• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Thanks! Was just browsing through some houses in PA, AMAZING what I can get there for the cost of the townhouse I live in. :rolleyes:

When you look at those properties, also take a look at Property and SCHOOL taxes. With school taxes in many PA locations as high as they are, no wonder housing prices are somewhat depressed.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Is WV really an easy commute to DC? Looks like its a 90+ minute train ride from Harper's Ferry to Union Station, plus at least 10 minutes at each end. Anybody here do this every day?

for the last ten years I've been taking a train right around 2 hours with a 20 minute car ride . The train ride is nap time .

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    This is the first I heard of Smigiel losing, and it sucks. However, I can see how this could have happened. While he was great on the 2nd Amendment, and I mean GREAT, I have no idea what he was like on other issues.

As I was reading the OP, I thought to myself, they took the DINO tactic and did it way better than we did. Jesus, I just hope people don't think that this is what will happen to them when they stick up for the 2nd Amendment, but believe that this had to do with Smigiel's positions on other issues.

Regardless, this is just one more dagger in my heart when it comes to the 2nd Amendment in Maryland. All our eggs are pretty much in the federal court system at this point, or in moving to another state. Nancy Jacobs retires. Smigiel loses the primary. Can we bail water fast enough, or is it time to abandon ship?

We have a few promising new Delegates that are running and won in the primary.

Grammer (R) in 6 - http://www.mdshooters.com/member.php?u=27666
    Walters (R) in 32 - http://www.waltersfor32.com
    Robinson (R) in 42 - http://www.timrobinsonforsenate.com/

I'm no political analyst or expert of any kind, so I won't pretend to diagnose why Mike's constituents didn't feel he was their best choice this election cycle.

I do know the firearms community has lost a dedicated and ferocious fighter for our rights. The delegate and his staff went the extra mile for us in so many ways. We owe him, at the very least, a debt of gratitude for standing alongside us.

:thumbsup:

With re-districting didn't he also loose 1/2 of the people in Cecil County that could have voted for hi, but are now in 35a or b????

Yes, D36 lost a bunch of Cecil County. It also gained a bunch in Caroline County, where he did not do well.
    Results: http://results.elections.maryland.gov/elections/results_data/index.html
    Maps you can look @ to roughly compare the district line changes - see legislative districts: http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/map/html/map.html

Last edited:

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    We have a few new promising Delegates that are running and won in the primary.

Grammer (R) in 6 - http://www.mdshooters.com/member.php?u=27666
    Walters (R) in 32 - http://www.waltersfor32.com
    Robinson (R) in 42 - http://www.timrobinsonforsenate.com/

:thumbsup:

Yes, D36 lost a bunch of Cecil County. It also gained a bunch in Caroline County, where he did not do well.
    Results: http://results.elections.maryland.gov/elections/results_data/index.html
    Maps you can look @ to roughly compare the district line changes - see legislative districts: http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/map/html/map.html

Pat Young in 44B is another one to keep an eye on. The primary results should be in on Monday. He is only separated by about 30 votes at this point and they are still counting absentee ballots.

I know his younger brother and talking to him it was pretty apparent that he's DINO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Pat Young in 44B is another one to keep an eye on. The primary results should be in on Monday. He is only separated by about 30 votes at this point and they are still counting absentee ballots.

I know his younger brother and talking to him it was pretty apparent that he's DINO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Updated in the research thread - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147366

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I want to share some insider information about the defeat of Maryland's top protector of Second Amendment Rights. Smigiel had the reputation for being a pit bull when it came to protecting the Liberties of Maryland citizens and it forced many RINOs to go on record about controversial issues that they would rather not touch. In politics, politicians prefer not to have to take a stance on controversial issues because they live in fear of losing a vote from either side on issues. Because Smigiel introduced bills that forced politicians to take a side, he was hated by the establishment "Democrat Lite" Republicans and they plotted against him.

Here in Cecil County, a group known as "The Cecil County Patriots" worked tirelessly to smear Smigiel. The Cecil County "Patriots" are anything but patriots. They use the TEA party name as cover to draw in good people and use them to do the establishment's bidding. They are in fact, nothing more than attack dogs for local political machine that runs Cecil County politics.

Enter Alan McCarthy - a Cecil County Councilman that introduced a bill to impose shooting restrictions last year. The inside word is that McCarthy was approached by the establishment (I'm hearing Andy Harris but I have no proof) to run against Smigiel in order to siphon off enough of the Cecil County vote to hand Smigiel a defeat. McCarthy was successful in doing this and those of us that value our gun rights will suffer for it.

Alan McCarthy was supported by the Cecil County Patriots and they were listed as his largest campaign contributors when he ran for Cecil County Council. Recently, leadership for the Cecil County Patriots have publicly posted comments that back up my claims.

Ron Lobos - a former Cecil County Patriots leader posted this on a local blog : "I would like to recognize Alan McCarthy for his biggest accomplishment in running to 36th District House of Delegates. What many people will fail to recognize is that if Alan had not run, Smigiel may well have garnished enough votes to win in the primaries and we would have been stuck with him for possibly 4 more years as our representative in Annapolis. Dr. McCarthy may not have won his primary race, but the citizens of Cecil County won. Thanks again to Dr. McCarthy for all his hard work."

Donna Caudell - a current Cecil County Patriots leader had this to say : " Smigiel has OVERWHELMINGLY lost the last 2 elections that he ran in Cecil County. There were several things done locally that were NOT pro-liberty that the people of Cecil County were not very happy with. The Cecil County Patriots have a long standing reputation of being credible and telling the truth in Cecil County. That has shown in election results. Cecil County has made a good choice and will send another strong conservative to represent us."

Jackie Gregory - a current Cecil County Patriots leader followed up by saying " Smigiel has been very unpopular in Cecil County for a long time. His fan base is in other counties where the people don't have to deal with him on a day to day basis and do not know him. He is a typical politician in every sense of the word. He has promoted several things locally that are anything but conservative. I agree that Smigiel knows how to give good speeches in Annapolis. However, there is much more to being a representative than that. And when you continually screw the people who you are supposed to be looking out for for your own personal benefit, it doesn't help your credibility. The people of Cecil County did the right thing, and at the end of the day, it is up to us to select someone whom we can trust to represent us. For those in other counties who would like to second guess the local voters, feel free to convince Smigiel to move to your district and run for office there. You will quickly learn first hand what I'm talking about."

Folks, this is why we are losing in Maryland. Notice the lack of facts from these people? One look at Smigiel's record of introducing bills that other politicians didn't have the guts to introduce (repeal Common Core, repeal speed cameras, repeal SB281, repeal Plan Maryland and others) shows that he was one of, if not THE BEST bill champion that the people of Maryland had.

We lost a good one, and not because the Democrats took him out. Alan McCarthy and The Cecil County "Patriots" did the dirty work. Remember this when Annapolis steam rolls our liberties in the next General Assembly because we are lacking true conservatives to fight for us.

If you are as outraged as I am, please contact the Cecil County Patriots and Alan McCarthy (amccarthy@ccgov.org) and let them know how you feel about the damage they have done to the fight to preserve our 2A rights.

No offense, but your post contained nothing of value and even contradicted itself at the end (see bolded text).

I see no "facts" other than saying he introduced bills. Yes, yes, he did introduce bills. Good job.

I see no "insider information" in this entire post, unless you include your "I heard..." line.

I understand you people may be upset, but lets be honest here. We make up a very small portion of voters, and voters didn't show up to vote. It backfired, and Smiegel lost.

Instead of sounding like a bunch of cry babies that had their favorite toy broken and blaming everyone else as to why he lost, why not try and educate other voters as to why we should vote for a particular person. Why not bring up issues OTHER than the 2A because, while important to some of us, isn't as important to everyone.

Full disclosure, I like Mike. I agreed with his votes on HB 295 (minimum wage increase), SB 364 (reduced penalty for marijuana), SB 170 (2014-2015 budget), HB 1168 (prohibiting construction of wind power station), among others.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    No offense, but your post contained nothing of value and even contradicted itself at the end (see bolded text).

I see no "facts" other than saying he introduced bills. Yes, yes, he did introduce bills. Good job.

I see no "insider information" in this entire post, unless you include your "I heard..." line.

I understand you people may be upset, but lets be honest here. We make up a very small portion of voters, and voters didn't show up to vote. It backfired, and Smiegel lost.

Instead of sounding like a bunch of cry babies that had their favorite toy broken and blaming everyone else as to why he lost, why not try and educate other voters as to why we should vote for a particular person. Why not bring up issues OTHER than the 2A because, while important to some of us, isn't as important to everyone.

Full disclosure, I like Mike. I agreed with his votes on HB 295 (minimum wage increase), SB 364 (reduced penalty for marijuana), SB 170 (2014-2015 budget), HB 1168 (prohibiting construction of wind power station), among others.

Holy poo Batman, you mean to tell me that the 2nd Amendment isn't the ONLY reason you vote and there are other issues that are important to you too? Say it ain't so Batman.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I see you caught it too. I was hoping he was taking the train from Cecil County (or at least driving to the nearest station to Cecil County) and not catching the train in West Virginia, because if he lives in West Virginia he sure has some explaining to do.

I don't think that's what Andi was thinking about. I could be wrong though. :D

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I'm guessing that Andi was thinking that Frogman is on here talking about Mike and Frogman does not even live in Cecil County, isn't a constituent of Mike's, shouldn't be talking about Mike if he does not live in Mike's jurisdiction, etc.

What do you think Andi is thinking?

Exactly the same thing as you!! Great minds think alike!

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I see you caught it too. I was hoping he was taking the train from Cecil County (or at least driving to the nearest station to Cecil County) and not catching the train in West Virginia, because if he lives in West Virginia he sure has some explaining to do.

I'm guessing that Andi was thinking that Frogman is on here talking about Mike and Frogman does not even live in Cecil County, isn't a constituent of Mike's, shouldn't be talking about Mike if he does not live in Mike's jurisdiction, etc.

I do live in Cecil but if I didn't what difference would it make ? Most people complaining about Mike's loss don't live in his district.

Exactly the same thing as you!! Great minds think alike!

To finish that sentence (not saying it applies to either of you)

Idiots seldom differ :D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I do live in Cecil but if I didn't what difference would it make ? Most people complaining about Mike's loss don't live in his district.

To finish that sentence (not saying it applies to either of you)

Idiots seldom differ :D

If you are living in West Virginia and complaining about Maryland politics, it would be akin to living in Europe and complaining about US domestic politics. Maryland politics would most likely not affect you in West Virginia. Sort of like sticking your nose where it does not belong (a/k/a how most liberals behave, but not calling you one, just like you didn't call me a moron, directly that is).

Most people complaining about Mike's loss do live in Maryland, and SB281 affects them greatly. Then again, I guess it would have an affect on those living in West Virginia because they would get more people coming over there to buy mags and/or more 2nd Amendment businesses moving to West Virginia and/or more businesses/people in general moving to West Virginia. Might be good for West Virginia for the liberals to completely take over this place and drive the remaining businesses out of Maryland.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

He still doesn't live in District 36, I believe Perryville is District 35A, and is therefore technically, not a constituent of Mike. That minor issue has never prevented Mike from doing what he can for any resident of Cecil county.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just because he takes the train out of Perryville doesn't mean he lives in Perryville.

Someone comment on the utter lack of ANY type of campaign. If we want to really point fingers as to why he lost I'd start with the fact that the average voter likely didn't even know he was running. It's almost like he didn't want to win.....

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    He still doesn't live in District 36, I believe Perryville is District 35A, and is therefore technically, not a constituent of Mike. That minor issue has never prevented Mike from doing what he can for any resident of Cecil county.

Except, evidently, making sure certain people can stand on a certain piece of grass.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    for the last ten years I've been taking a train right around 2 hours with a 20 minute car ride . The train ride is nap time .

Read 20 minute drive to Perryville .

Except, evidently, making sure certain people can stand on a certain piece of grass.

Yep but he is/was such a defender of the constitution that he runs away when it needs to be defended

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom