• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    One of these is on my list for purchase after the holidays. Anyone who has/had one/both that would like to weigh in, I would appreciate any opinions. I handled both this weekend at GC and liked each one. The XD seems smaller, but i like the interchangeable backstraps on the M&P. I was really hoping that the XDM 3.8" was going to have a smaller grip, but i guess SA didnt want to sacrifice capacity.

Anyone know if Continental has either of these to rent?

The Gnome

Apr 21, 2008
    I have a XD9 and love it!! I just picked up two of the flush fit 13 round mags. That is a lot of fire power in a small grip. Great gun!!

Nov 18, 2009
    I shot both, dont own either yet but I'm picking up my M&P9 Wednesday from GC if that tells you anything. The XD was a great handgun just not as ergonimcally comfortable fitting in my hand.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    While the XD is a great pistol, the M&P is much more ergonomic, and rounded, it has 1/2" longer barrel, and 1/2" shorter grip that conceals well, but the little bit of added sight radius(close to 1" longer on the M&P) and velocity are nice to have in a defensive pistol. Both are plenty accurate, and reliable, but IMO the biggest drawback of the XD is the high bore axis, and tall squared off slide, making them less comfortable to conceal, and harder to shoot fast with more muzzle flip and more felt recoil. The M&P has better sights, and IMO better controls with a frame that feels a little more rigid and a smooth comfortable trigger. The XD holds 1 more round in the flush fitting mag, and 4 more in the extended mag than the M&Ps flat and finger rest 12rd mags, and the trigger feels a bit more rigid being it is steel as opposed to the M&Ps plastic. The M&Ps trigger is a little crisper with less overtravel and shorter reset, although both are kinda gritty out of the box, and both can be vastly improved for under $100. I own and shoot an XD(M), GLOCKs, M&Ps and a couple others, and have fired my share of XD compacts and subcompacts, but carry and compete with my M&Ps. In IDPA competitions, I sometimes use my M&P compact being it is my carry gun, but can hang with most others firing full size pistols without any problems, IMO it is the easiest and fastest compact pistol to shoot that I have ever fired, of course you should try them both out at the range, and judge for yourself.

donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    While the XD is a great pistol, the M&P is much more ergonomic, and rounded, it has 1/2" longer barrel, and 1/2" shorter grip that conceals well, but the little bit of added sight radius(close to 1" longer on the M&P) and velocity are nice to have in a defensive pistol. Both are plenty accurate, and reliable, but IMO the biggest drawback of the XD is the high bore axis, and tall squared off slide, making them less comfortable to conceal, and harder to shoot fast with more muzzle flip and more felt recoil. The M&P has better sights, and IMO better controls with a frame that feels a little more rigid and a smooth comfortable trigger. The XD holds 1 more round in the flush fitting mag, and 4 more in the extended mag than the M&Ps flat and finger rest 12rd mags, and the trigger feels a bit more rigid being it is steel as opposed to the M&Ps plastic. The M&Ps trigger is a little crisper with less overtravel and shorter reset, although both are kinda gritty out of the box, and both can be vastly improved for under $100. I own and shoot an XD(M), GLOCKs, M&Ps and a couple others, and have fired my share of XD compacts and subcompacts, but carry and compete with my M&Ps. In IDPA competitions, I sometimes use my M&P compact being it is my carry gun, but can hang with most others firing full size pistols without any problems, IMO it is the easiest and fastest compact pistol to shoot that I have ever fired, of course you should try them both out at the range, and judge for yourself.

Excellent, this is what i was looking for. I have an XD(m)9 that i love, my wife has a full size M&P9 JG. So i am familiar with each platform, but am undecided which compact i want. I did notice what you mentioned about the high bore/slide on the XD, it did seem to sit higher in my hand. I like the XD trigger more than the M&P trigger, but i have heard Burwell does a nice job for little money on M&Ps.

Looks like i am going to have to find some time and try them out. Hopefully a range around here has them to rent. Thanks!

TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    I have the xd40sc. It is what i cc when out of state. It fits my hand very well. Try both but personally I am a big fan of the XD line

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I have both, though in .40 SW. I think the M&P carries slightly better due to the slightly smaller extended mag, which for my hands is absolutely necessary. If you're not trying to conceal, the XD, with the extended mag has a slightly larger grip. The XD may hold an extra round or two with its' extended mag.

So I've used "slightly" 3 times. These weapons are very close.

For me, they shoot so similar that shooting is a non-issue. The M&P is my summer gun (IWB) and the XD is my winter gun (OWB with a jacket).

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Been debating about this myself for a compact 9mm. I'm an XD man owning two. XDm9 and an XD45. XD9 subcompact looks great but if we can ever ccw I believe the M&P9 compact would be easier to conceal. Keep the info coming. Fwiw the Taurus 709 slim is a consideration too for me. Waiting for more reliability reports....

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have the XD9 sub-compact, and it's almost as small as my Taurus PT-140. It's an easy gun to carry concealed. It's a little thick, but no thicker than any of the other double stacks.

What I really love about my XD9 is that it feeds even the crappiest ammo reliably and just plain goes bang every time. It's also VERY accurate. I am pleased, and I have had it for a few years and put several hundred rounds through it. I do think that a trigger job could improve the factory trigger (which isn't bad.)

Mark

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I've shot XDs and I've shot M&Ps and I prefer the M&Ps. I've never shot either in the compact form but I preferred the sights, grip and trigger on the M&P over the XD.

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    donliv - I decided on the XD SC 9 since I already had 2 other XDs. They work well for me and I've had no issues in 1000+ rounds I've cycled through each. You are welcome to try it out.

I've not shot the M&P compact but have inspected one. If it's the right fit for you it certainly is a good choice as well.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    My only complaint with the XD SC or any XD for that matter is the trigger. Being I came up shooting 1911's, the trigger always reminds me of pulling on a marshmallow, spongy and no real definition. Other than that, fantastic gun, and the one in my safe will stay there for sometime... Doubt the wife will ever sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom