• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    Now, this is one that if I had the capital freed up to buy, I'd be bidding on. Who doesn't want to own their own waterfall?
    Nice!

We are looking in WV these days, but want to be near Thomas/Davis/Canaan.

Andreas

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    We are looking in WV these days, but want to be near Thomas/Davis/Canaan.

If 35-40 min to the resorts and 20min to Thomas is 'close enough', look at the Eglon Aurora Amboy area.
    If this is for an actual place to live, it has basic retail and a hospital that isn't half bad in Oakland, MD. For anything serious or better retail it's 1:20 to Morgantown.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Now, this is one that if I had the capital freed up to buy, I'd be bidding on. Who doesn't want to own their own waterfall?

*****Yea, a waterfall would be nice. Good conversation starter when trying to get Beaver, etc..

However, just glancing through the ad and looking at the pics, etc.. I got to the schools in the area - and I don't think I have *ever* seen a school ranked a "1" (out of 10!), as the high school in that area apparently is.. :shocked4:

Just HOW bad must that high school be to be ranked so poorly? Even the crappy junior high and high school (Home of da Wildcats!!) I went to in Langley Park, PGCo - an absolute cesspool of crime, gang activity, under age low teen mothers bringing their kids to daycare AT the high school, and the highest level math offered being Algebra and "Business Math" scored a "3"...

Guess if I lived there and had kids I'd be encouraging home schooling or sending the kids off to boarding school somewhere else, etc..

Remarkable how inexpensive the land and some of the surrounding land and homes on them are. There are several homes with 10+ acres going for $200k ish, with property taxes less than $1000 per year. Cheaper to live there than in MoCo for sure.. Cost of living is ridiculous around here.

bad skrool.jpg

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    *****Yea, a waterfall would be nice. Good conversation starter when trying to get Beaver, etc..

However, just glancing through the ad and looking at the pics, etc.. I got to the schools in the area - and I don't think I have *ever* seen a school ranked a "1" (out of 10!), as the high school in that area apparently is.. :shocked4:

Just HOW bad must that high school be to be ranked so poorly? Even the crappy junior high and high school (Home of da Wildcats!!) I went to in Langley Park, PGCo - an absolute cesspool of crime, gang activity, under age low teen mothers bringing their kids to daycare AT the high school, and the highest level math offered being Algebra and "Business Math" scored a "3"...

Guess if I lived there and had kids I'd be encouraging home schooling or sending the kids off to boarding school somewhere else, etc..

Remarkable how inexpensive the land and some of the surrounding land and homes on them are. There are several homes with 10+ acres going for $200k ish, with property taxes less than $1000 per year. Cheaper to live there than in MoCo for sure.. Cost of living is ridiculous around here.

View attachment 392914

GreatSchools bases their ratings on some criteria that don't really hit home in areas where white-collar jobs are few and far between. It's a great ranking system if you want your kid to go to Harvard, less so if you want them to go to WVU or Trade School, both of which are absolutely viable and good options in WV.

The rating is based on the high school's graduation rate, data about college entrance exams (SAT/ACT performance) and/or advanced course information, including enrollment in International Baccalaureate courses, dual-enrollment courses, and Advanced Placement (AP) courses and AP exam passing rates.

Also, WV schools don't tend to cheat on their kids' behalves, unlike PGCo.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If it was closer to the lake I’d be all over it for at least a walk through. Almost looks like it’s been logged at some point?
    About an hour from Oakland would be my max. 1k an acre is hard to not do a fly by

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Those poor rural WV counties are not the place to move to if you have kids (unless you want them to hate you for it).

Sounds romantic, growing up in the hills and stuff, the reality is there is nothing to do for the kids but to smoke weed, drink, do shrooms and fock.

The schools are not well funded. Those 'rankings' reflect things like ACT scores and college placement. The odds of a kid from one of these schools to go to college are are low, not because the school is bad per se but because most of the students live in a social and economic reality where going to college is not even on the horizon. A job as concrete inspector with the dept. of highways for $16/hr is a prize.
    As few of the students are even aspiring to go to college, the schools tend to look awful on ranking systems that revolve around college prep.

Last edited:

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Yea. Wv is poor and sometimes not so bright. I believe they have an above average drug problem , smoking cigarettes makes you a bad ass. Beer flows. Not so much liquor, that is usually too expensive comparatively to Maryland.
    Education is like every where else. Without parental guidance, kids are dumb. You can always be a coal miner.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    You can't always choose your neighbors, but you'd be in close proximity to @Pushrod if you bought this beauty at a steal of a price!

If I were ready to retire, or could work remotely, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat!
    That property is amazing. Sounds like quite a deal, but then again it would probably be gone by now if it was.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Those poor rural WV counties are not the place to move to if you have kids (unless you want them to hate you for it).

Sounds romantic, growing up in the hills and stuff, the reality is there is nothing to do for the kids but to smoke weed, drink, do shrooms and fock.

The schools are not well funded. Those 'rankings' reflect things like ACT scores and college placement. The odds of a kid from one of these schools to go to college are are low, not because the school is bad per se but because most of the students live in a social and economic reality where going to college is not even on the horizon. A job as concrete inspector with the dept. of highways for $16/hr is a prize.
    As few of the students are even aspiring to go to college, the schools tend to look awful on ranking systems that revolve around college prep.
    Quoted for truth.

If you have kids and are looking to relocate to WV, Charleston, Clarksburg, Morgantown, Martinsburg, Wheeling, Parkersburg, Milton/Huntington, and Lewisburg are the areas you need to be looking at. That's not to say that a kid from Elkins or Buckhannon won't do well and get into college with you guiding them as good parents do, but the resources to help them get an even better leg up simply won't be there in the same amount that you see elsewhere. I'm sure Pushrod can speak to the Elkins area schools better than I can. I had plenty of friends from Phillipi, Buckhannon, and Elkins that got great educations, but that was 25 years ago.

That property is amazing. Sounds like quite a deal, but then again it would probably be gone by now if it was.

User @Pushrod can tell you exactly what it's like. That is literally his neighbor's property.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    300 acres at $800 per acre: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Robins-Fork-Rd-Renick-WV-24966/22446185_zpid/
    Now the BIG caveat with that one is that the only rights that convey are the surface rights. That's not a huge issue if the only thing being held onto are the mineral rights, but if they separated out the timber rights, I'd pass. That's not common in WV though. Worth checking with the real estate agent and the county courthouse none the less.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Quoted for truth.

If you have kids and are looking to relocate to WV, Charleston, Clarksburg, Morgantown, Martinsburg, Wheeling, Parkersburg, Milton/Huntington, and Lewisburg are the areas you need to be looking at. That's not to say that a kid from Elkins or Buckhannon won't do well and get into college with you guiding them as good parents do, but the resources to help them get an even better leg up simply won't be there in the same amount that you see elsewhere. I'm sure Pushrod can speak to the Elkins area schools better than I can. I had plenty of friends from Phillipi, Buckhannon, and Elkins that got great educations, but that was 25 years ago.

User @Pushrod can tell you exactly what it's like. That is literally his neighbor's property.
    Actually, Elkins schools are some of the best around and we've been happy with them for the most part. We work with my son constantly to make sure he gets an education over and above what they teach. He was number one grade-wise in his class last year for middle school (out of ~ 250 students).

There are many, many things for kids to do out here and I would recommend a kid being raised here over most other places. I grew up here and am a better person for it. He snow skis, hunts, fishes, mountain bikes, backpacks, caves (his favorite activity) among a myriad of other outdoor activities. The downside of living out here in the country is lack of other kids to play with. He has friends from school out occasionally, but mostly I spend my free time with him doing fun outdoor activities.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Actually, Elkins schools are some of the best around and we've been happy with them for the most part. We work with my son constantly to make sure he gets an education over and above what they teach. He was number one grade-wise in his class last year for middle school (out of ~ 250 students).
    Glad to hear that's still the case in Elkins. I'd be curious to see how things are education-wise in Tucker, Preston, and some of the western counties of the state that see smaller populations like Wetzel, Tyler, and Pleasants. I know Pocahontas county isn't quite as good as it used to be when I lived there.

I was speaking more to Educational opportunities in some of the more far-flung counties, especially down in the southern coalfields hence my caveat that I know people who got great educations in Elkins, Buckhannon, and Phillipi, but that you'd know better how things are currently.

I definitely agree that there's plenty for kids to do no matter where you live in WV. It's just a matter of being a good parent and making sure you get your kids to take the opportunities they have.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Another one right at about $1k/acre. This one has a small 4-person hunting cabin on the property that is fairly new. There's a gas well on the property and the mineral rights seem to transfer as the listing includes the fact that you get free natural gas (this is common in WV for when you allow a gas company to put up a well on your property and lease the rights to them).
    It's scheduled to be timbered spring of 2023, but it will be a selective cutting process which is pretty reasonable. You could likely get the property for less knowing this is the case. Knock $20k off the price tag at least.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    If 35-40 min to the resorts and 20min to Thomas is 'close enough', look at the Eglon Aurora Amboy area.
    If this is for an actual place to live, it has basic retail and a hospital that isn't half bad in Oakland, MD. For anything serious or better retail it's 1:20 to Morgantown.
    Thank you. We're looking for some property in order to build a reasonable weekend/getaway home on. Simple, low maintenance, two-car garage, and a natural property setting otherwise.
    I know the Davis/Thomas area quite well, and it's appealing distance wise (3-hour drive).

Andreas

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Very expensive, but damn is it nice. 5 acres and there's a HOA involved, but WOW!

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    Very expensive, but damn is it nice. 5 acres and there's a HOA involved, but WOW!
    Nice!!

Andreas

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

I bet there is a sad back story on why this is coming up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom