• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    That is doable for higher profile elections. But nobody really pays attention to state senators/delegates. At least in my area (D-15) there doesn't seem to be anything for the MD legislature candidates until the latter half of june right before the primary. Not sure what plans the candidates have after that, but it leave me concerned.
    If you are in 15, then you should be getting busy. First switch to DINO. Talk with the republican candidates (if you can find them), tell them you are not going to support them in the primary because you are working to upset to applecart in the democrat primary. Then go volunteer for the three delegate candidates running who are not Dumais. I think I read they are running as a slate. Start recruiting more DINOs. If you know others who are republican, get them to switch. Bring in as many as you can, get them to bring in more. This is going to take work and time, you will need help.
    We're doomed in MoCo. There is NOBODY running against any of the Democratic incumbant's.At least as far as I can tell.
    What district in MoCo? It looks like there are a lot of democrat challengers in many districts in MoCo. Plenty of DINO work to be done.
    I know that districts 15 and 16 are MoCo, and there are a bunch of candidates running in those - http://electionsmaryland.com/elections/2014/primary_candidates/index.html

Will those candidates be better than the incumbents? That is TBD...

They don't need to be, they only need to be different and inexperienced.

Heard on the radio yesterday (Pat McDonough was sitting in for Tom Marr 680, he may be a payne but it was interesting) talking about how poorly attended the democrat primaries are in the state, mentioning how school will only be out for about a week before the 24th, how they are either on vacation or thinking about the summer fun etc, not elections. They don't expect large turnouts. We don't need large numbers to cause chaos.

Continuing to be republican now in these districts makes no sense. Switch for the primary. You don't even need to talk about guns, there are enough taxes and corruption from this bunch you will have very fertile ground.:)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Is the plan to coordinate in each district, so we can select one candidate, to rally behind, to knock the incumbents out of the race?

Otherwise our votes may get spread thin across multiple candidates and the incumbent will still win...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

There are several district-specific threads in the regional folders for more detailed coordination, but I think folks have forgotten about them.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yeah, I need to get back into those threads and see what can be linked in to this thread. Adding to my to-do list :)

Um, that seems like a pretty obvious yes.

For D15, yes - it would be tough to find a candidate more anti-2A than Dumais. Still, I would like to see what the candidates have to say on the topic

As was previously mentioned, most people generally are motivated to go to the polls to vote for one or two people running. They have no real plan for how they plan to vote the remainder of the ballot or can be swayed, since they may not have done extensive homework on all of the candidates on the ballot. For example, they get to their assigned voting location with the gubernatorial candidate in mind.. Then they face the voting machine and start voting, then name recognition kicks in for the other candidates. This is especially true in primaries, when there are no D's or R's next to the names, since they are only voting within their party. Believe it or not, in relatively obscure races, and no name recognition, alphabetical listing wins - in other words, they will pick the first 3 in a list of 10 to move through the ballot. People do not know they are not required to make a selection in every category to complete a ballot. Some people are undecided on the entire ticket or most of it until they get to the ballot/voting location.

How do I know? I have been an election judge for several election cycles and will be again this year.

Sometimes people receive a sample ballot in the mail with the boxes checked for them based on what one faction recommends - they simply bring that in and follow the sample checks.

The Women's Voting League puts out a publication that is placed on tables inside the polling places that has information for folks to decide while they wait in line. This lists all of the candidates and brief summaries of them.

One of the most effective methods to affect an election is to get a ground game on for election day. Man the polling places with people and information, and advocate for their candidate(s) of choice. There are strict boundaries for this practice, for example you must be outside the polling place beyond a specific distance (will double check for MD) but it works. Engage people as they are approaching the polling place, makes a difference. Tell a candidate you choose that you would like to support them in this way and they will provide you with brochures, etc. to assist in this activity as well as be thrilled that you support them this way. More later.

I cannot participate in the actual activity (due to my role in the election), but am willing to assist in getting this organized. It's basically an "adopt a polling place" approach.

Anyone here who has said they want to take out the incumbent that voted for FSA 2013, should plan to get involved and take primary day off to partake in this drive. We can do this.

Thanks for the info! Good idea on the election day poll stuff

If you are in 15, then you should be getting busy. First switch to DINO. Talk with the republican candidates (if you can find them), tell them you are not going to support them in the primary because you are working to upset to applecart in the democrat primary. Then go volunteer for the three delegate candidates running who are not Dumais. I think I read they are running as a slate. Start recruiting more DINOs. If you know others who are republican, get them to switch. Bring in as many as you can, get them to bring in more. This is going to take work and time, you will need help.

What district in MoCo? It looks like there are a lot of democrat challengers in many districts in MoCo. Plenty of DINO work to be done.

They don't need to be, they only need to be different and inexperienced.

Heard on the radio yesterday (Pat McDonough was sitting in for Tom Marr 680, he may be a payne but it was interesting) talking about how poorly attended the democrat primaries are in the state, mentioning how school will only be out for about a week before the 24th, how they are either on vacation or thinking about the summer fun etc, not elections. They don't expect large turnouts. We don't need large numbers to cause chaos.

Continuing to be republican now in these districts makes no sense. Switch for the primary. You don't even need to talk about guns, there are enough taxes and corruption from this bunch you will have very fertile ground.:)

Fair enough. Still, I would like to see what they have to say for themselves

Crocman

Local Warlord
    Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland Escapee
    Right. My first priority is to nail down the correct support in my district. However, I'm a believer in transparency. I plan to be active and outspoken so that when the "unthinkable" happens to some incumbent who thinks himself untouchable, there won't be any way to spin the cause.

Crocman

Local Warlord
    Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland Escapee
    I do not have a plan for a final list. I have just been updating the posts as I find info, and as people post it up. There will probably be a handful of DINO districts where people can help candidates (E.G. - D15).

And yeah, there is a ton of info out there. Do you know what district you are in? Have you had time to research any of the candidates? If so, please post up what you know so that all can benefit from that information.
    If you have done some research and have a specific question, you could post it up and maybe somebody will know the answer or be able to point you in the direction of one.

Thanks! Do you mind posting up that info? I have been adding in links from the OP to what people post up. The post sizes are limited, so I can't type up a bunch of info directly in that post
    I'm in District 21 for State Senate and Delegates. Congressional 03 and Legislative 04. I'll certainly post any research I conduct.

I hope we can come up with a list of some sort. I am engaged with a lot of people in an extended social circle and most of these folks are in other districts. I'd like to be able to nudge them to consider our candidates. Let's face it, there is probably more study of candidates going on in this forum than in the rest of Maryland combined. The low information, entitlement-driven citizenry are either disinterested or so trapped by the status quo that no amount of information matters. The rest of us can only hope......

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks! Do you mind posting up that info? I have been adding in links from the OP to what people post up. The post sizes are limited, so I can't type up a bunch of info directly in that post

I'm sorry for being a little slow, but I think you're asking to me post a reply here. If you want me to post somewhere else please show me where and I'll do that.

My thoughts about him (not to be confused with his actual platform) is that he's sympathetic to some of the problems faced by Maryland gun owners and open minded about others. That said, D15 is full of very vocal gun control enthusiasts and I wouldn't expect him to take a vote that he would view as political suicide. To me, that's about as good as it's going to get in D15.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    I'm in District 21 for State Senate and Delegates. Congressional 03 and Legislative 04. I'll certainly post any research I conduct.

I hope we can come up with a list of some sort. I am engaged with a lot of people in an extended social circle and most of these folks are in other districts. I'd like to be able to nudge them to consider our candidates. Let's face it, there is probably more study of candidates going on in this forum than in the rest of Maryland combined. The low information, entitlement-driven citizenry are either disinterested or so trapped by the status quo that no amount of information matters. The rest of us can only hope......

okay, here is my take on the D21
    • just one candidate running for Senate, so nothing will change there
    • 3 (D) and 1 (R) running for House, so DINO won't help on that election. In 2010, (R) candidates lost by a significant margin - http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2010/results/Primary/gen_results_2010_1_01621.html , so I would say a (R) winning a seat in 2014 is a long shot.
    • If you are not registered (D), that would still be advisable if you want to vote for (D) candidates in the primary of the other elections. EG - vote far an AG other than Frosh, Governor other than Brown, etc... - see post 4 for basic info on candidates

As for an overall list - agreed, for us to provide some list of suggestions is probably a good thing

I'm sorry for being a little slow, but I think you're asking to me post a reply here. If you want me to post somewhere else please show me where and I'll do that.

My thoughts about him (not to be confused with his actual platform) is that he's sympathetic to some of the problems faced by Maryland gun owners and open minded about others. That said, D15 is full of very vocal gun control enthusiasts and I wouldn't expect him to take a vote that he would view as political suicide. To me, that's about as good as it's going to get in D15.

Thanks for the info! Yep, I did mean to post here; sry if that was not clear.

It seems that MoCo, PG, and Baltimore City are the furthest left in the State. Hopefully we can get a few in office that are not so extreme

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    okay, here is my take on the D21
    It seems that MoCo, PG, and Baltimore City are the furthest left in the State. Hopefully we can get a few in office that are not so extreme
    I just wanted to mention that while it's true that many leftists are proponents of gun control, it isn't universal. Certainly leftists such as Malcolm X didn't favor it.

Personally, I evaluate policies issue by issue. For example, I question some of the beliefs held by some people here, but if they aren't hurting anyone else I don't think it's my business to interfere with their actions.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Fresh back from my election judge training :)

Electioneering requirement: Must remain 100 feet from the polling entrance door. We put up signs to indicate distance on voting day. Bring a table and chair and brochures and have fun!

NEWS FLASH!!! There is at most 30% turnout expected! This is a huge opportunity for us! :)

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Fresh back from my election judge training :)

Electioneering requirement: Must remain 100 feet from the polling entrance door. We put up signs to indicate distance on voting day. Bring a table and chair and brochures and have fun!

NEWS FLASH!!! There is at most 30% turnout expected! This is a huge opportunity for us! :)

Could have sworn it was 200 feet.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Suggestions for Dino strategies for AG & GOV?
    IMHO Gansler/Frosh/Brown are the devils we know and hate but Cardin is not our friend and is not really a "weak" candidate.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    Suggestions for Dino strategies for AG & GOV?
    IMHO Gansler/Frosh/Brown are the devils we know and hate but Cardin is not our friend and is not really a "weak" candidate.

Cardin is definitely NOT our friend. Look at the bills he has sponsored/cosponsored in the last two sessions. :tdown:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Many of Carddins 'friends' are now not really his friends.

Just as a few of Marylands worst politicians have quietly stepped aside, I'm confident several others will follow.

'We' are interested now.

This next election is looking brighter, and brighter.

MLbothsides.jpg

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Hogan's latest email

Reponding to Larry's Hogan's email where he comments "Don't Leave" regarding 49% of MD'ers who would consider LEAVING the State.

Thanks for the sentiment Larry, but for the same reason that I would LEAVE The People’s Republic of Maryland is the reason I can’t afford to donate to your campaign. OWE’Malley and OWE’Bama have drained me of ALL my hope’n’change, and it seems to me that you’re not taking a hard enough stand against tax’n’spend liberal/progressive gov’mnt here in the previously “Free State”.

You’re a good man and a popular candidate, but you need to Take a STRONG stand or get out of the race.

• Repeal the Rain Tax
    • Repeal the Gas Tax
    • Repeal the Death Penalty Ban
    • Repeal the Illegal Tuition incentive
    • Repeal the Firearm Safety Act of 2013
    • Oppose the minimum wage hike

These among others noted HERE …

Blue Maryland gets more liberal [Editorial]
    2013 saw progressive politics ascendant — and a strengthening backlash

Make the progressives, welfare deadbeats, illegals, and criminals LEAVE, and NOT the honest, hard-working, tax-paying, law-abiding, life-long citizens who made this once great state an enjoyable place to live.​

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A general voting strategy to follow:

VOTE IN EVERY ELECTION. People say their vote doesn't count but actually the people who vote count for everyone who doesn't show up. If there is only a 30% turn out then each vote cast represents 3 voters so an election can be won by only 16% of the eligible voters.

If someone is running unopposed; DON'T VOTE for that office. The person with no opposition is going to win so your vote is not needed however your withheld vote will be noticed by the politicians and may encourage potential candidates to run for that office in the future. If 3,000 people vote in a precinct but the person with no opponent only gets 2,000 votes there are at least 1,000 people who don't like the candidate or what they stand for.

If you haven't been able to find out enough information about the candidates to make an informed decision about who to vote for (not uncommon in local races) then VOTE THE INCUMBENT OUT. Unless you know the person will represent your views voting against the incumbent makes it harder for them to make politics a career and if they periodically have to actually work for a living keeps them in touch with the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom