• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Yes this sucks. But, it's not news. It's common knowledge. You guys must have the pleasure of not living in the stupidest county in one of the stupidest states in the union. Count yourselves lucky.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    The contractor is responsible for quality control, and the county government agents were responsible to ensure quality assurance through monitoring the concrete breaks, and engineer of record reports on the breaks and site visits. Apparently the county was asleep at the wheel and now that the project is completed the county finally figured out the massive concrete structure does not meet design requirements. As a result Montgomery County now has a structure at the Silver Spring Metro Station that cannot be used. This is a total waste of taxpayer funds. The leader of this fiasco is Ike Leggett. Make sure to vote him out in 2014 as well.

skibernie

Feb 22, 2008
    Silver Spring,MD
    My office overlooks the whole job site and I have seen everything from the demolition blasts to the now (almost?) completed structure.

I am not a structural engineer, but the amount of rebar and concrete in that thing is absolutely amazing and I would be surprised if it was actually structurally unsound. It may not be to specs, but I don't think it is coming down anytime soon.

The Hoover Dam was built without rebar and it is still standing (I know that the cooling pipes inserted to cool the massive amounts of concrete act as a primitive rebar, but that is nothing like what I saw go into this structure).

If you ask me the County overspent and are trying to recoup some costs.

Again, not an engineer.

Last edited:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you ask me the County overspent
    Yup.
    Just look at the overbuilding of the new Fire/Ems station on Georgia and Arcola.
    It's so wasteful its disgusting.
    And they are tearing up perfectly good curbs and sidewalks everywhere
    and pouring concrete on the coldest and rainiest days.
    What a nightmare.

skibernie

Feb 22, 2008
    Silver Spring,MD
    Yup.
    Just look at the overbuilding of the new Fire/Ems station on Georgia and Arcola.
    It's so wasteful its disgusting.
    And they are tearing up perfectly good curbs and sidewalks everywhere
    and pouring concrete on the coldest and rainiest days.
    What a nightmare.

I know - they have an entirely vacant floor and the other floors are not even close to being filled.

I'm sorry - We were referring to different buildings. You are talking about the new Wheaton Rescue Squad Building and I was referring to the newer Fire Station in downtown SS.

Last edited:

MS2k

Nov 5, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I know - they have an entirely vacant floor and the other floors are not even close to being filled.

I'm sorry - We were referring to different buildings. You are talking about the new Wheaton Rescue Squad Building and I was referring to the newer Fire Station in downtown SS.

They're building a new police station at 29 and New Hampshire too. :sad20:

skibernie

Feb 22, 2008
    Silver Spring,MD
    They're building a new police station at 29 and New Hampshire too. :sad20:

That one I understand - have you ever been in the District 3 HQ on Sligo - it doesn't appear to be in good shape.

Maybe they could have waited for better financial times, but they do need a new building.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Yes this sucks. But, it's not news. It's common knowledge. You guys must have the pleasure of not living in the stupidest county in one of the stupidest states in the union. Count yourselves lucky.

Well your address is Silver Spring, so YOUR one of US!!! :lol2:
    WWelcome to the lunacey that is Maryland and Montgomery County. I was born and raised here so that must make me REALLY STUPID!!!!! I feel it sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom