• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi all,

I've got a Sig 1911 5" model in stainless. I love the thing but it has given me issues with rounds that won't seat completely in the chamber 1-2 times out of 150/200 rounds with WWB. After a slap on the back of the slide, the round will go into the chamber and shoot fine.

I sent it back to Sig and they said there were no issues with the pistol using 90 Speer Lawman 230 gr. FMJ rounds. I've put about 700 rounds through it. I explained in my note that I was using WWB, and they did a test with Speer. It sort of befuddles me that I want to shoot the lowest cost ammo in the thing and they tested it with a different ammo.

So my question is, should I keep at the issue with WWB or just change my preferred ammo to Federal or Remington UMC? or should the thing be feeding WWB all day without any issues? I'm basically starting my reliability count all over again from zero rounds...

Thanks for any advice...

Scribe556

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Pull up the SAAMI spec drawings for the .45 ACP round (or look in a reloading book) and measure your ammo to compare. Pay specific attention to the case rim and rebated area. If the rim is too wide or not properly chamfered the extractor may be putting too much pressure on it, jamming up the works.

Another issue is overall case length (OAL). I have shot a lot of WWB .45 and it was pretty dirty and had issues with extraction here and there. I doubt you're having problems with the feed ramp/throat area because your issue doesn't happen every few rounds. From what I have seen the SIG 1911s have been pretty decent out of the box. I personally built 2 1911s that are in the same style of the SIG 1911 (Caspian frames/slides with external extractors) and they run well, even with WWB.

WWB is not really considered the best quality ammo... so keep in mind when you use the cheapest ammo you may have issues in a pistol like the 1911. You can tune your 1911 to handle these rounds, to do so take it to a gunsmith familiar with this pistol.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    To supplement the info, the Sig was well-lubed prior to each shooting session of 200-300 rounds and I have stock Sig mags and Chip McCormick 8 round PowerMags too. One 10-round CMC mag as well. Experienced the issue with all mags.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a handful of WWB .45ACP 230gr ball that won't chamber because the case was over-spec - too long.

I personally wouldn't force the issue if you have a round that does that, the ones that I have where someone forced it closed, the casemouth pinched down on the round like a hell of a taper-crimp - no bueno for me, don't want to take the chance of it spiking the pressure and bad things happening.

Switch ammo, simple fix. I reload .45 now, I'll never buy factory loaded again, my rounds behave better and much more consistently than factory stuff I've shot.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have a handful of WWB .45ACP 230gr ball that won't chamber because the case was over-spec - too long.

I personally wouldn't force the issue if you have a round that does that, the ones that I have where someone forced it closed, the casemouth pinched down on the round like a hell of a taper-crimp - no bueno for me, don't want to take the chance of it spiking the pressure and bad things happening.

Switch ammo, simple fix. I reload .45 now, I'll never buy factory loaded again, my rounds behave better and much more consistently than factory stuff I've shot.

This. :thumbsup:

Try out some other ammo. Speer Lawman in bulk is good ammo and not much more than WWB.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Could it be some friction on the slide itself? Slowly ride the slide forward and see if it sticks anywhere? With no ammo of course.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think changing ammo is the easiest solution. Does it shoot your SD ammo ok? If it does, then shoot the stuff that works.

I do shoot WWB from my Dan Wesson Heritage with no issues but I would shoot whatever works. That's easier than trying to figure out the ammo issue, especially if it's just range ammo and not your SD load.

I use Federal 230g HST's for SD.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Federal HST's are my SD load also. They shoot without incident.

I'll be switching to Federal and Speer for further testing..

Thanks for the advice all!!

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Federal HST's are my SD load also. They shoot without incident.

I'll be switching to Federal and Speer for further testing..

Thanks for the advice all!!

This. I find AE and Speer to be acceptable ammo choices in all of my handguns. UMC is my least preferred brass-cased target ammo.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If you suspect its the chamber itself - which probably is not the case, you can plunk test the rounds giving you issues, if you field strip the pistol. The round should freely fall in the chamber- with the barrel out of the pistol, pointing down. Put your finger on the back of the case/round, and turn the barrel upside down - the case should freely fall out once you take your finger off -if not you may have issues with the round, IF it does not do this with all rounds.

By the way here is a SAAMI diagram for both the round, and chamber for a SAAMI spec 45ACP (down below). If you have calipers at home, you can take some of the measurements yourself on the cartridge - the chamber will be difficult to do. My observation with Winchester brass - is that it is thicker then most brass. Remington brass is thinner, and when I reload my 45 rounds, and go to the factory crimp die - the Remington brass never resizes in the crimp die - it just ends up taper crimping the bullet in place. The Winchester brass does resize, and you can feel every ripple of the bullet band on the out stroke of the press. WWB is some dirty shooting ammo, and if it is coking up the chamber, and feed ramp, and everything else in its path -that may be some of your issues as well.

Attachments

• 45ACPSAAMI.jpg
      45ACPSAAMI.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 124

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I don't buy WWB, because I hear about more troubles than good lately. I believe I read that they changed plants recently. Whether it's unionist rumor or not, I see a lot of complaints about WWB these days. Could just be because they sell a lot of ammo and there are bound to be more issues?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't buy WWB, because I hear about more troubles than good lately. I believe I read that they changed plants recently. Whether it's unionist rumor or not, I see a lot of complaints about WWB these days. Could just be because they sell a lot of ammo and there are bound to be more issues?

That's always a strong possibility.

High demand for ammo doesn't help either.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That's always a strong possibility.

High demand for ammo doesn't help either.

Every box I've gotten recently (the last 5 or so) of the 100 round pack has had mixed headstamps. I've had the standard "WIN 9MM LUGER" and some "WIN 9MM NATO" with red lacquer-sealed primers.

It's generally OK but WWB is my "Wolf". When I'm relying on Wal-Mart or the range's supply (if they sell ammo) I'll pick WWB over Wolf or aluminum-cased garbage.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Every box I've gotten recently (the last 5 or so) of the 100 round pack has had mixed headstamps. I've had the standard "WIN 9MM LUGER" and some "WIN 9MM NATO" with red lacquer-sealed primers.

It's generally OK but WWB is my "Wolf". When I'm relying on Wal-Mart or the range's supply (if they sell ammo) I'll pick WWB over Wolf or aluminum-cased garbage.

The Wolf WPA 9mm 115gr hasn't been too bad, I ran 1k thru the Hi-Power just cause I got the ammo cheap, it's still dirty, but it is accurate.

That was my break-in ammo for the HP, I need to get the 9mm dies so I can reload for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom