• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 28, 2022
    Virginia
    Or.... buy as west as you can get in Virginia before West Virginia ;)

Attachments

• Land.jpg
      Land.jpg
      165 KB · Views: 122

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Or.... buy as west as you can get in Virginia before West Virginia ;)
    Pretty! But: that beautiful spot is still effectively governed by the people densely populating the NoVa DC burbs, plus some in Richmond. There are some areas of VA that I truly love, though they are getting crazy expensive. The real concern, though, is the razor's edge politics of a state that has one foot inside the beltway. Cancels out a lot of rural beauty. WV isn't necessarily immune to that in the long (long!) run, but isn't already in a condition where the state's governing culture can lurch back and forth across the aisle every election or two.

Sep 28, 2022
    Virginia
    Pretty! But: that beautiful spot is still effectively governed by the people densely populating the NoVa DC burbs, plus some in Richmond. There are some areas of VA that I truly love, though they are getting crazy expensive. The real concern, though, is the razor's edge politics of a state that has one foot inside the beltway. Cancels out a lot of rural beauty. WV isn't necessarily immune to that in the long (long!) run, but isn't already in a condition where the state's governing culture can lurch back and forth across the aisle every election or two.
    True true... but its better then the rest of the DC Metro area... I have high hopes for us turning things back around... but we'll see...

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    For some reason, I really liked the Capon Springs area when I took an ATV out there to get it repaired a few months ago. It's only about 40 minutes from Winchester, so not too far from shopping amenities and very good medical care.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I spend a lot of time in that area. It's really nice. Little town with a few things. Close to Winchester. Not exactly mountainous, but it's definitely West Virginia.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yep, Romney and Capon Bridge areas are both often skipped over when people are looking at WV for a new place to live. They're both sizeable enough that you're not running across the border every couple of days for things like groceries or a restaurant, but not so big that you have to worry about all the crap that comes with bigger populations.

the Cacapon River is one of the unsung gems of the state (everyone loves the 'doah, Potomac, Cheat, Greenbrier, and New) with great fishing (especially in "The Trough") and lots of peaceful float-trip opportunities.
    I am starting to see more purpose-built rental properties in the Slanesville/North River Mills area over the mountain from Capon Bridge, but it's a small section and unobtrusive.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If you're a contractor or just really handy, this one is a steal. Mind you, it's in "town" at Durbin (population 240) so no acreage, but you're pretty much out in the wilderness at that point with Cheat Mountain as your own playground. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20-Maple-St-Durbin-WV-26264/2062279850_zpid/

Also, if you want something out of town with some acreage and a state forest (so hunting is A-OK) right out your back door, there's this beauty. Difficulty: Generator for power. I figure a tesla power bank and wind turbine would handle most of your needs in that area. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/656-Forest-Cabin-Rd-Huttonsville-WV-26273/337631509_zpid/

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Looking to retire? Romney, WV is calling. The hospital there can take care of most of your needs and Winchester is just 55 min away for anything requiring greater attention or frequent visits.

15ac with a well-kept 5 Bed, 3 Bath 1880s farmhouse, 2 ponds, guest house, and barn on the property. Hunt, fish, and shoot to your heart's content.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Looking to retire? Romney, WV is calling. The hospital there can take care of most of your needs and Winchester is just 55 min away for anything requiring greater attention or frequent visits.

15ac with a well-kept 5 Bed, 3 Bath 1880s farmhouse, 2 ponds, guest house, and barn on the property. Hunt, fish, and shoot to your heart's content.

If nobody burns it down for you .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Two or three weeks ago an arsonist burned down 6 houses in Hampshire Co over the course of one night. A number of them those kind of historic farmhouses. WV fire marshal is investigating but so far nothing.
    Our friends with property near Slanesville (Hampshire County, this side of Romney) have been watching quite a bit of nearby knock-down/renovation/rebuild lately. I'd hate to think that arsonist was working for a developer. He bought two adjoining lots during the early pandemic madness (one lot as yet built, but it's been perked, has a drive and well, and he's trying to lasso me into building there), and even with the interest rates, he could now flip it easy-peasey. That half-hour-ish drive to Winchester makes that area still pretty damn civilized considering.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The one at the corner of Route 50 and Smokey Hollow Road was a shame. I drove into town as it was smoldering that night. 200 year old house. But it was huge and used to be occupied by a hoarder.

Rumor is that all the houses were known to be vacant. Something is definitely up.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Rumor is that all the houses were known to be vacant. Something is definitely up.
    Usually, when this kind of thing happens, it's a firefighter committing the arson. They get hooked on the adrenaline of fighting the blaze, being a hero, and keep chasing it by setting fires in abandoned structures. It sounds VERY similar to the fires that were being set on the southern part of the DelMarVa peninsula in 2012 and 2013 by a volunteer firefighter and his would-be girlfriend as chronicled in "American Fire" which is a fantastic book if you ever get the chance to read it. They lit 70 + fires in those two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom