Would you carry a .44spl if you had one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you carry a 5 shot .44spl revolver if you had one?

• Yes, it would be my primary carry gun

Votes: 7 9.3%
    • Yes, occasionally

Votes: 41 54.7%
    • No, there are better rounds for defense

Votes: 9 12.0%
    • No, I wouldn't carry a 5 shot revolver

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Like you I love revolvers, and shoot them often but you both are right. I knew it too, but you all are confirming my thoughts.
    So I’ll try to join you 21st century kids and look into a mechanized heater. Lol.
    So what’s the pistol under the revolver? I’m interested.
    It's a SIG p365 with in an XL grip. 12+1 of 9mm. I think it could take +P ammo, but I don't have any.
    The standard grip would be two rounds shorter, and it would really disappear under that big ol' wheel gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seems to me you might rephrase that, "Would you carry a .44 Magnum?"
    Read these and get back to me.

51kpMyBBITL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg
    51gGRyezohL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg
    41LBbPeiL5L.jpg

Keith's .44 Spl load is ballistically equivalent to modern generic .44 Magnum .

You should have posted some references to Skeeter in this instance .

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I’ve got a charter arms bulldog looks like hell. I paid 200 for it and it’s one of my favorites. I just got a simply rugged pocket holster. Haven’t carried it yet because I’m still having fun carrying a detective special on my belt or a smith air weight in my pocket. It’s definitely a hoot to shoot. Big round lead bullets in a pocket gun what’s not to like.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    To a Big Bore Revolver

What's the difference between these two pictures?

View attachment 392767 View attachment 392768

Nothing because you're not going to stop shooting until you convinced either one that they're Dead

The Brown one may have extra sub layers of Fat, Muscle and Gristle

The Blue one may have extra layers of cotton, wool, denim, leather or fat
    The blue one has more semen in its stomach

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've always wanted a Bulldog , but all I'd come accross were either beat to $hit or overpriced .

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    You're gonna see that age plays a factor on the response you're going to get OP. Revolvers were the king until the late 80's and the older guys just love 'em.
    Hey, not cool. I'm a young... 52 :innocent0
    Let me start out like this. If someone wants to carry a revolver, that's fine. But let's be clear, taking your revolver to the range every so often, firing 50 rounds to blow the dust off you, is not "training". Don't fool yourself. I don't mean you specifically.

I see people once a year at my LEOSA qualification with revolvers and they have a shit time trying to keep up with a 50 round course of fire. Hogarth and Erwos don't see revolvers in the many quality classes they take.
    Anyone who runs any quality self defense training class doesn't even allow a revolver. The pistol just cannot keep up with the efficiency and round counts of semi's.
    That's why I said for someone with their revolver, should put themselves in a police shooting video and see if a revolver would cut it. It won't.

There's a difference between what makes you feel "secure" and what provides you with the best security.
    Small revolvers or a Ruger LCP (Little crappy pistol) makes someone feel secure, simply by just having a gun on their person.
    A 9mm semi auto with 10-15 rounds per mag and a spare mag is "enough".

The reason policies agencies transitioned to semi auto's in the late 80's early 90's was because their revolvers were not able to keep up with the "firepower" of semi autos out on the street.

If you carry a revolver for your self defense, that's fine. I sometimes just throw a hammerless airweight in my winter coat pocket to go for a 20 minute walk at night. But I realize and understand that I am not even half as good or prepared with that as I am with a semi and spare mag carried properly.
    Again, don't use a "production class gun" when you are shooting in an "open class" competition. Why put yourself at a disadvantage?

Nothing wrong with a revolver as long as one understands their capabilities are limited.

I know as usual, someone will misunderstand everything I said here and will start some sort of flaming :)
    I'm also a believer in capacity. Not just for the capacity, but the guns with a higher capacity will generally be more capable overall than other smaller autos or J-frames: full grip for better control and draw, heavier for faster follow up shots, longer sight radius for quicker sight acquisition, etc. My most common carry is a SIG P365 that replaced an older SIG P290RS once I applied for my MD permit due to the larger capacity in a similar sized package. I also have a Glock 19 that I intend as a carry gun (I have carried it since getting my permit, but I do usually go with the SIG), and I often carried a CZ P01 or PCR on my non-resident UT permit (and I plan to carry the PCR this weekend if I can get around to cleaning it and not taking it to the range to re-dirty it nearly every range trip). And yet, I also love a revolver.

I've found that I load up my Taurus 85CH, 856UL or Colt King Cobra almost as much as my P365. With the rounded shape and softer edges they are just more comfortable IWB, and I'm confident in my shooting abilities with them (not that I'm not confident with my autos, in fact, with my 1911s and CZ I'm a little better). However, in a nod to my belief in capacity, I do usually find myself carrying two, plus at least one speed strip when I carry a revolver the majority of the time. So, that works in winter. I can pocket carry the 2nd gun in my coat pocket, or if I want to do pants pocket carry, I can carry the things I usually carry in my right front pocket in a coat pocket. Thus, when the weather warms and it is no longer jacket weather, I doubt I'll be carrying my revolvers as much.

Generally, I do consider the auto to be superior for CCW (for home defense where one can have multiple guns loaded and ready at hand more easily, I like them about equally), but there is a role for a revolver.

Not really the topic at hand (since the K-frame sized 431 isn't suited to this role), but I do think revolvers are better as pocket guns. I'm about ready to give up on pocket autos. They are often less reliable than a larger auto, the sharp corners scream gun if they print in your pocket, and the smallest guns where you don't have to worry about printing are in calibers that I don't trust (the smallest calibers I trust are .38+p and 9mm, I just don't trust .380ACP and smaller/weaker). A J-frame (or the 6 shot Taurus 856) lightweight alloy revolver is reliable, the 5 or 6 rounds of .38+P isn't really at a disadvantage vs. the small pocket autos, and I find the rounded shapes don't scream gun as much. Instead of a gun shaped lump in your pocket, it looks like you have "stuff" in your pockets. Also, a BUG will probably most often be used in a situation where your right hand is engaged. You may be in very close quarters and blocking with your strong arm, or you may be grappling on the ground. At pushed up against your attacker ranges, an auto may be pushed out of battery, a revolver will not.

I have an older S&W 44 spl revolver that I carried in VA bear country, for want of anything bigger. No snubby, 6" bbl in an old Heiser holster. Buffalo bore heavy ammunition. Eventually I got a 41 magnum for the purpose, but I don't have any plans to visiting the VA mountains any time soon.
    Since we do not live in Grizzly country, I may load the 431 up with Underwood or Buffalo Bore outdoors/wildlife defense rounds when camping and bringing it instead of one of my .357mag revolvers. If I was going into Grizzly (or moose) territory, I'd at minimum want a heavy loaded .357mag or to buy a new .41mag to replace the Smith 57 I used to have, and more likely, I would finally buy a .44mag (for Grizzly territory that is, I'd likely go with the .357mag or my .45LC S&W 625MG in moose country).

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One of the things that occurs to me as I read this thread is that I carry very differently than some of you, but it's been forced on me. My Dept dictates what I carry off-duty, so even with a MD CCW now I can't see me ever switching away from a Glock on my right hip and a spare mag at the 8 o'clock position. More than 95% of the time it's OWB.

I did really rough math on it this morning. On a work day, I move the gun six times a day minimum. From the safe to my off duty holster; off duty holster to work safe; work safe to on duty holster; on duty to work safe; work safe to off duty; off duty to safe at home. Over the course of my career, I've moved the gun in and out of that spot more than 34k times and that's not counting weekends or training.

My point here is muscle memory. As much as I love some oddball guns, I can't wrap my head around getting one to carry that would require a different set up, different manual of arms to operate under stress or carried in a different spot. I really believe that under stress I will fail back to that muscle memory and I'm going to go for a Glock on my right hip. Do as you will, your mileage will vary.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Oh, as for all the Charter Arms comments, I have looked at them many times over the years. Since Taurus and S&W doesn't make any new .44spl in this size, I strongly considered them several times actually. However, the even more hit and miss quality than Taurus in a bad year for Taurus is what stopped me.

I’ve got a charter arms bulldog looks like hell. I paid 200 for it and it’s one of my favorites. I just got a simply rugged pocket holster. Haven’t carried it yet because I’m still having fun carrying a detective special on my belt or a smith air weight in my pocket. It’s definitely a hoot to shoot. Big round lead bullets in a pocket gun what’s not to like.
    I have a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar with IWB straps for my King Cobra. That may just be my favorite revolver holster.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    One of the things that occurs to me as I read this thread is that I carry very differently than some of you, but it's been forced on me. My Dept dictates what I carry off-duty, so even with a MD CCW now I can't see me ever switching away from a Glock on my right hip and a spare mag at the 8 o'clock position. More than 95% of the time it's OWB.

I did really rough math on it this morning. On a work day, I move the gun six times a day minimum. From the safe to my off duty holster; off duty holster to work safe; work safe to on duty holster; on duty to work safe; work safe to off duty; off duty to safe at home. Over the course of my career, I've moved the gun in and out of that spot more than 34k times and that's not counting weekends or training.

My point here is muscle memory. As much as I love some oddball guns, I can't wrap my head around getting one to carry that would require a different set up, different manual of arms to operate under stress or carried in a different spot. I really believe that under stress I will fail back to that muscle memory and I'm going to go for a Glock on my right hip. Do as you will, your mileage will vary.
    Other than an occasional pocket gun, I always carry strong side at somewhere around the 3:00 or 4:00 position. I almost always carry IWB, though I may go OWB in the same position for some guns for comfort as I get older.

As for different guns, my carry guns have generally the same basic operation. DA first shot (or striker), the slide release is in essentially the same place (the classic P-series SIGs have their slide release in a radically different position than the standard, hence no longer carrying my P229 or using it for home defense). I have been considering adding back 1911s to carry, and I have added them back to home defense. I shoot them very well, and I am practicing a lot with the safety. Still, I haven't actually started carrying one again (yet), and if I practice enough with the safety on the draw, I figure I'll just swipe the non-existent safety on my DA/SA and striker guns which won't be a big deal.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Hacksaw Jim Duggan approves.

The 68-year-old told the wrestling news outlet that a man in his mid-20s entered through his and wife Debra’s front door. Duggan said he took the man down by himself and grabbed his .44 caliber pistol and held the man at gunpoint.
    FNC

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    One factor that has not been much discussed in this thread is how proficient one is with a particular carry gun.

There are at least 20 million active carry permits and 25 states do not require permits. Some states like PA require no training at all to get a permit.

I suspect that there are multiple millions of at least occasional carriers that have not fired a round, practiced their draw, practiced a malfunction drill or cleaned their gun in a year or more. I bet a lot of them do not carry a reload.

In a more perfect world everyone carrying a gun would have have more training. In reality I suspect that the vast majority of carriers have never fired a handgun other than at a well lit range, feet planted firmly on the floor, starting with a two handed low ready hold, aiming a single target that doesn't move and firing one carefully aimed shot at a time. (phew - sorry about the run on sentence)

Personally I have never taken a "combat course" where I need to move my feet, move from position to position, engage multiple targets, make shoot/no shoot decisions, reload on the fly as I move, etc. That is my bad and is on me. I know I should address that shortcoming.

I would never opine that someone should be required to meet some training standard before allowed to carry a gun to protect themselves.

For someone that is not well practiced with a handgun of any kind and is not a "gun person" they might be better served with a revolver. Just a thought.

And before I would suggest that someone change from a revolver to a semiauto I would recommend that getting more realistic training should be a higher priority.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    One factor that has not been much discussed in this thread is how proficient one is with a particular carry gun.

There are at least 20 million active carry permits and 25 states do not require permits. Some states like PA require no training at all to get a permit.

I suspect that there are multiple millions of at least occasional carriers that have not fired a round, practiced their draw, practiced a malfunction drill or cleaned their gun in a year or more. I bet a lot of them do not carry a reload.

In a more perfect world everyone carrying a gun would have have more training. In reality I suspect that the vast majority of carriers have never fired a handgun other than at a well lit range, feet planted firmly on the floor, starting with a two handed low ready hold, aiming a single target that doesn't move and firing one carefully aimed shot at a time. (phew - sorry about the run on sentence)

Personally I have never taken a "combat course" where I need to move my feet, move from position to position, engage multiple targets, make shoot/no shoot decisions, reload on the fly as I move, etc. That is my bad and is on me. I know I should address that shortcoming.

I would never opine that someone should be required to meet some training standard before allowed to carry a gun to protect themselves.

For someone that is not well practiced with a handgun of any kind and is not a "gun person" they might be better served with a revolver. Just a thought.

And before I would suggest that someone change from a revolver to a semiauto I would recommend that getting more realistic training should be a higher priority.

Couldn't agree more. Any debate between the utility of a semi versus a revolver can be an interesting discussion. But for the discussion to be more than an exercise in grins and giggles, it has to involve and include the competency of the shooter. Neither a revolver nor a semi is, nor will it ever be, capable of doing anything by themselves.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    In spite of all I have written up thread I agree with the sage comments from Blaster and others and I would never, ever consider carrying a revolver (or a 380 or a single stack 9mm) if I knew I was going into a high risk environment. I would also want to have a couple of extra magazines in a belt pouch and not casually in my pocket.

That being said I consider myself to be reasonably competent with either type of gun. If my semi-auto doesn't cycle I don't have to spend seconds looking at it while i am trying to figure out what is wrong and how to correct the situation. I shoot a few thousand rounds at the range every year, clean and lube my carry guns and at least practice drawing from a holster at home every once in a while.

Maybe I'm just being naive or stupid. If I wouldn't carry a revolver in a high risk environment why would I consider ever carrying a revolver (or a 380) at all? Some of those other guns are just plain easier to carry and maybe I'm a little too lazy and complacent.

Go to war with a revolver? Pure folly. Revolver for police use? Obsoleted years ago. For concealed carry in a low risk environment especially for a non-gun person - there I'm not so sure that a revolver has no place. That's one man's opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Back on topic. If I was carrying a revolver the 44 Special would still be a fine choice - if I had one. It would be just as good or beat a 5 shot 38 Special in my opinion.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    joppaj, excellent post. That is a real world useful tidbit without an ‘absolute’ must do preaching. Thank you.

I’ll get flamed for this but here goes, based on experience and proliferation from several sources…including other shooters.

Defensive shooting courses are set up around semi autos and many around high cap guns. This is the age of semi auto forearm dominance. Of course, the instructors don’t want revolvers in the course…it takes more time and they don’t have (make) the course time to compensate for reloading and extended string time due to lower capacity. Period. This does not make the revolver a poor choice. Perhaps not the best in many others’ opinions, but it doesn’t make it a bad choice.

I mention this because they have the same opinions toward single stacks, 1911’s, and using the slide stop to drop the slide (muscle memory, loss of fine motor skill and so on). And that jamb causing hand over slide manipulation. Like one can’t learn to run those guns. One will find this on youtube videos from the Glock pontificators and from the Glocksters in person. Tell a Glock guy you drop the slide with the slide release and they will declare you an abomination and damn you to shooters’ hell.

No secrect I like 1911’s. The ccw class I took, I used a 365 because I was informed the 1911’s were discouraged…virtually forbidden. During the course and gun selection aspect of the course I found out why.

Well, anyway, I never missed dropping the slide on the 365 with the slide stop. It was automatic, I was doing it automatically (no pun intended). While I am bringing my gun up on target and dropping the slide most others are still pulling the slide back. I was rough in some areas at first because I wasn't using my 1911, was the only only one drawing and changing mags from under the garment but was smooth by the end of the coarse. Oh, that 12 shot 365…sucks during mag changes. So much for its wonder gun advantages. And the courses of fire were designed around 5 round strings (revolver neutral).

I am not saying this to antagoniz…but speaking in absolutes is usually eventually self defeating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom