• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm wondering if that EGW base was the reason that Viper HS fought me so much - ran out of elevation adjustment, couldn't zero for poa/poi at 100.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a precision bolt gun, but it's my only non-rimfire bolt gun. Can't wait to fire it without ear protection.

Ruger American Ranch 6970 compact 300blk
    Nikon p-300 2-7 scope
    Harris Bipod
    AAC 762sdn6

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427852763.217119.jpg

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a precision bolt gun, but it's my only non-rimfire bolt gun. Can't wait to fire it without ear protection.

Nikon p-300 2-7 scope
    Harris Bipod
    AAC 762sdn6

View attachment 147408

Looking good. Cannot wait for my stamp on my sdn to come back. Where did you find the Ruger ?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Closest thing I have is my elk gun. Tikka T3 Lite I got for my bday from the wife unit. Perfect light mountain rifle. More accurate than ill ever be able to be. 30-06

b0b99937110d65ec99d618a76bb09cc3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Nikon p-300 2-7 scope
    Harris Bipod
    AAC 762sdn6

View attachment 147408

As you said, maybe not a precision gun, but an interesting model nonetheless. Here's mine. It's the Ruger American Ranch 6968, with the 13.75 inch length of pull. Same 16.12 inch barrel, and approx 6 lb weight without the optic. Mine's wearing an inexpensive Nikon 3-9x40 and has a Troy Claymore muzzle brake, not a suppressor but putatively pushes sound forward away from the shooter. Need to put a sling on it, but eager to range test soon as I've been accumulating 300BLK.

Also ran some rounds through the mag (and a couple of spares that I picked up), pushing them out by hand and it seemed to feed smoothly. There had been internet reports of mag issues when these first trickled out in 2014.

Ruger's specs ...

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/6968.html

Grainy cell pics ...

aa643c8ba3227111a9d832742368bfe0.jpg
    c2320f662b2f486c2b5f7c04d5ea32e3.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Closest thing I have is my elk gun. Tikka T3 Lite I got for my bday from the wife unit. Perfect light mountain rifle. More accurate than ill ever be able to be. 30-06

b0b99937110d65ec99d618a76bb09cc3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet. Saw a Winchester Model 70 featherweight (2007 production) in 30-06 at my local gun store in Frederick yesterday (Gunrunners). Beautiful gun. Smooth action. Even with a Leupold optic, it was well balanced and not hefty in the least. Did wonder what 30-06 might feel on the shoulder from a lightweight rifle, but less of an issue for a hunting vs range gun.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Sweet. Saw a Winchester Model 70 featherweight (2007 production) in 30-06 at my local gun store in Frederick yesterday (Gunrunners). Beautiful gun. Even with a Leupold optic, it was well balanced and not hefty in the least. Did wonder what 30-06 might feel on the shoulder from a lightweight rifle, but less of an issue for a hunting vs range gun.

A good example of felt recoil on a lite 30-06 would be the kimber mountain accent rifle. They had to put a muzzle brake on that one because it kicked so hard. I have a Ruger American in 30-06 and it is pretty lite, pretty heavy recoil.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Sweet. Saw a Winchester Model 70 featherweight (2007 production) in 30-06 at my local gun store in Frederick yesterday (Gunrunners). Beautiful gun. Smooth action. Even with a Leupold optic, it was well balanced and not hefty in the least. Did wonder what 30-06 might feel on the shoulder from a lightweight rifle, but less of an issue for a hunting vs range gun.

I did an initial sight in at the indoor range with it. The rifle is 6.2lbs out of the box, something like 7.5 now. I fired about 55rds of Remington soft point hunting ammo. Blue box with the deer on it. It was DEFINITELY more recoil than my Garand of course because of being a bolt action and so light. However it was doable. Ive heard about guys adding a limbsaver and even porting the barrel but after sight in it'll mainly be a one shot deal hunting so it wont bear you up. I DO plan to play with it at 500 yards just for fun here and there. But I gotta say this rifle is a gem. SUPER smooth bolt, accurate as all hell and thank God, light as a feather. We will be in a GMU that varies between 6,500-treeline so I NEED lightweight. Love this rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I did an initial sight in at the indoor range with it. The rifle is 6.2lbs out of the box, something like 7.5 now. I fired about 55rds of Remington soft point hunting ammo. Blue box with the deer on it. It was DEFINITELY more recoil than my Garand of course because of being a bolt action and so light. However it was doable. Ive heard about guys adding a limbsaver and even porting the barrel but after sight in it'll mainly be a one shot deal hunting so it wont bear you up. I DO plan to play with it at 500 yards just for fun here and there. But I gotta say this rifle is a gem. SUPER smooth bolt, accurate as all hell and thank God, light as a feather. We will be in a GMU that varies between 6,500-treeline so I NEED lightweight. Love this rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got a sweet rifle there. I will say having owned 2 T3's 300wm and 338wm. The 338 is the smoothest and most comfortable bolt gun I have ever shot. It has some kick to it but its a smooth kick that doesn't tear you up. IMO you can't go wrong with any model Tikka for the money!:thumbsup:

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I'm planning to build a very precise .308 and realized I can change barrels in the MRAD. For $2k would you get the swappable .308 barrel or just start from scratch? I kind of like the idea of switching barrels since I can stick with the same scope setup. I've never shot an MRAD in .308 but I'd hope it would be pretty accurate.

Here is the .338 in its current form:

Last edited:

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Mine. A JAE-700 chassis, Timney match trigger, 20MOA rail, Harris bipod, AICS magazine well, Weaver glass. This is a heavy beast. Intended for 600-1000 yard shooting. Just starting to get dialed in.

Matt

Attachments

• 100_1387.jpg
      100_1387.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 495

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I'm planning to build a very precise .308 and realized I can change barrels in the MRAD. For $2k would you get the swappable .308 barrel or just start from scratch? I kind of like the idea of switching barrels since I can stick with the same scope setup. I've never shot an MRAD in .308 but I'd hope it would be pretty accurate.

Here is the .338 in its current form:

That thing is nasty. Love it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    HS Precision 6.5 Creedmore Lefty

Just got it and need to zero it and get dope. Coming from a .308 hopefully this will give me a little more cushion in wind reading as that definitely isn't my strong point.

Attachments

• hs6.5cm.jpg
      hs6.5cm.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 457

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    I'm wondering if that EGW base was the reason that Viper HS fought me so much - ran out of elevation adjustment, couldn't zero for poa/poi at 100.

I just ran into the same problem today with my EGW 20 moa base . Still 4.5" high at 100 yds and out of adjustment with a Vortex Viper HS . Not sure what my options are to fix this ? I'm using the lowest rings that will fit .....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I just ran into the same problem today with my EGW 20 moa base . Still 4.5" high at 100 yds and out of adjustment with a Vortex Viper HS . Not sure what my options are to fix this ? I'm using the lowest rings that will fit .....

Honestly, after sending mine in to be checked over by Vortex - who said there was no issue with it, I just sold off that scope and plan on getting a different optic when funds allow it.

Went thru numerous base/ring combos and couldn't get a POA/POI zero at 100 yards. Tossed on a back-up cheapo scope, zeroed in less than 5 rounds with PLENTY of adjustment left over.

You could probably mix ring heights and get it zeroed, I didn't try that myself, but that thought JUST came to me - low ring up front, high ring on back - it might be enough. Just a thought.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Check your scope travel. Run the elevation all the way one way and count the clicks to the other end of travel. A Viper HS 4-16x44 should have 50 MOA of travel.

A 20 MOA base should require 20 MOA of travel to zero. So if the scope has 50 MOA total travel, that is +/-25 MOA, so you are close to the end of the travel.

So if the base has some cant to it, or the receiver is not flat, you could run out of travel. But 4" at 100 yards is 4 MOA, so you are talking about 29MOA off center.

Low ring in front, high ring in the back will make this WORSE. As you are adding cant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom