• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So, I just purchased a Remington 700 AAC-SD and I'm looking to turn this sucker into a 1000 yard stick. That being said there are a few things I am unclear about, so I'm reaching out to those more knowledgeable than me.

I'm all set on glass, rings, and base selection, but I have a few other questions:

Scope Base
    I will be using a 20 MOA base on this rifle to reach out to 1000 yards. However, I still want to be able to accurately engage targets at closer ranges - ie hunting. Will I have any issues at closer ranges like 50 - 100 yards with this base?

Bottom Metal/DMB
    I want to replace the bottom metal so it will accept a DBM. Am I correct in my inference that if it is a BDL stock it will be compatible with a DBM system? I think I've decided on the HS Precision Police. I know it's silly, but I really like the traditional stock look and feel, and I want to be able to take it into the field and hunt with it. Anyone have experience with this stock? Is there a specific bottom metal that you would recommend I look into?

Trigger
    Is the X-Mark trigger worth keeping, or would you suggest a Timney, Jewell, or other aftermarket trigger assembly?

I appreciate any info or advice you can offer. Let's keep the pissing match to a minimum though. lol

Thanks,

Michael

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    The base won't be your issue. It will come down to how much elevation travel you have in your scope. You can figure this out if you have the dope for the round you are using.

You may still need to inlet the stock of a BDL if the bottom metal isn't a drop in. I have no experience with this since I always go with a chassis for my builds.

So far I haven't had any issues with my X-Mark in my AAC. I would say just save your money for now and shoot it for a while. Then make up your mind after that.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Aaaahhhh Jewell = so so nice. Love mine and would recommend them highly.

Congrats on the new rifle, welcome to the 700 club and good luck shooting it!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Factory Trigger can be made as nice or better than any aftermarket Trigger. Dont waste money on an aftermarket Trigger for a 700.

All it takes is a knowledgable Smith to tweak the X-Mark.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The base won't be your issue. It will come down to how much elevation travel you have in your scope. You can figure this out if you have the dope for the round you are using.

You may still need to inlet the stock of a BDL if the bottom metal isn't a drop in. I have no experience with this since I always go with a chassis for my builds.

So far I haven't had any issues with my X-Mark in my AAC. I would say just save your money for now and shoot it for a while. Then make up your mind after that.

Factory Trigger can be made as nice or better than any aftermarket Trigger. Dont waste money on an aftermarket Trigger for a 700.

All it takes is a knowledgable Smith to tweak the X-Mark.

Thanks for the info. I can appreciate that an aftermarket trigger assembly might be an excellent option, but I would much rather stick with the stock assembly if possible. I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money or if the X-Mark would be acceptable.

Sounds like I will stick with the X-Mark for a while, and when I am able to recognize a need for improvement - I'll take it to a competent smith to adjust the factory trigger accordingly. Thanks guys.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Here is my AAC build.

DSC03499.JPG

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Deck was there when I moved in. It serves its purpose for now. The pool goes in where this deck sits in the spring.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you have that level permanently mounted on your scope, or were you just leveling the crosshairs at the time of pic?

How do you like the stock? Before seeing your rifle I thought I was set on the black stock, but man that OD looks bad ass... :D:thumbsup:

How does she group? Are you using 175s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom