• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The way I read it the section does not apply to someone who is licensed AND lives or works in that GFZ.

Note the DC law also allows you to pick up or drop off your kids while CCW if you do not exit your vehicle.

If you exit the vehicle the firearm must be stowed per the DC transport statute.

ETA_I think DC was trying to copy the Federal GFSZA but mucked it up.

It needs to be fixed .

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    [/B]

Doesn't surprise me at all. With all the time, aggravation, money spent on this it's no wonder people are skipping out even if they're guaranteed a permit if they navigate all the hoops.
    I'm sure the WaPo and other leftist rags will say, "See! No one wants the permit here!". If DC was smart they'd simply require what VA requires and make some money for their department.
    If my mother had wheels she'd be a wagon. :D

You are 100% right that they could make money. But D.C., like Maryland wants as few people as possible to carry guns, and in reality, wants NO citizens to carry.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Not to give them any ideas, but would it be possible for them to issue conditional permits like MD? To me, conditional permits seem anathema to "shall issue", but I wouldn't put it past them to try.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Not to give them any ideas, but would it be possible for them to issue conditional permits like MD? To me, conditional permits seem anathema to "shall issue", but I wouldn't put it past them to try.

Conditional permits? Are you talking about restrictions?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Why would you suggest such a thing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    https://www.arsenalattorneys.com/fi...sue-jurisdiction-for-concealed-carry-licenses

Excerpt of the page....

"There has been some misunderstanding recently concerning where one can carry in the District. A recent Facebook post that has been widely disseminated interpreted the DC Gun Free Schools Act as prohibiting carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of a school and certain other locations, which would effectively make 90 plus percent of the District off limits to carry. This law, however, is an enhancement statute that doubles the penalty for otherwise illegally carrying a firearm. It does not apply to persons who have the legal right to carry, such as persons with a DC Concealed Pistol License.

DC law separately sets out locations where CPL holders may not carry. They include the actual school and university grounds, government buildings, medical facilities, night clubs, stadiums, the DC Metro, the monuments on the Mall, and designated areas around the White House, the Vice President’s residence, and the Capital Grounds. It does not include parks, sidewalks and streets, private businesses, or other outdoor locations. Nor does it include residences or houses of worship where the CPL holder has permission to carry from the owner or responsible manager."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I like this interpretation but that’s not my read. I’ll go with George Lyons interpretation

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I like this interpretation but that’s not my read. I’ll go with George Lyons interpretation

This is George Lyons interpretation. George is with Arsenal Attorneys. George Probably wrote the Arsenal Attorneys post.

It is not a crime for a D.C. CCL holder to carry within a school zone without committing another crime.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    This is George Lyons interpretation. George is with Arsenal Attorneys. George Probably wrote the Arsenal Attorneys post.

It is not a crime for a D.C. CCL holder to carry within a school zone without committing another crime.

+1, Yep I would go with this interpretation. It is also backed up by the DC Councilman's interpretation on the public record as to the laws intent.

In my experience carrying (done correctly) no one knows you are armed until it matters. Contact with LEO is generally minimal to begin with and is mostly a non event. I don't believe the hype over no go zones should be trumpeted by us in a paranoid fit. Don't carry in Schools, DC Govt buildings, federal property, the White House, and memorials and you will be fine. We need as many people applying for permits as we possibly can get. The more permits issued the harder it gets for them to deny the right.

Last edited:

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

George coverved the subject very well in his DC law class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom