• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cow goes mooo

Huh? What?...
    Mar 26, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey there IPs,

Interested in more information on buying an M1 Garand. Doesn't have to be an original M1 and a reproduction would work. What is the availability and what are prices. A PM would be most appreciated.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Word of caution do NOT get a reproduction. :sad20: One company makes them that I know of, it was a cast receiver (forgot the name, Century maybe?) STAY AWAY FROM THEM. Spend a few bucks and do NOT buy a imitation Garand. :tdown:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The CMP would be my plan A. You'll wait for it, get what you pay for and have no regrets. Plan B would be a PP, shop or auction.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    To my knowledge, no one makes a reproduction Garand today. Ten or twenty years ago, the commercial firm Springfield Armory of Gennesco, Illinois made some using cast receivers, as Black Bart noted. They cost over $1200 20 years ago.

You can get a USGI rifle with a forged receiver delivered by Fed Ex right to your door, with no FFL. The Service Grade is $625, plus $24.95 shipping. That's half the cost of those cast-receiver repops sold for back in the 90s. And that's why no one makes repros these days.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    As others have suggested, definitely get your Garand from the CMP, and keep the paperwork that comes with it. A CMP "provenance" (as they like to say on Antiques Roadshow :)) will make it more valuable.

See http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

There are several requirements for buying from the CMP, all described somewhere on their web site.

There are people who live near the South Store and who will go there and choose rifles to your specification for what is, IMHO, a reasonable fee. I have done this and have been very pleased with the result. In my case, the guy went to the South Store on a Thursday, the day after he got my paperwork, etc., the rifles were shipped on Monday, and I had them by 9:30 Tuesday morning, which is faster service than you'll get from the CMP estore. Look around on http://forums.thecmp.org/ and you'll find some.

Note well a couple of things.

1. You'll need to use .30-06 loads intended for the Garand. Not doing so risks damaging the operating rod. google around a bit and you'll find plenty on this topic.

2. CMP Garands fall into the "some assembly required" category. They have had their headspace checked and they have been test fired; but they will be coated with cosmoline (one of mine seemed to be more cosmoline than rifle), which will have to be cleaned off. Figure on a few evenings worth of sweat equity per rifle before it's in condition to take to the range.

If you can get one with USGI wood, do so. Those original stocks are old-growth walnut. Clean off the cosmoline, give them several coats of boiled linseed oil (BLO), and you won't believe how gorgeous they will be! They'll practically glow in the dark.

Garands are great guns. I've read that the guys who carried them in battle loved them (even though they are very heavy!), and, having fired them, I can understand why. You won't regret getting one! :D

HTH.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you can qualify CMP is your best bet. If not, I have seen some in Christian Soldier and The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury PA recently.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Lou had two nice ones up at shooters discount in Mt Airy a week or two ago when I was up there.

Not too far above CMP pricing, especially when you consider you can look at them yourself and decide if that rifle is the one you want.. And of course no 30-120 day waiting period.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Pardon the hijack please, but what are the Garand people's opinion of one in .308? Also, doesn't Fulton Arms make a repro, or do they just refurbish originals?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There was a thread on the subject perhaps two months ago.

.308 Garands are very good. It's mostly a matter of ammo supply. As time goes by, .308 will be more readily available at reasonable prices than Garand-suitable M2 Ball will be. Hell, it already is.

So for a shooter, .308 is a smart choice.

However, the .308 Garands are not eligible for John C Garand matches, so bear that in mind.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Fulton rifles are all built on USGI receivers, so no, they're not reproductions. There are plenty of forged GI receivers available at reasonable prices. There's no reason to make more, and forgings would be very expensive.

There'a a company called LRB which is making forged M14 receivers. Looks like their cheapest is $819- and I'm surpised it's so cheap.

surplusfan

Feb 2, 2009
    PA
    sorry to hijack

why arent .308 garands allowed inthe john c garand matches? I wish they were. 20 years from now nobody will be able to score appropriate 30 06.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    There was a thread on the subject perhaps two months ago.

.308 Garands are very good. It's mostly a matter of ammo supply. As time goes by, .308 will be more readily available at reasonable prices than Garand-suitable M2 Ball will be. Hell, it already is.

So for a shooter, .308 is a smart choice.

However, the .308 Garands are not eligible for John C Garand matches, so bear that in mind.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Fulton rifles are all built on USGI receivers, so no, they're not reproductions. There are plenty of forged GI receivers available at reasonable prices. There's no reason to make more, and forgings would be very expensive.

There'a a company called LRB which is making forged M14 receivers. Looks like their cheapest is $819- and I'm surpised it's so cheap.

Isn't an M1A eligible for the matches? That's .308.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Word of caution do NOT get a reproduction. :sad20: One company makes them that I know of, it was a cast receiver (forgot the name, Century maybe?) STAY AWAY FROM THEM. Spend a few bucks and do NOT buy a imitation Garand. :tdown:

I think it was either national ordinance or federal ordinance both used cast recievers. Ok on an M1 carbine due to the low pressure of the round, not good on a garand.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    why arent .308 garands allowed inthe john c garand matches? I wish they were. 20 years from now nobody will be able to score appropriate 30 06.

Rifles must be "as issued".

Read and enjoy:

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

Better yet, check this out:

http://m14forum.com/m1-garand-accuracy/71868-john-c-garand-match-legal-modifications.html

As for a future rule change, I think I would favor allowing 7.62 NATO. Otherwise, only people who could afford expensive match ammo would be able to participate, and that would defeat the whole purpose, in my view.

There are plenty of other high dollar equipment races for people who want to play those games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom