• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I've read the prosecution is going to have their closing argument today while the defense's will be tomorrow, followed by the prosecution's rebuttal. Is this normal? This seems like the prosecution gets an unfair advantage of both having their closing statement and then another shot to poke holes in the defense's statement.

That's the way it is in allcivil and criminal trials. The party with the burden of proof, in this case the state, has the right to open and close.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Based on the lack of evidence of 2nd degree murder, this case should have never gone to trial. It is such a joke that the prosecution is now trying to get the judge to allow the jury to consider 3rd degree murder, which would be linked to child abuse. Thats right, child abuse. The defense objected and the judge will rule on it later. They should not even be able to consider manslaughter. It is so obvious that they just want Zimmerman convicted of something. The defense argued that the jury should have to decide between 2nd degree or not guilty because that is what the state charged him with and that is what the state should have to prove. Since they did not prove that they just want to have as many options as they can so the jury can convict him of something....anything. It is pathetic that a man may go to jail for defending himself. If Zimmerman is convicted based on what the state presented against him it will just show how flawed our system really is..

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Q: How many prosecuting attorneys are working the Zimmerman trial?

A: One too many. The older woman in the black robe needs to go.

:o
    I could not believe how she grilled him about weather or not he would take the stand. Do judges usually speak directly to a defendant about that while basically ignoring their lawyers objections? I don't know if that was in front of the jury, but if it was that was just wrong. If the defense does not call the defendant, does that not satisfy the judge/court that he will not testify, without actually having to ask him?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I could not believe how she grilled him about weather or not he would take the stand. Do judges usually speak directly to a defendant about that while basically ignoring their lawyers objections? I don't know if that was in front of the jury, but if it was that was just wrong. If the defense does not call the defendant, does that not satisfy the judge/court that he will not testify, without actually having to ask him?

As a layman, I can understand asking him once. Asking him multiple times just reeks of judicial activism (attempting to coerce him to testify from the bench - which is why my non-lawyer backside believes West objected after the second time she asked the question).

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    As a layman, I can understand asking him once. Asking him multiple times just reeks of judicial activism (attempting to coerce him to testify from the bench - which is why my non-lawyer backside believes West objected after the second time she asked the question).
    It was almost like she was badgering him as to why he would not take the stand to defend himself.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD

IMO. She should have waited until the defense rested. Then Mr West wouldn't have objected.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009

i have never seen a murder trial where the judge questioned the defendant like that. he will get an appeal off of that alone.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    IMO. She should have waited until the defense rested. Then Mr Rest wouldn't have objected.

I can understand it happening before "rest", as that stops the direct witness time period, I would bet. It was the multiple, and forceful pressuring manner of questioning that has me asking the questions in my head. IANAL, but that was frustrating to watch/understand.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    They have to make sure he doesn't try to file an appeal for being denied a chance to speak.

I hear ya, but ...

Her repeated question should go down in history with MS Windows messages that pop-up over and over again ...

I'm surprised that she didn't make him swear on a Bible.

Attachments

• IC135515.png
      IC135515.png
      5.1 KB · Views: 157
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member