• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    The little cricket/rascal/chipmunk other type of bolt action single shot that you have to manually cock with no safety are all terrible. If you have to have super small get a Ruger Charger pistol and put a brace on it.
    You clearly haven't ever seen / handled a Savage Rascal, because that is not how they are. They are completely different class of firearm then a cricket.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Back to this !
    Does" youth" mean 4yo or 14yo ?
    We are expecting our first child later this year, so my intention is to start then as young as I can.

I have a 10/22 target and was thinking about some type of bolt action that could be operated by a young kid.

Irons would be nice but I like how the rascal has a threaded barrel. Was thinking maybe I could throw some tech sights on there.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    We are expecting our first child later this year, so my intention is to start then as young as I can.

I have a 10/22 target and was thinking about some type of bolt action that could be operated by a young kid.

Irons would be nice but I like how the rascal has a threaded barrel. Was thinking maybe I could throw some tech sights on there.
    I would start off with a Rascal.

Move up to a Ruger American Rimfire bolt.

Graduate to a 10/22.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

I started my youngins off with one of those cast reciever Stevens crack shots.
    Once they can manage the hammer on their own, next thing you know they're nearly grown and on to other stuff.
    Although I think if I had to do it again I would be looking at one of those Savage club rifles the cmp used to or may still offer.

fogman

M-1 Garand!

When my son was 8, we shot our 1st Appleseed. He noticed on the paperwork that participation in the shoot qualified you to purchase an M1 from CMP. "Dad I want an M1 Garand." Christmas was coming and he had his list in mind, torn between a dirt bike and a M1. 2 weeks before Christmas we packed up the car and left for Port Clinton at midnight. 8 am we were second in line waiting for the store to open. He went in and picked out a Service Grade 1943 Springfield M1 Garand.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    M-1 Garand!

When my son was 8, we shot our 1st Appleseed. He noticed on the paperwork that participation in the shoot qualified you to purchase an M1 from CMP. "Dad I want an M1 Garand." Christmas was coming and he had his list in mind, torn between a dirt bike and a M1. 2 weeks before Christmas we packed up the car and left for Port Clinton at midnight. 8 am we were second in line waiting for the store to open. He went in and picked out a Service Grade 1943 Springfield M1 Garand.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
    That’s an awesome story.

Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    You clearly haven't ever seen / handled a Savage Rascal, because that is not how they are. They are completely different class of firearm then a cricket.
    And it has an Accutrigger type trigger. Really good for an inexpensive youth rifle. I have one for my granddaughter. World's better than a Chipmunk IMHO.

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    I started them off with a 10/22 suppressed . I had it on a tripod until they felt comfortable than worked on there shooting stance. Was going to go with a lever action for the single shot but the overall weight of the 10 22 was less. We worked on iron sights than moved to red dot.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Bought my then 8 year old daughter the Rascal and she loves it. She is now almost 11 upgraded to a 10/22 and middle daughter is starting to show interest so the Rascal will come back out of the safe for her and then again for my 6 year old son when he is showing an interest. I like that the Rascal is single shot and no chance of a runaway magazine incident if a novice or child shooter loses control. Bought at DICK's back in the day but you would need to find one at your Local Gun Shop or bought online and shipped to your FFL.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When my son started shooting I bought him a used Winchester Model 52 C. When he was all grown up I gave him M1 Garands in both .30-06 and .308 calibers.

When his sons started shooting at a younger age I bought each of them a Rossi Matched Pair in .22/20 gauge, break open action single shot with interchangeable barrels. When they got older I bought them each Kimber 82G's 22RF Target Rifles from the CMP. I also have a couple of CMP M1 Garands put away for them.

Link to Winchester 52:

Link to Rossi Matched Pair:

Link to Kimber 82G:

Link to CMP Garands:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A CMP Garand is a good idea for a future gift to buy now.
    They wont be available forever. I wish I had started buying from the CMP before they ran out of '03 Springfields and M1 Carbines. The day is coming when there will be no more Garands or 1911's.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    They wont be available forever. I wish I had started buying from the CMP before they ran out of '03 Springfields and M1 Carbines. The day is coming when there will be no more Garands or 1911's.
    Yep they’re already out of HXP 30-06 wish I bought more. I used to shoot my Garand a whole lot more. That was great ammo for the price.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Remember shooting a Savage when I was a kid in the 60’s. NRA indoor range my dad took me to when he was stationed overseas. Can’t go wrong with a Henry either. Made in the USA with a great warranty.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yep they’re already out of HXP 30-06 wish I bought more. I used to shoot my Garand a whole lot more. That was great ammo for the price.
    Yes I wish I had bought more also. It was a great investment it has doubled or tripled in value depending on which configuration .

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    So I ended up with the Savage Rascal and it’s a really neat little gun. Worlds better than my first rifle. Matt at Archelon Defense hooked me up by ordering me one in the color I wanted. I find it amazing Bass Pro wasn’t helpful in checking the back for a green/gray one vs pink, otherwise I probably would have bought it that day. I’ll be taking it to Alejandro @Blue Customworks to engrave my sons name it.

Here’s a comparison of my first rifle given to me which sparked my interest in this sport/hobby and my sons new rifle.

Attachments

• 1C54BEEA-97C6-4BA0-88B5-764422C0125F.jpeg
      1C54BEEA-97C6-4BA0-88B5-764422C0125F.jpeg
      241.1 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom