• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well I have found that although the lawmakers, certainly racine's office, and the political appointments in DC MPD may not care about the bill of rights, the firearms office is not a bunch of jacka55es.

I would -- ask in writing -- why 4+2 refresher course that is given 26 to 50 months after issued licenses that are expired and need renewal, is somehow different than refresher course being used 28 months after two day course was taken and passed on license denied for lack of G/R that has reapplication.

if they stonewall on that I would see if your original trainer will give you a discount for an new full course certification due to you have already taken the course

I asked if I could do the law portion, answer was no in writing. Sixteen hours and 2hr range. I have three NRA pistol courses, but the sticking point seems to be the within two years.

As to the bolded comment, myself and some others have just applied liberal amounts of Novocain.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    A few things for the group:

I was at the permit office this morning renewing my permit and spoke to several people in the office about people who had applied and been denied, and now are reapplying. They said it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to get your permit. Those applying for the first time will take 2 months or more.

My permit had expired in July, but I was able to get it renewed today once I got the 4 hour and 2 hour classes. Honestly, I was not planning on renewing because I thought the training was going to be too expensive. I was able to take both classes for around $100. I'm still not sure why I was training exempt when given my permit the first time, but had to do live fire to renew. They had no idea either.

Also, as most of you know, in DC you have to register and carry a registration card for each firearm you plan to carry. When they were first issued 2 years ago they were valid for 3 years and had an expiration date on them. However after the law suit they were no longer subject to expiration dates, so they reprinted all of my cards for free, with out expiration dates.

I was in and out of the office in less than 30 minutes.

I'm not putting the instructors contact info in my post because they are not an IP. But PM me if interested.

Mods please edit in not allowed

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The original 2014 act required 2 hours of range PRACTICE for renewal, rather than an actual qual score.

Both the act and the DCMR are a bit vague on renewal requirements for people who were originally exempted on original permit applications.

Seems kind of incongruous to exempt people on original permits but then require training and range time to renew

But it's DC after all.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

I was at the permit office this morning renewing my permit and spoke to several people in the office about people who had applied and been denied, and now are reapplying. They said it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to get your permit. Those applying for the first time will take 2 months or more.

My permit had expired in July, but I was able to get it renewed today once I got the 4 hour and 2 hour classes. Honestly, I was not planning on renewing because I thought the training was going to be too expensive. I was able to take both classes for around $100. I'm still not sure why I was training exempt when given my permit the first time, but had to do live fire to renew. They had no idea either.

Also, as most of you know, in DC you have to register and carry a registration card for each firearm you plan to carry. When they were first issued 2 years ago they were valid for 3 years and had an expiration date on them. However after the law suit they were no longer subject to expiration dates, so they reprinted all of my cards for free, with out expiration dates.

I was in and out of the office in less than 30 minutes.

I'm not putting the instructors contact info in my post because they are not an IP. But PM me if interested.

Mods please edit in not allowed

What was your original training consisting of?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

Yesterday, when I went in and signed the form stating that nothing has changed, I was told 90 days whether reapplying or first time.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i have looked at what the refresher course should consist besides the reference in the original act for 2 hours of PRACTICE but found nothing. Perhaps one of our instructors can weigh in.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    if you were exempt by Military training the first time, what changed?

did the passage of two years negate that?

sheesh

ETA-Did you resubmit your DD214 with your renewal application?

any other state CCW's?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Very good info, thanks gre24ene, et al.

I got the New Hampshire permit as it was VERY easy, and I have carried in Pa.

I'm more likely to get elected Pope than get a DC permit as it is just too much of a fustercluck, for something I will probably never use.

Even if Whitlow's does return. :cool:

Good luck to all of you who will still persevere. :thumbsup:

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    if you were exempt by Military training the first time, what changed?

did the passage of two years negate that?

sheesh

ETA-Did you resubmit your DD214 with your renewal application?

any other state CCW's?

I was told by Sgt Hall that when you renew you have to do 4 hour and 2 hour classes even if you were exempt when original permit was issued. He was even confused..

MD,PA, UT, DC CCW's

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Did they give you a waiver due to your 16 hour Maryland training?

If my work schedule permits I hope to apply for a DC permit this Friday morning. I'm going to try using my Maryland 16 hour course, plus DC 2 hour law, plus some other training (not DC approved), and see if they accept it. I'll report back how it goes.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    If my work schedule permits I hope to apply for a DC permit this Friday morning. I'm going to try using my Maryland 16 hour course, plus DC 2 hour law, plus some other training (not DC approved), and see if they accept it. I'll report back how it goes.

i am interested in this, specifically the MD 16 hour class

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom