• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Any body put a "dog" down during this cold snap ? I hunted most of yesterday, plenty of fox tracks but no song dogs. I used my Fox Pro the first 3 stands with out any luck then the battery died even after a full charge. So on the 4th stand used my Carver mouth calls. After the 3rd calling sequence a nice Red comes charging in drooling for an easy dinner. Now as far as shooting sticks also be sure the legs are tight when you set up before you draw a bead ............................ :mad54:

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Any body put a "dog" down during this cold snap ? I hunted most of yesterday, plenty of fox tracks but no song dogs. I used my Fox Pro the first 3 stands with out any luck then the battery died even after a full charge. So on the 4th stand used my Carver mouth calls. After the 3rd calling sequence a nice Red comes charging in drooling for an easy dinner. Now as far as shooting sticks also be sure the legs are tight when you set up before you draw a bead ............................ :mad54:

Went out twice this weekend and I heard them running all up and down the mountain but couldn't get them over the the field I was in to save my life. Incredibly frustrating.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Guy I know missed one the other night in Balto county. Called it in, but he doesn't have a kill light, so he freaking missed it. He was using moonlight and was impatient about waiting for the moon to get up high enough to illuminate on the snow. I told him to get a freaking kill light mounted to his gun and try a coyote pup in distress on his FoxPro instead of the rabbit squalling he had used the other night. There's a pack of yotes back where he lives that has been there for years. He nailed one in 2010, and someone got another one in 2012, plus I tried to trap one in the 10/11 season but had no luck. I had one work my dirthole the first night, but was 1" from the pan of the trap. None ever worked my sets after that. They won't let me catch them!

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I have a Primos Alpha Dogg electronic caller and a .22-250 that's sighted in, with a pile of hand loaded Varmagedon and VMax boolits ready to go. What I don't have is some land to hunt on.

If anyone is going out hunting yotes I'd be more than happy to join you with the caller. It'll bring them in from miles away.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    i heard a report of a coyote in salisbury from a good source. just hoping i get to see it on my property when i am prepared. it was maybe half a mile from my house. Talked to dnrec and they believe they are around and kinda laughed about the fact that people kept telling them it is impossible to have them in the area

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have a Primos Alpha Dogg electronic caller and a .22-250 that's sighted in, with a pile of hand loaded Varmagedon and VMax boolits ready to go. What I don't have is some land to hunt on.

If anyone is going out hunting yotes I'd be more than happy to join you with the caller. It'll bring them in from miles away.

I may take you up on that. I'm going to take the 6 hour hunting class on Sunday then I'll be able to get my license(s).
    Last couple of weeks there have been cool shows about night hunting with lights. One guy holds the light and the other one shoots. They guy holds a big lamp and the other guy has a smaller light mounted on his rifle.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I may take you up on that. I'm going to take the 6 hour hunting class on Sunday then I'll be able to get my license(s).
    Last couple of weeks there have been cool shows about night hunting with lights. One guy holds the light and the other one shoots. They guy holds a big lamp and the other guy has a smaller light mounted on his rifle.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The guy I know was bitching that kill lights that mount to the gun cost 250.00. Do they? He already paid about that much for the FoxPro, I know that even the cheapest model they sell is 200-something. Though he always gets things from Cabelas when they have sales and he gets his club discount, but still. But hey, get the best you can afford, but get it! Missing a coyote means that that coyote will NEVER come to that particular call again. They are smart. Well he will be bitching again if he does get a coyote this time of year and it has a nice coat on it, then asks how much I charge for a mount LOL. He will bitch at what I charge for skinning and tanning! 95.00 with the feet.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The guy I know was bitching that kill lights that mount to the gun cost 250.00. Do they? He already paid about that much for the FoxPro, I know that even the cheapest model they sell is 200-something. Though he always gets things from Cabelas when they have sales and he gets his club discount, but still. But hey, get the best you can afford, but get it! Missing a coyote means that that coyote will NEVER come to that particular call again. They are smart. Well he will be bitching again if he does get a coyote this time of year and it has a nice coat on it, then asks how much I charge for a mount LOL. He will bitch at what I charge for skinning and tanning! 95.00 with the feet.

Fred Echler showed how to skin a coyote this month on his show. He even showed how the people who mount a coyote want you to prepare the coyote.

Not too hard but you just have to have a sharp knife.

I'm just going to try to use a strong (and cheaper) light and tape it to my rifle.

recon4

Mar 1, 2012
    night eyes predator lights has amazing kill lights for around 135 that mount to the scope and are spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom