• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Smith Mountain lake.... < sigh >

Jobs???

I guess it all depends on your skill set and what you want/are able to do. Me I am retiring so my job is going to be fish, golf, shoot, dick around the house and repeat.:)

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Okay, I just can't take any more of that.

They might have learned ...

... If he would have BEEN

... bills might have passed...

Those phrases are contracted as:

They might've learned ...

... If he would've BEEN

... bills might've passed...

Do you see how that works? That form is called a contraction..

The apostrophe represents one or more letters which have been left out.

In these cases, the first two letters of "have" are dropped to more accurately reflect the way the phrase is normally spoken in informal speech.

When you see a contraction, ask yourself, "What letters have been dropped? What is the uncontracted form?"

This will help you avoid the common confusion between "your" and "you're".

The second is of course a contraction of " you are".

I can't ("can not") understand why so many seemingly educated people make that mistake. I've ("I have") become convinced that contractions are no longer taught in the elementary schools. I specifically remember learning this in the first grade.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/contractions.htm

Edit to add:

I tried to read this:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3267892&postcount=45

It gave me a headache and left me frustrated and confused. The writer failed to achieve his goal of communicating with me and convincing me.

Frogman, I really don't ("do not") like to be a Grammar Nazi or some fussy old English Composition critic, but you're ("you are") never going to reach your potential to persuade anyone if you can't be bothered to improve your ability to express yourself. At the very least, read over everything you write and give it a quick proofreading.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: This x 1000, on every mdshooters thread.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    It will be all the other stuff that drives me out. I'm blessed in that I can get a job pretty much anywhere. Particularly in more rural areas of the Country where I would prefer to live. I can make more money in a region where the cost of living is significantly cheaper, people are nicer, Rights are respected......wait, why the hell haven't I moved yet? :sad20:

Sadly my job pretty much exists here and nowhere else, some roughly similar elsewhere but without those things that make me love my job. That's not as big an issue now, I can semi-retire and work part time just about anywhere else.

What is keeping us here are our parents. They are into their mid-late 70's and having health issues. We live within 5 miles of both sets of parents. We can't leave the general area until they are gone (which will hopefully be a while). We can live in PA an still help out. Once they are gone, I'm moving west. Idaho, Montana etc.

You might want to rethink those, it snowed in June in MT.....:innocent0

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I do not want to go anywhere cold, and I don't want to go back to Texas. Too hot, too dry, too many relatives there. North Carolina, maybe, or Virginia.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I do not want to go anywhere cold, and I don't want to go back to Texas. Too hot, too dry, too many relatives there. North Carolina, maybe, or Virginia.

lol - cold would be better than Maryland unless it is Siberia. Hot would be better than Maryland unless it is hell. Never mind, Maryland is hell. Personally, the main interest I have in climate if/when we move is political climate. Next, is what the hunting situation is like.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    My major requirements:

1) 3 hours from the beach
    2) good waterfowl hunting
    3) accessible airport
    4) lower taxes
    5) job opportunities
    6) cheaper cost of living.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What is keeping us here are our parents. They are into their mid-late 70's and having health issues. We live within 5 miles of both sets of parents. We can't leave the general area until they are gone (which will hopefully be a while). We can live in PA an still help out. Once they are gone, I'm moving west. Idaho, Montana etc.

I'll leave MD once you do. I'll stalk you so hard.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    My major requirements:

1) 3 hours from the beach
    2) good waterfowl hunting
    3) accessible airport
    4) lower taxes
    5) job opportunities
    6) cheaper cost of living.

1 lake or ocean?
    2 WV
    3 3 within a easy commute of WV
    4 WV
    5 DC easy commute
    6 WV

Seems West Virginia fits your criteria

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The problem was Mike could not win his own county, in two consecutive elections. He was very popular state-wide amoung republicans and 2A activists, but not well liked by the county he was supposedly elected to represent. People can bring up all the political tricks, and McCarthy, and Ghrist's strategy, but there is one simple fact Mike cannot run from: Had he won his own county, he would have been re-elected. Simple as that. His own constituents voted him out. Clearly he was no doing what he needed to in his own backyard.

/thread.

He's been a slacker locally, I saw exactly ZERO campaign signs, ZERO other advertising or platform claims. Very much like Sutton he's viewed as lazy, obese and lazy.

He lost, due to a lazy campaign.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I'm no political analyst or expert of any kind, so I won't pretend to diagnose why Mike's constituents didn't feel he was their best choice this election cycle.

I do know the firearms community has lost a dedicated and ferocious fighter for our rights. The delegate and his staff went the extra mile for us in so many ways. We owe him, at the very least, a debt of gratitude for standing alongside us.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    It might take people more than Stalin or Hitler to wake up and think twice.

Stalin ruled for 30 years, ended only by his natural passing, and even recently he has been rehabilitated among Soviet, uh, er, Russian society:

"Results of a controversial poll taken in 2006 stated that over 35% of Russians would vote for Stalin if he were still alive.[313][314] Fewer than a third of all Russians regarded Stalin as a "murderous tyrant";[8] however, a Russian court in 2009, ruling on a suit by Stalin's grandson, Yevgeny Dzhugashvili, against the newspaper, Novaya Gazeta, ruled that referring to Stalin as a "bloodthirsty cannibal" was not libel.[315] In a July 2007 poll, 54% of the Russian youth agreed that Stalin did more good than bad while 46% (of them) disagreed that Stalin was a "cruel tyrant". Half of the respondents, aged from 16 to 19, agreed Stalin was a wise leader.[9]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin#Domestic_support

Hitler ruled for 12 years, ended only by massive outside force; not from within, despite some storied, failed attempts.

It's amazing what frogs, er, I mean people, can become conditioned to. The secret is to start the cooking water over a low flame and turn it up slowly.

It's sad that they either don't know their own history or they don't care if they do know it. 10 of millions of people killed by Stalin and his policies (directly or starvation) and these loons think he's "not that bad."

Okay, I just can't take any more of that.

They might have learned ...

... If he would have BEEN

... bills might have passed...

Those phrases are contracted as:

They might've learned ...

... If he would've BEEN

... bills might've passed...

Do you see how that works? That form is called a contraction..

The apostrophe represents one or more letters which have been left out.

In these cases, the first two letters of "have" are dropped to more accurately reflect the way the phrase is normally spoken in informal speech.

When you see a contraction, ask yourself, "What letters have been dropped? What is the uncontracted form?"

This will help you avoid the common confusion between "your" and "you're".

The second is of course a contraction of " you are".

I can't ("can not") understand why so many seemingly educated people make that mistake. I've ("I have") become convinced that contractions are no longer taught in the elementary schools. I specifically remember learning this in the first grade.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/contractions.htm

Edit to add:

I tried to read this:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3267892&postcount=45

It gave me a headache and left me frustrated and confused. The writer failed to achieve his goal of communicating with me and convincing me.

Frogman, I really don't ("do not") like to be a Grammar Nazi or some fussy old English Composition critic, but you're ("you are") never going to reach your potential to persuade anyone if you can't be bothered to improve your ability to express yourself. At the very least, read over everything you write and give it a quick proofreading.

Thank you! Similar - could care less vs couldn't care less. One means the opposite of what the person actually is trying to say. I'll leave it to the genpop as homework to figure out which is which. ;)

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    With re-districting didn't he also loose 1/2 of the people in Cecil County that could have voted for hi, but are now in 35a or b????

and by that theory more people to vote against him .

I just read his FB page he didn't mention what others here have said that he had no campaign here , no instead he blames it on Harris and dirty politics . Mike never apologized for the dirty politics he played when he ran for Judge oh the irony :tdown:

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    1 lake or ocean?
    2 WV
    3 3 within a easy commute of WV
    4 WV
    5 DC easy commute
    6 WV

Seems West Virginia fits your criteria

Is WV really an easy commute to DC? Looks like its a 90+ minute train ride from Harper's Ferry to Union Station, plus at least 10 minutes at each end. Anybody here do this every day?

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Is WV really an easy commute to DC? Looks like its a 90+ minute train ride from Harper's Ferry to Union Station, plus at least 10 minutes at each end. Anybody here do this every day?

I never have but a friend of mine use to do it. He said taking the train in from WV was quicker than his old commute by car from Columbia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom