• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Yes but the training should be grandfathered as I was originally denied as a member of SAF under the Wrenn case.

You would think so, but none of the court orders said "you are to issue permits to applicants previously denied on G&S alone (or to the plaintiffs in this case)." That additional relief wasn't granted (or requested?). The court orders only said, "no more G&S for you DC, and you need to redo your application materials to not fool people." So all of our past applications were fully adjudicated under the law at the time (now unconstitutional) and denied, and we are essentially fresh applicants. At least they aren't being a full bag of dicks and charging us the application fee again, though that would probably invite further legal scrutiny.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I know a couple of residents who took full class and submitted application late September, just before the post Oct 5 rush, got issued in about 65 days. So in terms of full training, residents, no good cause submitted, and before the rush, some have been issued starting early Dec.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Anyone know if you can use your own handgun for the range time testing? I heard a rumor that you gotta use theirs. I'm taking the class coming up at MSAR end of the month.

some of the classes are classroom classes in DC (eg spears?), and then range in Md or Va. If the class part is in DC it is probably good for an instructor to tell people to bring no guns to anything in case someone brings one into DC that is not registered. My class and range training was outside of DC and we brought and used our own firearms

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    some of the classes are classroom classes in DC (eg spears?), and then range in Md or Va. If the class part is in DC it is probably good for an instructor to tell people to bring no guns to anything in case someone brings one into DC that is not registered. My class and range training was outside of DC and we brought and used our own firearms

My 16 hour class is at MD Small Arms Range tomorrow and Sunday (Jan 6 - 7). I was told that the firearm and ammo will be provided as part of the cost so no need to take either with me.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone know if you can use your own handgun for the range time testing? I heard a rumor that you gotta use theirs. I'm taking the class coming up at MSAR end of the month.

Did mine at MSAR, and used provided G17 and ammo. You can use your own gun, and they will provide ammo. The vast majority in my class brought their own gun.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    My right was further denied again today by DC. I went to the permit office at 3 o clock. To pick up my permit and was told that SPO King had left for the day and he was the only one that could help me. Total b******* now I have to go back again tomorrow or the next day.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    My right was further denied again today by DC. I went to the permit office at 3 o clock. To pick up my permit and was told that SPO King had left for the day and he was the only one that could help me. Total b******* now I have to go back again tomorrow or the next day.

They don't mail it to you????

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

The permit guys leave at 2:30 I believe.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Yesterday was 90 days for me.. I was preliminary approved but my training waiver based on my MD permit renewal training(Nov 2017) was denied. I was told that I didn't need to shoot at the range (based on my MD renewal) but I have to take 16 hours of training and retake the law course (originally took Nov 2015).:mad54:

Interesting that they gave you a range time waiver. Did you fire more than 25 rounds last time? Consensus is that you have to shoot at least 50 rounds.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    The permit office is open from 9-5. They could have processed and given me my permit had SPO King given them my file. He apparently is hording files and not communicating with the people in the firearms office. Additionally, he supposed to be there until 3pm but leaves early at 2:45. Regardless if the hours aren't 9-5 to pickup a permit it should say that in the approval letter, which it does not.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Mine was a preliminary approval requiring additional training. I had to go downtown for work and went to the office to turn in my additional training and get my permit. Was also told by SPO King over the phone if I wanted to register a 2nd firearm I would have to do that as well. Even though I already submitted paperwork and paid $13 for the 2nd pistol he insisted I had not paid for, nor registered a 2nd firearm( I have a receipt that says otherwise). Makes me believe based on his attitude on the phone and his actions in dealing with paperwork he either doesn't want to issue permits or he hates his job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom