• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I even considered a fixed power super sniper as i heard good things but figured that I might be better off with a variable.

I like the variables, so I stick with them. Only fixed power scope I have is on my Appleseed .22 rifle.

medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    I even considered a fixed power super sniper as i heard good things but figured that I might be better off with a variable.

Variables are nice, but I have 4 SS's (10X and 16X) on some of my guns, and I love them. Always hold zero, can take some abuse, and nice clear glass.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Should I be looking at Mrad or Moa? Suggestions ?

Up to you. There is not direct benefit of one over the other. the IMPORTANT thing is to have the reticle and turrets match. MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil.

If you are going to go long range tactical shooting, most people seem to use Mil, so spotting for each other, it helps to be thinking in the same measurement system.

I went Mil on my precision rifles.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HS-T is second focal plane, not an issue if you don't intend to have to range targets at unknown distances with the optic. PST is first focal plane, one advantage is you can range a target at any magnification, unlike a second focal plane scope.

I've gotten used to MRAD, but if you're used to MOA, then stay with what you know.

PST can be first or second focal plane.

FFP is about $100 more than SFP.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    FN SPR .308 with Vortex 6-24 FFP. I just added a rail so I could use the Atlas bipod. I've had this FN out to 500 yards and it is a tack driver.

Below the FN is a Wilson Combat AR with new TACMOD buttstock...the buttstock I didn't know I needed until seeing it on this site last week! :D

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    FN SPR .308 with Vortex 6-24 FFP. I just added a rail so I could use the Atlas bipod. I've had this FN out to 500 yards and it is a tack driver.

Below the FN is a Wilson Combat AR with new TACMOD buttstock...the buttstock I didn't know I needed until seeing it on this site last week! :D

Love both of these rifles....thinking I might need that AR butt stock, looks like its a great bag rider

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Since im home with unknown ankle injury, im looking at stuff online..
    remington 700 short action .308
    Looking at 20 MOA bases, specifically EGW cause thats what i was told. should i be buying a aluminum one or steel? is there another base that is just as good? alum is like 65.00 and steel is like 116.00 both plus ship

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Variables are nice, but I have 4 SS's (10X and 16X) on some of my guns, and I love them. Always hold zero, can take some abuse, and nice clear glass.

I am curious .. what is the range of the 16x SS? the place i would be able to sight it in would be 100 yards max, but i would like to find somewhere to try my hand at 5-600 yards( maybe more). Would the 16X be ok for this? I really like the Vortex scopes but I know that with the money i ahve from selling my carbine, i can buy the SS, maybe that new magpul stock and the scope base all at once and be ready to rock.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I've been told 1x per 100 yards.

Thanks, I know that for fun shooting at the normal range i am limited to 100 yards. But the SS is starting to look like a good option to get me all set up and started. I can always put the SS on another rifle down the road and buy a 800 scope if need be. But if the 16 X Super sniper would get me started and i can regularly shoot 100 yards with it and out to 600 or even better. it sounds like a big plus money wise.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, I know that for fun shooting at the normal range i am limited to 100 yards. But the SS is starting to look like a good option to get me all set up and started. I can always put the SS on another rifle down the road and buy a 800 scope if need be. But if the 16 X Super sniper would get me started and i can regularly shoot 100 yards with it and out to 600 or even better. it sounds like a big plus money wise.

Just remember, at 100 yards a 16x scope will have a tiny field of view. Even with a 10x you won't see much at 100 yards.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Since im home with unknown ankle injury, im looking at stuff online..
    remington 700 short action .308
    Looking at 20 MOA bases, specifically EGW cause thats what i was told. should i be buying a aluminum one or steel? is there another base that is just as good? alum is like 65.00 and steel is like 116.00 both plus ship

If you go with a SS, the EGW base is too tall IMO. I went through the trial and error process a year or so ago, and made a thread about it that might save you time/frustration/money.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=106270

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just remember, at 100 yards a 16x scope will have a tiny field of view. Even with a 10x you won't see much at 100 yards.
    Good point!

If you go with a SS, the EGW base is too tall IMO. I went through the trial and error process a year or so ago, and made a thread about it that might save you time/frustration/money.

Thank you, ive been watching vids for the last hour, mainly a bunch by TiborasaurusRex , seems like if i was gonna go SS i should go either 6X or 10X max. he seems to recommend a fixed power unless you have big money to spend on a very good variable. he also recommends the SS over a bunch of higher dollar scopes which is on par with what ive heard from others.

Here is his "best picks" Vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpBxLbxhAo

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Read that and decided to measure some of the bases I have on hand, sure enough - the EGW 20-MOA base is at least .12" taller at the front mounting pad than any other of my 20-MOA bases.

Looks like the TPS 20-MOA base is going back on the rifle then. :)

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Read that and decided to measure some of the bases I have on hand, sure enough - the EGW 20-MOA base is at least .12" taller at the front mounting pad than any other of my 20-MOA bases.

Looks like the TPS 20-MOA base is going back on the rifle then. :)
    Yep, I think the egw all steel base with recoil lug is lower than the aluminum one... but I didn't buy one so I cant say for sure. Just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom