already have guns.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics

As I understand the NRA, the government would like to save the information submitted by the FFL for the purchase and or transfer of a firearm. This would be a data base for registration. Registration = Confiscation.
    Neither is Constitutional and both are a morality issue.

Stand up for Freedom. Registration is the prerequisite to confiscation, which is the prerequisite to dictatorship and extermination.

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American… [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." – Tench Coxe, 1788

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150626/ny-data-reveals-futility-of-gun-registration-laws

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

That's not how it works in most states. It's more insidious. It identifies you as a gun owner, whether you have one or one hundred guns. It's not gun registration, it's person registration. We are betting that the request record is deleted from whatever database in NICS after the query.

Maryland just enshrines that query for all time. Or until the database crashes. Or the Chinese steal it...

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    That's not how it works in most states. It's more insidious. It identifies you as a gun owner, whether you have one or one hundred guns. It's not gun registration, it's person registration. We are betting that the request record is deleted from whatever database in NICS after the query.

Maryland just enshrines that query for all time. Or until the database crashes. Or the Chinese steal it...

I agree, it happens with every time you have to have your data entered into an ammo or powder log also. They wil never believe the boating mishaps that everybody talks about. The best we can do in the long run is fight back against these actions. Any handguns that you that have that were acquired before 1996 or long guns that were private sales without paperwork are the first ones that you will need to lose to the world, before they start asking questions about what you own.

Last edited:

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Universal back ground checks mean you will need to get government permission to sell or otherwise dispose of YOUR property. You will need "permission" to exercise an "Unalienable" RIGHT. That converts your RIGHT to something other than a right. A "privilege" is not a right.It is "Permission" GRANTED by the government. If we allow our rights to be converted to privileges, perhaps we don't deserve rights.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I imagine that the antis' reasoning goes something like this:

- well, yes, criminals get their guns by illegal means

- those guns were "legal"at some point and they became illegal through theft, loss or a legal owner illegally transferring them

- therefore, making it more difficult and ultimately impossible for people to legally acquire guns means that criminals will no longer be able to get guns illegally.

- oh yeah, and why does anyone need a gun anyway?

Just my guess.

Drugs that have complete prohibitions on them, such as crack cocaine, have no legal acquisition path. And yet, not only do criminals manage to get their hands on those drugs, they have built and maintain a thriving and lucrative market for them, so much so that the trillions the government has spent in its attempt to enforce its prohibitions has not made a significant dent in that market, much less shut it down altogether. This has been the case for so long that quite a few people (many of them the very same people who argue in favor of bans on firearms) advocate for lifting the bans.

If criminals cannot steal the weapons from those who legally own them, they'll import them. If they can't import them, they'll manufacture them. The experience with the drug trade proves that criminals will not be deterred in acquiring whatever they truly wish to acquire, and will manufacture it themselves if they must. Funny how people who don't give a shit about the law tend to do whatever they want, isn't it?

No, the "thinking" used by those who favor background checks is no more rational than that used by those who favor "gun free" zones.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    We have UBC in DE (with some exceptions for family members and CCDW license holders) but nothing has changed. Just a feel good law is all.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Halbrook's brief filed in federal court on July 31 says, simply, "An arm protected by the Second Amendment may not be required to be registered... It cannot be imagined that the Americans of the founding generation would have deemed any requirement that all of their firearms be registered with the Crown or, later, any government entity, as consistent with their right to possess firearms, any more than they would have viewed speaker registration consistent with the right to utter opinions."

Anyone browsing gun-rights forums on the Internet will see plenty of analogies between the First Amendment and the Second Amendment, often with comparisons like: "I can't wait for the law which says that not only must newspapers register their printing presses and get licenses to publish, but so must individuals register their computers and printers and get licenses to print or to blog."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sorry-mandatory-gun-registration-is-constitutional/

All of this will depend on the next election, President and possibly 6-8 Republican senators. Who will get to choose the next 2 or more supreme court
    justices'.

Like many states have done already, and 90% of those "Will not Comply".
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/07/daniel-zimmerman/contest-entry-i-will-not-comply/

Next question is "Who will try and enforce those laws?"

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    The guy that shot my sister in-law got 30 years for the murder, 3 years for killing the family dog and nothing for using a stolen handgun. There's the problem.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Maryland's Handgun Laws are designed to keep handguns out of the hands of low income citizens. I spend more money a month on AMMO than the HQL process would cost me. I do NOT have and will NOT get one.
    When the NAACP/ACLU gets behind keeping guns out of the hands of low income citizens, (like showing an ID to VOTE is designed to keep low income citizens from voting) things will change in Maryland.

Where required Voters ID card are free and can be obtained at many government agencies and should not be a burden to any voter.
    In MD the HQL costs up to $200 and there's lots of hoops to jump through. Many people (like me) refuse to do so and forfeit their rights. :sad20:

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    No, the "thinking" used by those who favor background checks is no more rational than that used by those who favor "gun free" zones.

I believe there is some rational thinking.

It's conscience manipulation and pandering, pure and simple. Taking advantage of various highly publicized shootings, one side created the Republican/NRA boogyman that's blocking a so-called panacea. It's yet another talking point that every Liberal Democrat parrots to hide their failures and get/stay in power and it's also easy meme and rallying cry for the uninformed to get behind.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    UBC does not have to lead to registration. But for that to happen we have to make our own proposal. And for that to happen WD have to stop pretending its pre 1934

There are ways to to UBC that do not require any record of purchase and in fact will render any attempt to compile such a record physically impossible. .

Perhaps someday out side will be ready to bring the proposal forward.. perhaps not.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    UBC does not have to lead to registration. But for that to happen we have to make our own proposal. And for that to happen WD have to stop pretending its pre 1934

There are ways to to UBC that do not require any record of purchase and in fact will render any attempt to compile such a record physically impossible. .

Perhaps someday out side will be ready to bring the proposal forward.. perhaps not.

You could be correct. BUT.
    The NRA opposes this legislation because it does not address the real problems of fixing the broken mental health system and prosecuting criminals. Further, criminals will never submit to such a system so it will never truly be “universal” – and according to a recent Justice Department research paper the only way to enforce “universal background checks” is to create a national registry of gun owners.

Not sure what you think about NRA. I was under the impression UBC were to be done thru NICS with record of that data kept in database.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012

There is no form of UBC that does not lead to registration of the PURCHASER. There are indeed forms that do not lead to registration of the firearm, but that doesn't help when the person is known to have a firearm.

Regardless, there is no form of UBC that actually does anything worthwhile. Even if we acquiesce on this, I guarantee we'll get nothing truly worthwhile in exchange for it. See, e.g., how well FOPA has actually "protected" firearm owners when they actually needed that protection. The only federal legislation that would be worth a damn will be impossible to get. It would be like asking the Republicans to get behind a strong gay marriage protection bill in exchange for some social program or other. Not gonna happen.

The anti-RKBA crowd is opposed to firearms on religious grounds in the same way that many Republicans are opposed to gay marriage. It is a central component of their position, one they will not give up precisely BECAUSE they are religiously wed to it.

Regardless, legislation that is passed and which empowers the citizenry can just as easily be rescinded. All it takes is a temporary political shift. So at best you'd be buying a little time. Without the backing of the courts, such legislation will be worthless in the end. This is in stark contrast to legislation such as the Civil Rights Act, which FOLLOWED judicial support for those rights.

No, our situation is very different, and we'd better start figuring that out.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Last edited:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Do you believe that the federal government deletes anything these days?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

I am interested to know how the request for a UBC can be made such that saving it as an piece of data is physically impossible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom