• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Your still missing a key point.. The gov is not the only source of verification.

The source of verification isn't the problem. I was using the government as a signing authority because it's the one the courts are most likely to implicitly trust.

Indeed, the list itself has to be traceable back to its origin. Otherwise, the courts will assume that the list that was used by the seller was not a valid one. So at the very least, the list has to be signed by the government at some point (or whichever centralized source will be considered the trusted repository for it). And since validity of the list is a time-sensitive thing, it follows that it has to be signed at the time of download. It's not enough to have it signed at the time of last revision, since the amount of time between revisions is not necessarily fixed (what if it's been a week since the last new felon was added?). A signature at time of download from the government (or whichever entity is responsible for updating it) ensures that the list is known to be current at the time of download, regardless of how long it's been since the last revision.

Now, you could have the entity that manages the list sign it whenever it is revised, and then have whichever trusted download sources exist for it sign it at time of download. That would also work. As long as the list is cryptographically traceable to its modification origin, it's all good.

Nor is your propose method the best to use.. But that's a quible..
    I'd be interested in knowing what shortcomings it has that are addressable without compromising some other necessary attribute.

Ftf sales are not legal to prohibited persons.. Thus will decrease the risk of such sales to the seller..that's a plus.
    Oh, I quite agree. I'm not saying at this point that we're better off without this system than with it. I'm saying that making its use mandatory is wholly unnecessary. If someone wishes to open themselves up to the possibility of prosecution, that's their call. If they have some other method of proving that the person they sold the firearm to was not a prohibited person at the time of the sale, that's fine. But it has to be something the buyer agrees to, because any buyer who was concerned about being put into a registry would need to be convinced that the method used was sound in that regard.

Meanwhile even in free states..new product.. That's is modern improved guns can not enter the secondary market directly.. But must be papered..thus method will apply equally to ffls and as such will liberate those sales...there is right now only a way to by pass the background check via the ccw permit.. But I believe the 4473 is still in use.
    Hmm...that's a point I hadn't considered. But yes, if the new system explicitly supplants the existing one for FFLs, that would indeed be a win.

Now the politics are such that many will not directly oppose ubc..in general.. But they will
    Appose one that they can claim is overbroad, a burden on gun owners and ineffective and costly..

Now provide an alternative they can support. And you lock in a vote against the oppositions bill..
    While guvening them political cover..
    Fair enough. The real question is whether or not the bill we would propose would mandate use of the proposed system for all transfers. While the internet is much more prevalent today than in years past, I don't know that we should presume that it will always be available to anyone who wishes to perform a transfer. How will the proposed system accommodate people without internet access?

2 ways to win is allways better than only one.
    That is true as long as the probability sum of the two ways exceeds the probability of the single way, of course.

But frankly our side is outclassed.. A loss is guaranteed under the current trends.
    Yes, but I expect that to be the case even in the presence of a proposed bill such as this one. What do you expect, when the opposition owns the mainstream media?

Every time I try to recruit a moderate gun owner to get involved.. It falls apart over UBC..they will not publicly appose it. They will appose the current system.. And they will hear alternatives..
    If that really is the case, then I certainly like the system I believe you're proposing for that purpose. But I have to wonder how much effort is being spent to convince them that a UBC system will have no real beneficial effect. I have to presume that the people you're talking about can be reasoned with.

If they oppose the current system, then the next question has to be why they oppose it. More precisely, why aren't they opposing it on the basis that it imposes a real cost without generating a real effect, and why can't they be convinced to oppose it on that basis?

If we don't solve this issue we will never grow the political base we need.
    That may be. But I would argue that the problem is more fundamental than that. We will never grow the political base as long as we fail to convince others of the real value of liberty.

Last edited:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Question

Attachments

• 1936493_1143150972376816_6824553317012196383_n.jpg
      1936493_1143150972376816_6824553317012196383_n.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 203

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    You will loose.

One more time..federal law already established prohibited persons . Ship sailed..ubc will not give them more power to ban possession they could do that tomorrow by expanding the class of prohibited persons..

It will not make it easier to enforce the ban on possession..

All it will do is prevent, if done properly , UBC from becoming a firearms registry while keeping face to face scales legal.
    Something else they could ban outright under the commerce clause.

Any fool that sells a gun face to face is still risking a federal rap if the person involved is a prohibited person which now includes far more people than you can possibly imagine and there is no way to find out.

Frankly even possession of a ccw does not guarantee that a person is not prohibited under current law..

Let alone new laws. Which stamping your feet in defiance will not prevent.

National UBCs don't have a chance in passing the U.S. House of Representatives this side of 2020. That's the reality of it. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't spend time helping Michael Bloomberg's orgs develop strategies to implement gun control. If anything, we should be talking about real compromise which means repealing large chunks of NFA and GCA in exchange for anything that even remotely looks like gun control.

People that engage in FTF sales are fools, you say? Tell that to our neighbors down in Virginia or dozens of other states. The rest of the country isn't like Maryland. In all due respect, I laughed when I read that statement. I imagined some guy walking into a VCDL meeting and sharing some ideas supporting national UBCs. The guy would probably be kicked out of the organization. :lol2:

"Hey guys, let's implement a FOID/HQL program...we could call them militia cards to appeal to all the guys with tacticool gear and III% bumper stickers, and everyone would be cool with that..." :lol2::lol: Yeah, I realize you didn't say that...but it's still funny.

If actually believe that aposing ubc makes it less likely that possession bans will be expanded you have been asleep 30 years.

What Will happen is that moderates will desert us..in.fact they told us exactly that..

Take this issue from.them or you loose..

Done.

Except for the fact that the political momentum is on our side. The entire country isn't like Maryland. Kansas and Maine just passed constitutional carry, support for gun control is lower than it has ever been, and gun sales are through the roof. Sure, we will have a few more states implement some degree of UBCs, we will also have more states adopt constitutional carry.

So you think supporting UBC will make it less likely that possession bans will be expanded? In what universe??

Exactly. Any inch given to gun controllers results in a mile being taken. We need to hold them off for as long as possible on national UBCs, and if we ever cave it needs to come as a compromise of significant proportion.

I don't even engage in FTF sales, I keep the guns I purchase. Imagine how people who do buy and sell guns this way feel about the issue. I see UBCs as the golden bargaining chip we have to potentially get GCA and NFA fixed. The idea of caving doesn't make any sense to me. We've made it nearly 250 years without UBCs, I'm OK with going another 250.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Learn to distinguish state by state gains nationwide. And national.wins..

UBC was killed by the democrats last time.. and that was because they are not willing to give up the wipping boy..

UBC polls better among non gun owners than anything else..

And it polls well on our side...gun.owners as well..

WV is,going to face the same bluing that PA and Virginia face.

Washington state lossed big on UBC.. at best they will get a rational ubc.

Meanwhile how to you plan to bargin on Gca and NFA if you let the opposition write the proposal.

Why do you think.theres only 5 million NRA members..

By contact with new gun owners says UBC

And for what its worth..my UBC is not palatable to.the left...it is only useful for keeping out caucus together.

Now if ,as you say.you want UBC as a bargining chip ( news flash btw thats what we have been talking about...a gambit ) don't you think we better have a proposal ready to go?

You do not want the other side setting the agenda. That means you need to have a real affirmative proposal.

Not just say no..do.that and they drive the process.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Kcbrown:

When the perfect becomes the enemy of the good or even the better the bad wins.

We don't have time for BS and mass reeducation by magic mind rays.

We stop the hemeraging we make gains and we build on them.

That's all we got.

Last edited:

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Kcbrown:

When the perfect becomes the enemy of the good or even the better the bad wins.

We don't have time for BS and mass reeducation by magic mind rays.

We stop the hemeraging we make gains and we build on them.

That's all we got.

While that is surely true, don't we have to spend effort on education with respect to the proposal anyway? If we have to spend effort on educating people as to why UBC without registration is possible (hint: most people don't understand a thing about public key cryptography), then how is it not better to spend that same effort educating them on why UBC is worthless?

Put another way, the opposition will claim (i.e., lie) that the system we propose will not be effective, will be possible to spoof, etc. We will have to counter that somehow, and that means going to the trouble of educating the people whose support we would need. But if we have to go to the trouble of education, then I'd rather that effort be spent on generating the best outcome. Of course, that assumes that it'll be just as easy to educate people with respect to the uselessness of UBC as it will be to educate them on why our proposal would function.

Last edited:

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I just spent another half day on doing exact that.

How's your outreach going?

It's not. :(

The only people I know that I could reach out to in that way are at work, and I'm likely to lose my job if I try it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    On convincing people to back the form of UBC you're proposing, or on convincing them that UBC itself is worthless?

Both. Bait and switch works.

Nearly every time.

Once folks realise why the prohibited person list is necessary and sufficient they like you realise its either self enforing or it's useless.

If it's useless its not needed. This leaves them supporting a UBC but not the one the big O wants.. pure voluntary compliance.

And its only universal because everyone can.do it..unlike now where you need an FFl.

This is how you win.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Both. Bait and switch works.

Nearly every time.

Once folks realise why the prohibited person list is necessary and sufficient they like you realise its either self enforing or it's useless.

Are they able to tell the difference between that particular implementation being useless and the concept itself being useless? It's the latter that is reality.

If it's useless its not needed. This leaves them supporting a UBC but not the one the big O wants.. pure voluntary compliance.
    For that to be the case, they have to understand the fundamental principle that criminals never adhere to the law except when it's advantageous to them.

But if they understand that fundamental principle and are really willing to execute on it (because they also recognize the injustice of an imposition on liberty that yields no substantial benefit), then we're talking about people who would also understand that the entire felon prohibition law is worthless, along with things like the GCA of 1968 and the NFA of 1934.

Which is to say, those people are going to be real converts to our cause, so I like it!

And its only universal because everyone can.do it..unlike now where you need an FFl.

This is how you win.
    If you can really get from point A to point B in that way, I like this quite a lot. One wonders if we can get to point B fast enough to eliminate support for UBC, i.e. to make the political impetus for our proposal disappear.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Understand...if I can't kill UBC I.want to neuter it.

Most folks want feel.good law.. but feel.good law that actually does nothing is not a real threat.. the problem is the harm it actually does.

2 ways to win...kill or neuter.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    http://www.shotshow.org/2016-shot-show-retailer-seminars-dont-miss-the-nics-town-hall-meeting/

Most importantly it will spotlight the exciting implementation of the New NICS and E-Check 2.0. This new and much-anticipated database will bring needed operational efficiencies to FFL retailers while also improving how the ever-growing demands on NICS are handled. Attendee participation in this very important session will be strongly encouraged, and a question and answer segment will be included in the session, so come prepared!
    The Retail Seminar “FBI/NICS Retailer Town Hall Meeting” will be held Thursday, Jan. 21, from 1 p.m. to 2p.m. in the Lando Ballroom, Room 4302, of the Venetian. Tickets to the event are just $25 for both NSSF members and non-members. This event is garnering lots of attention and seats are filling fast.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/01/04/fbi-nics-checks-december-2015-higher-ever-3-3m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom