• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Any recommendations on youth rifles? There’s a few models out there or am I better off getting something with an adjustable length of pull or 2 stock combo etc.

Just curious what the hive mind has to offer? My friends put this together as a fun little baby gift with some money so I could pick out my choice.

5F768A68-B4ED-4512-9497-AF903BD05651.jpeg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I really like to teach a novice how to use iron sights before they get into scopes and optics. So, I would go with the Henry of those 2.
    They gave me cash so I could make the decision myself. So any youth rifle is on the table.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Cz452 trainer. Not the easiest to find on the secondary market but by far the best bang for the buck if you want to teach irons first. And it's a rifle anyone will be proud of even as an adult.

If no irons required, any of the cz generations 455/457 VPT. They can grow into nicer optics over time.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Bought my daughter a Ruger American Rimfire Model 8351 (Stainless) and a Youth High Comb stock module. Mag compatability with my 10/22 Target model.

Later I got a Chiappa Little Badger and she likes that better. Probably because the size and weight is similar to the pellet gun she was used to shooting.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    For my grands a 60 year old Rem 514, shortened and refinished stock. I am not a fan of manually-cocked bolts. Also not impressed with smoothness or machining quality of current youth models.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    This is very dependent on what you want from this rifle. Is this an heirloom type piece? Is budget important? Is this something that the child will keep and use for the rest of their life? Is this the rifle that all future children of the family will learn to shoot with?

I think the most practical option for teaching kids to shoot is an AR22. Its much easier to get it to fit properly and be comfortable, compared to a traditional stock rifle.
    I also think it is best to start new shooters with a red dot. The forgiving eyebox will allow them to have quick success getting hits, even if the rifle doesn't fit great. Getting good hits on target is fun and if they aren't having fun, they will get bored with shooting. Once they enjoy shooting, they will have time to learn iron sights.

If you want a more traditional rifle the CZ457 would be my choice. Get a youth model, one with the shortest LOP available. They are fine rifles and there are plenty of aftermarket options so it can easily grow with the kid with a stock or barrel change.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here are three more to add to a long list of great choices.

Someone already said Ruger 10/22. This compact model that allows the length of pull and comb height to be changed as the child gets older. Big advantage of 10/22's is they are highly customizable.

I also like the Browning BL-22 Midas model which is made for small shooters. It is VERY well made but probably twice the price of the Ruger. You can get peep sights for it which might be easier for a youngster to learn with. This would be a rifle I think you could hand down to a grandchild.

Also, someone mentioned an AR22. This would be an awesome way for a shooter to quickly learn the functionality of an AR. I like the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22.

I would have been thrilled as a 10 year old boy if someone had bought me any of the above rifles!!

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    10/22 would be my choice. different models, finishing, etc. The thing is universal. parts for customization and tweaking, and repairs if ever needed. You just can’t go wrong…

meets your iron sight requirement.

unless some politician goes crazy. already has. Iirc, the standard flush mount mags are 10’s

should last forever

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    What age we talking?

I have a bunch if you want to check them out and compare.

Cricket
    Rascal
    3 Ruger American Rimfires (compacts)
    Christensen Arms Ranger
    2 TCR-22s (a cloned / better 10/22)

The savage rascal is a much nicer single shot compared to the cricket. Has a nice feedramp for loading, scope base, huge bolt handle, and threaded. It is heavier however.

Ruger American bolt guns are great in teaching the value of each gun. All mine are 16”, threaded. Take 10/22 mags.

The Thompson Center 10/22 is a souped up Ruger 10/22 that stands out from an actual Ruger. Integrated optic rail into the receiver, threaded 16” barrel, extended bolt, extended mag release, last round bolt hold open with TCR mags, uses any 10/22 mag and 99% of Ruger parts interchange. Comes standard with fiber front and peep rear site.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the Christensen Arms Ranger for a youth unless you just have a ton of money ($800+ rifle). They are extremely light and an amazing rifle though. Basically a super nice Ruger American bolt.

RangerWillrett

Jun 20, 2011
    Mineral Co WV
    The little cricket/rascal/chipmunk other type of bolt action single shot that you have to manually cock with no safety are all terrible. If you have to have super small get a Ruger Charger pistol and put a brace on it.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I bought my grandsons the Rossi kids combos. You can get the shotgun barrels in like 410 or 20 gauge and then other barrel is a rifle caliber like 22LR, 22Mag, 243 etc.. Very reasonable and solid composite stock. Also ready to mount scope if you want as scope rail comes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom